NBLSA Job Fairs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NBLSA Job Fairs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

For current participants: if you've received preselects from your particular region's fair, please share.

For past participants: please comment on your experience with the fairs. For example, if you think some firms are just filling slots (albeit only 10 or 20 for any given firm from what I've seen at the NEBLSA fair) and not actively hiring from these fairs.

Very happy with my results from the first session of the NEBLSA fair: 18 preselects. 1 alt. 1 not released.

Anonymous User

Re: NBLSA Job Fairs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For current participants: if you've received preselects from your particular region's fair, please share.

For past participants: please comment on your experience with the fairs. For example, if you think some firms are just filling slots (albeit only 10 or 20 for any given firm from what I've seen at the NEBLSA fair) and not actively hiring from these fairs.

Very happy with my results from the first session of the NEBLSA fair: 18 preselects. 1 alt. 1 not released.

Current participant in NEBLSA job fair: 0 preselects one alternate. Top 10 school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm

1 pre-select, 0 alts. below median T20.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:10 pm

would like to know what firms are potentially filling up slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Did this last year. Had 3 interviews and 1 callback through the NEBLSA fair. I don't know how for real they are but if you have 18 preselects I wouldn't worry about it. However I did the MABLSA fair and had about 10 interviews and 0 callbacks. I heard Ballard Spahr DC was there and they didn't even plan on having a summer class. They asked students what office they were interested in and then neglected to forward that information to said office. So its probably hit or miss with which firms are taking it seriously. You should feel comfortable with firms 10 slots preselecting you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did this last year. Had 3 interviews and 1 callback through the NEBLSA fair. I don't know how for real they are but if you have 18 preselects I wouldn't worry about it. However I did the MABLSA fair and had about 10 interviews and 0 callbacks. I heard Ballard Spahr DC was there and they didn't even plan on having a summer class. They asked students what office they were interested in and then neglected to forward that information to said office. So its probably hit or miss with which firms are taking it seriously. You should feel comfortable with firms 10 slots preselecting you.

OP here.

Do you think your MABLSA results were more a product of those ten firms, rather than you as a candidate? (i.e. they were small firms who had significantly reduced or cancelled summer classes - and thus were just filling up slots)

For the question about firms filling up slots.. i'm not exactly sure what you're asking.. but the firms that preselected me were two v10s, three v20s, six v50s, six v100s, and one NR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did this last year. Had 3 interviews and 1 callback through the NEBLSA fair. I don't know how for real they are but if you have 18 preselects I wouldn't worry about it. However I did the MABLSA fair and had about 10 interviews and 0 callbacks. I heard Ballard Spahr DC was there and they didn't even plan on having a summer class. They asked students what office they were interested in and then neglected to forward that information to said office. So its probably hit or miss with which firms are taking it seriously. You should feel comfortable with firms 10 slots preselecting you.

OP here.

Do you think your MABLSA results were more a product of those ten firms, rather than you as a candidate? (i.e. they were small firms who had significantly reduced or cancelled summer classes - and thus were just filling up slots)

For the question about firms filling up slots.. i'm not exactly sure what you're asking.. but the firms that preselected me were two v10s, three v20s, six v50s, six v100s, and one NR.

I mean its always possible. I'm not going to act like i'm the best interviewer in the world but I interviewed well enough to get 4cbs and 2 offers. I think I had preselects from Morgan Lewis, Ballard Spahr, Pepper Hamilton, Pillsbury Winthrop, Howrey, Venable, Federal Reserve Board, Federal Election Committee, Groom Law Group that's all I can really. Could have just been a tough market, poor interviewing, or firms not taking it seriously. Who knows. Like i said, either way with 18 preselects at NEBLSA you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 pm

NEBLSA. 15 bids, 15 preselects. T10, top 20%.

Edit: updated
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 am

NEBLSA: 3 Preselects for the first round, still awaiting second round results
WRBLSA: 6 Preselects

T25, above median, journal

I'm hoping that something comes out of this. OCI this year isn't looking promising.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 am

Are NEBlSA supplemental preselects up yet? I have a hard time believing I was not invited by all the firms I bid on based on the results from the regular bidding session. Maybe more qualified students bid this time around?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are NEBlSA supplemental preselects up yet? I have a hard time believing I was not invited by all the firms I bid on based on the results from the regular bidding session. Maybe more qualified students bid this time around?

