Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Before you open the link, think if you REALLY need to know callback--> offer ratios by size/city (they're on pg. 15).

If the answer to that is yes, click the link, but also recognize that you may have a neurotic disorder.

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/PerspectivesonFallRec09.pdf

This info is meaningless - it's for Fall 2009, the depths of the Great Recession and the legal hiring freeze.

If you look at firm summer associate numbers on NALP, you'll see that pretty much every firm had 1/2 fewer summers in 2010 than they did for summer 2011 and that they will for summer 2012. CB-to-offer ratios were probably highly deflated in Fall 2009 because firms were v conservatively extending offers.

Thus, the ratio will probably be much higher this year.

The chart at the bottom of p.1 is highly instructive.

In 2005-2007, the average callback to offer rate was around 60%; the median number of offers was 15.

In 2009, the median halved (to seven), and the offer rate plummeted to 36%.

Assuming the median number for summer 2012 is somewhere between 2009 and the pre-crash numbers, I think we can reasonably project a 50% offer rate. Probably higher at the top corporate firms in NY where activity is back to pre-crash levels and hiring needs are rising.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:10 am

So did anyone either (1) Interview with A & P and not get invited to the reception; or (2) interview with A & P and get a CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB from Gibson Dunn! Was at dinner.

Which office?

:( where is mine :(

I know for a fact that some DC and LA callbacks have gone out. No idea if they made all the calls on Friday, though. Keep the faith!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:King & Spalding Atlanta rejection by snail mail. GPA above their max on grade history chart. The interview went ok, but don't remember much about it-never a good sign.

Had several of these- I can't be an absolutely terrible interviewer b/c I have gotten other CBs and I thought the interviews went well- I think it genuinely is about "fit."

Is there any way the firms don't extend CBs to people they think aren't likely to accept offers? I'm top 3% and have only really heard CBs from the more selective firms; silence from less-selective. Is it just fit?

This has been my experience as well - my sense is that these firms probably know from experience that people above a certain cutoff almost never end up accepting offers from them and so they may very well focus their energies on people they think are more likely to accept the offer. I have had a few exceptions to the rule (where I had a really good connection with the interviewer and got a callback, despite being outside of their range), but have also gotten dings where it wouldn't otherwise make sense on the face of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:34 am

Any word from Sullivan & Cromwell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:06 am

Any calls from PW at Chadbourne ny? JR at freshfields ny?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any calls from PW at Chadbourne ny? JR at freshfields ny?

We've been putting initials and not names.. I believe to avoid popping up on google alerts for said people and also to avoid putting people's names on the internet that don't want them there. Sorry I didn't interview with either of those, but Chadbourne NY has definitely extended some offers, interviewer MY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Sullivan & Cromwell?

CBs went out last Monday night.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Sullivan & Cromwell?

CBs went out last Monday night.

Including DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Any word from any of these yet?

Schulte (MW)
Bryan Cave (JP)
Pillsbury (MS)
Foley (JT & LS)

I had 7 interviews over OCI with horrible grades and no journal, but decent WE... not really expecting much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Foley did west coast CBs last Friday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Any word from Steptoe or Dickstein (DC)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Anyone heard from Hogan yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Steptoe or Dickstein (DC)?

ding Dickstein DC by email on Friday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Here is what I am thinking happens.

There are three piles after they learn who they are interviewing in the lottery at OCI:

Yes. If interviewer likes them they will get a CB right away and interviewer is told they can offer it without more.
Maybe. These people the interviewer ranks and the firm will then debate said person.
No. Even if interviewer likes them we won't hire them.

So if you are a Yes you get a CB within 24 hours if you are getting one. Maybes have to wait until the hiring group meets again and after a debate that includes the interviewer's notes may get a CB or may not. Nos just get a rejection letter soon afterwards.

This make sense to anyone? If it is accurate there should be several CB offers Monday and Tuesday from earlier in the week firms. I also don't think Dewey has made any CBs yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is what I am thinking happens.

There are three piles after they learn who they are interviewing in the lottery at OCI:

Yes. If interviewer likes them they will get a CB right away and interviewer is told they can offer it without more.
Maybe. These people the interviewer ranks and the firm will then debate said person.

So if you are a Yes you get a CB within 24 hours if you are getting one. Maybes have to wait until the hiring group meets again and after a debate that includes the interviewer's notes may get a CB or may not. Nos just get a rejection letter soon afterwards.

This make sense to anyone? If it is accurate there should be several CB offers Monday and Tuesday from earlier in the week firms. I also don't think Dewey has made any CBs yet.

I think this is mostly true. But I've got two CBs from firms where I really should have been in the No pile due to my grades (.3 below median) and I heard from them both about 36 hours later. So who the hell knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm

I think it makes sense, but unfortunately just because it's one possible way that makes sense doesn't make it the way law firms actually work. I think the truth is a lot less comforting. Here's another possibility that makes just as much sense: hiring committees meet at random times, interviewers who take too long to submit their information postpone callback decisions, recruiting coordinators make a few calls at a time so that they don't have to deal with everyone at once, interviewers who make calls personally get busy and prioritize other things above phone calls to law students . . . etc, etc.

I can't say that your "yes, maybe, no" pile theory is wrong, and if it were true then we could all rest assured that everything is going according to plan, but in reality I don't think law firms are quite that organized with this whole process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:49 pm

This level of neurosis could only happen during fall OCI's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Steptoe or Dickstein (DC)?

ding Dickstein DC by email on Friday

Really? Hm. I thought my interview with them went terribly, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

A friend who was not invited to the dinner for Paul Hastings just got a CB this afternoon for a CA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This level of neurosis could only happen during fall OCI's.

Uh what? This level of neurosis is commonplace for law students every day. Whether it be picking out a Christmas gift, writing an e-mail, or studying for exams-we are just wired this way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Crowell & Moring cb this afternoon

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 pm

:shock: