Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
terribleperson wrote:No one on this board has any information outside their own experience, including when and with what frequency offers are given.

Burn!

Yeah yeah. Look I'm not getting into some internet forum pissing match. Walk up to career services and they keep some stats on the average CB:Offer ratios. Also, I'm sure you took a look at the average GPA spreadsheet, which is obviously information outside of your personal experience.

But getting back to the original point that I was responding to, I was saying that CB:offer has more to do with the firm than anything to do with a screening:callback ratio.

+1. As well as firm's location. As well as callback round.
\

What do you mean when you say callback round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
terribleperson wrote:No one on this board has any information outside their own experience, including when and with what frequency offers are given.

Burn!

Yeah yeah. Look I'm not getting into some internet forum pissing match. Walk up to career services and they keep some stats on the average CB:Offer ratios. Also, I'm sure you took a look at the average GPA spreadsheet, which is obviously information outside of your personal experience.

But getting back to the original point that I was responding to, I was saying that CB:offer has more to do with the firm than anything to do with a screening:callback ratio.

+1. As well as firm's location. As well as callback round.
\

What do you mean when you say callback round?

obviously a total cb:offer ratio could be determined, but whats more important for us is what that ratio is at any given moment. (actually none of this is important, really, but we're nuts).
and I can't pay attention to class anymore). as it's been explained to me, firms might not get the proper yield and need to perform add'l callbacks. this changes the ratio, i think.

the

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:16 am

This would make sense. If a firm had a goal for a certain school, for example GULC. They had 5 CB's with that school and they over-reached their quality and all 5 ppl choose better/different firms, they would have to have more CB's to get the number from that school they were looking for. Especially if NYC is back to some degree, other markets may have based their numbers on last year when NYC may not have sucked all the top talent out of the market. Just an idea for our neurosis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am

Anyone heard post CB from Cleary NY or know how long it generally takes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am

If I had a CallBack last Monday and I have yet to hear from the firm, should I presume that the interview did not go well?

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I had a CallBack last Monday and I have yet to hear from the firm, should I presume that the interview did not go well?

Thank you.

I think (and hope) that it depends on the firm. Some firms give offers relatively quickly. Others (especially ones w/ smaller summer programs) tend to take longer because they dole out offers more slowly (and/or they wait a little longer to start making offers). I would say if you've heard of other people getting offers from that firm, it's probably not a great sign. If not, don't give up quite yet. My fingers are crossed for you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 am

Anyone gotten an offer yet from Fried Frank NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I had a CallBack last Monday and I have yet to hear from the firm, should I presume that the interview did not go well?

Thank you.

I think (and hope) that it depends on the firm. Some firms give offers relatively quickly. Others (especially ones w/ smaller summer programs) tend to take longer because they dole out offers more slowly (and/or they wait a little longer to start making offers). I would say if you've heard of other people getting offers from that firm, it's probably not a great sign. If not, don't give up quite yet. My fingers are crossed for you

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

If there are firms I still haven't heard from about screening interviews held on campus and the week after, should I just assume those are no's? Has anyone in a similar position actually emailed a firm and gotten a favorable response?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If there are firms I still haven't heard from about screening interviews held on campus and the week after, should I just assume those are no's? Has anyone in a similar position actually emailed a firm and gotten a favorable response?

I've gotten the whole spectrum. One firm said I was rejected and the letters were going out that day. Another said they were still considering. Another responded with a callback. And a fourth said I am on their wait list for callbacks pending other people canceling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If there are firms I still haven't heard from about screening interviews held on campus and the week after, should I just assume those are no's? Has anyone in a similar position actually emailed a firm and gotten a favorable response?

I've gotten the whole spectrum. One firm said I was rejected and the letters were going out that day. Another said they were still considering. Another responded with a callback. And a fourth said I am on their wait list for callbacks pending other people canceling.

Which firms said what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms said what?

These are firms that you've already completed screening interviews with? How did you word your inquiry in the email? Wouldn't want to disrupt the process or appear in an unfavorable light if the are still in considering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm

has anyone received dings from wiley rein or latham DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

I received a post-on-campus rejection from Latham by letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a post-on-campus rejection from Latham by letter.

Maybe mine is lost in the mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm

dinged from Wachtell....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dinged from Wachtell....

wachtell doesn't even come to G'town, do they? Did you do a CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms said what?

These are firms that you've already completed screening interviews with? How did you word your inquiry in the email? Wouldn't want to disrupt the process or appear in an unfavorable light if the are still in considering.

Yes. Sometimes I had gotten the screening interview outside the normal bid process (break addition or re-bids) so I mentioned that I wanted to check if they needed any more documents or materials in light of the different process. For the others, I just stated I was reiterating my interest and to let me know if there were any additional means by which I could assist my candidacy. In one, I included a current news article discussing a non-firm topic we had talked about in the interview and that was the one that resulted in a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Anyone hear from Wilmer DC post CB? Any idea about their timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Anyone been rejected by Paul Hastings or Latham?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone been rejected by Paul Hastings or Latham?

People have posted in this thread about being dinged by Latham, and a friend of mine told me that he was as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dinged from Wachtell....

LOL! Turns out this probably wasn't a joke. +1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you.

+1 offices with smaller classes seem to be moving at a different pace.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:53 pm

Williams & Connolly ding via snail mail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyone been to a CB for Chadbourne and Parke in DC?

Return to “Legal Employment”