Question about how OCI works Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about how OCI works

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 pm

So, firms send representatives to a school and they give out a certain number of interview slots. A bigger (or more lowly ranked) firm can have 80 slots, while a smaller (or higher ranked) firm can have 10 slots. Students "bid" on the slots, which is to say they announce their desire to have one of the interview slots. If there are 100 students who want a slot with the firm that has 80 slots, then the firm gives slots to the 80 best - or most desirable - students. Further, each school allows its students to bid on a certain number of slots - and asks them to rank the firms in terms of preference. So, while the no. 25 student might look better than a no. 50 student, if the lower ranked student put that firm as their 1st choice and the higher ranked student put the firm as their last choice - a firm could give the slot to a lower ranked student.

So, my question is: do I understand this correctly?

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Re: Question about how OCI works

Post by UnitarySpace » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 pm

It works differently at each school. If 0L: wait till your OCS explains it to you before you start worrying about it. Else: you should ask your OCS.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 pm

You are a bit off. I'm going to explain a hypothetical 50% lottery, 50% preselect system. At higher ranked schools like NYU, Columbia, it is generally 100% lottery, at lower ranked schools and schools outside the First Tear, it is all preselect.

Firms appear on the OCI, they tell the CDO they want to interview 50 students. The CDO wants to give their poor students interviews as well, so they tell the firm, "well, if you want to interview 50 that you pick, you have to take 50 that we give you." Everyone bids on the firms, and the firms "preselect" the 50 students that they want. The school then takes the remaining students who bid on the firm, and were not picked, and uses a forumla based on firm rank, and number of interviews recieved, to place students into the seats. The firms then interview all 100.

As I said, if you go to a higher school, its likely all lottery. Lower, its all pre-select and there may be "bidding" but there is no "ranking."

Finally, with most large law firms, They will usually recieve 150-200 bids, and will grant 30-60 interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 pm

OP here, thanks for the responses.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Can I ask one more thing: if one is at UChi, Columbia, or NYU - what do they have to be ranked to get an interview with a big law firm? I noticed these schools place 50-70% in biglaw jobs, but do almost all get these interviews if they want them (regardless of whether or not they actually get hired)?

But I think I have a good sense. The BIGGEST thing is that you have a great GPA after your first year so you can be competitive for the first OCI. If you get placed in a good internship, and you mind your P's and Q's - you have a good chance of getting a job upon graduation.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for the responses.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Can I ask one more thing: if one is at UChi, Columbia, or NYU - what do they have to be ranked to get an interview with a big law firm? I noticed these schools place 50-70% in biglaw jobs, but do almost all get these interviews if they want them (regardless of whether or not they actually get hired)?

But I think I have a good sense. The BIGGEST thing is that you have a great GPA after your first year so you can be competitive for the first OCI. If you get placed in a good internship, and you mind your P's and Q's - you have a good chance of getting a job upon graduation.
Lulz. It isn't really your first OCI, more like your only OCI. 3L OCI is kind of a joke. For the majority of law students looking for firm work, if you strike out at 2L OCI you are in trouble. This is the main reason why 1L is so stressful. Your 1L GPA is going to be a huge factor in your success at OCI, OCI is going to determine your SA position after your 2L year, and hopefully that position is going to turn into an offer for employment after graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for the responses.

I believe all of CCN have lottery systems. You will get a bunch of screening interviews regardless of your grades, but you are correct that you want to have good grades because it will be hard to get callbacks with poor grades, and there is a whole hierarchy of increasingly grade-selective firms. Also, while you are learning about law school, you should keep in mind that summer jobs with large law firms are called summer associates (SA), not "internships".

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
So this doesn't really need to be anonymous, does it?

But to answer your question, decent grades are necessary but not sufficient to get a job. As another poster mentioned, at one of these schools with a lottery system almost everyone is going to have a similar number of screening interviews, regardless of class rank. At that interview firms are going to generally want to see your transcript, but your performance in the interview will also determine whether you are invited for a callback. At CCN you can still expect to struggle at OCI if your GPA is below median. Having very good grades might get you some forgiveness as far as being an aspie fuck, but probably not too much. Also firms vary greatly as far as selectivity. If you want to have a shot at Wachtell you likely need to be in the top 10% of your class and on law review, but if you want dla piper you can maybe score a callback with below median grades.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 am

Isn't UVA the only T14 with any preselects at all?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Isn't UVA the only T14 with any preselects at all?
It seems to be going swimmingly, too.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Isn't UVA the only T14 with any preselects at all?
It seems to be going swimmingly, too.
lulz

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”