Op here. I imagine that most of the firms' selections either haven't been made or are just not up yet. So far it shows that I received 2 preselects and not invited for the rest. For the last session, I had shearman and stroock change from not invited to preselect without any word from the neblsa coordinators. And then of course there was the cleary delay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

T20, Slightly Below Median, Secondary Journal

NBLSA LA: 4 Preslects, 2 Alts
NBLSA NE: 3 Preselcts, 1 Alst
NBLSA MA: Pending, but 2 preselects In

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

I never even heard of this job fair till right now. WTF? So fucking pissed!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm

That's really unfortunate. The NEBLSA fair has about 60 employers in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are NEBlSA supplemental preselects up yet? I have a hard time believing I was not invited by all the firms I bid on based on the results from the regular bidding session. Maybe more qualified students bid this time around?

Op here. I imagine that most of the firms' selections either haven't been made or are just not up yet. So far it shows that I received 2 preselects and not invited for the rest. For the last session, I had shearman and stroock change from not invited to preselect without any word from the neblsa coordinators. And then of course there was the cleary delay.

Very possible its just tougher competition. The first session had about 40 firms with 20 bids. The second session was 19 firms and 10 bids but includes the EPA, US equal employment, Sullivan & Cromwell resume drop, Day pitney which was also in the first session, New York city law department, Kings county district attorney, NY district attorney, and a firm in Cleveland. So everyone in the fair probably bid on the same 12-13 firms. Much harder to get a preselect. Would have been easier if they were all one session.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Anyone doing the western region job fair? The recently updated the "slots" column and now has some firms at 4 slots 7, 2, etc. Is this a mistake or have they just decided to interview small groups? IIRC when I bid they were all 20 or 10 slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very possible its just tougher competition. The first session had about 40 firms with 20 bids. The second session was 19 firms and 10 bids but includes the EPA, US equal employment, Sullivan & Cromwell resume drop, Day pitney which was also in the first session, New York city law department, Kings county district attorney, NY district attorney, and a firm in Cleveland. So everyone in the fair probably bid on the same 12-13 firms. Much harder to get a preselect. Would have been easier if they were all one session.

Depends where in the pool of bidders you are. If you are already one of the most qualified in the pool then you are going to be competing against the same bidders you competed against for the elite firms (Simpson, Cravath, Davis, etc.) plus a bunch of other people who are not as competitive. So if you did well with the elite firms in the first round (where you competed w/ the most qualified the pool had to offer) then I would not expect different results in the supp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

My friend talked to someone in charge of the fair and they said employers only picked those they wanted to interview with. They said any free spots are a result of employers deciding not to use all of their open slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone doing the western region job fair? The recently updated the "slots" column and now has some firms at 4 slots 7, 2, etc. Is this a mistake or have they just decided to interview small groups? IIRC when I bid they were all 20 or 10 slots.

Yes, I'm heading to the WBLSA. If this "total slots" column is accurate, I will have 4 interviews with 4 (or less) slots and 1 interview with 9 slots. This makes me think that if it's true that firms are only interviewing 3-4 students in some cases, that those students will 1) have less competition for the internship and 2) employers are serious about interviewing and offering positions to students at this fair and not just wasting time to show their "commitment to diversity."

I'm taking it as good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 am

I only got 1 preselect at this Supplemental NE fair, but 4 from the regular bidding session. I think that more students bid for the same few legit employers (as someone has already mentioned on here). Still excited to interview with these places in addition to anything that I get from on-campus interviews.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Depends where in the pool of bidders you are. If you are already one of the most qualified in the pool then you are going to be competing against the same bidders you competed against for the elite firms (Simpson, Cravath, Davis, etc.) plus a bunch of other people who are not as competitive. So if you did well with the elite firms in the first round (where you competed w/ the most qualified the pool had to offer) then I would not expect different results in the supp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:53 am

T10, upper half, and I got only ONE from supplemental bidding. Still has not changed. There seems to be something wrong with BLSA or something. B/c I got good preselects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:T10, upper half, and I got only ONE from supplemental bidding. Still has not changed. There seems to be something wrong with BLSA or something. B/c I got good preselects.

Same situation here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 am

OP here. E-mail confirmation this morning that employers are still making their selections for the supplemental NEBLSA fair. Another preselect just popped up for me and now we can accept the preselects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:T10, upper half, and I got only ONE from supplemental bidding. Still has not changed. There seems to be something wrong with BLSA or something. B/c I got good preselects.

we are twins! hahahaha!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 am

What firms have people heard back from in the supplemental?

Return to “Legal Employment”