Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Georgetown 2011 OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 pm

what are these OCI receptions like? do firms invite people who bid them in their top 20 or is it a schoolwide thing similar to the recruiting events earlier in the year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 am

What receptions are floating around, and did the people that got invited bid top 20 or get an interview?

I was invited to Vinson & Elkins DC (Tues 6-7 at some restaurant), bid them top 20 and have interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:21 am

Crowell & Moring is having one as well. The person invited to it bid on them very highly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I got invited to V&E and C&M receptions, did not get interviews with them but they were in my top 20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Invited to one by White & Case. Both top 20 and interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:57 pm

How'd everyone do with the last-minute sign up? I got two, but was disappointed by the selection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Got Wilmer (DC) and Dewey (NY). Clicked those two when I saw them and didn't see any others besides White & Case. What other firms had openings? All were (obv) gone by 12:02.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got Wilmer (DC) and Dewey (NY). Clicked those two when I saw them and didn't see any others besides White & Case. What other firms had openings? All were (obv) gone by 12:02.
Grabbed 2 interviews myself. At exactly 12:00 nearly half the firms had openings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got Wilmer (DC) and Dewey (NY). Clicked those two when I saw them and didn't see any others besides White & Case. What other firms had openings? All were (obv) gone by 12:02.
I got Chadbourne & Parke (NY) and Kirkland & Ellis (SF). Not expecting any to still be available tomorrow at noon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Other than the ones mentioned above, are there any other reception invites floating around? I got one for Drinker Biddle today. Anyone have invites for any others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I got Chadbourne & Parke (NY) and Kirkland & Ellis (SF). Not expecting any to still be available tomorrow at noon.
I think I got on Symplicity exactly at noon and saw openings on all the firms that I hadn't scored an interview with in my top 50, minus a couple.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Well that was a waste. Anyone get anything?

I see that SullCrom (DC) has an grey box, but when I click on it it says no available times.

Also, got an email invitation for Milbank reception- put them in my top 20 and have an interview, fwiw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, today's open sign up sucked..

Also, invited to a Milbank reception on the 17th (interviewing).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am

Got an email yesterday from a firm not in my top 20 with whom I did not get an interview asking if I wanted to interview. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email yesterday from a firm not in my top 20 with whom I did not get an interview asking if I wanted to interview. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Got interviews with a V10 and a V30 based on mailings, as neither was in my top 20. They worked me into their OCI schedules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an email yesterday from a firm not in my top 20 with whom I did not get an interview asking if I wanted to interview. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Got interviews with a V10 and a V30 based on mailings, as neither was in my top 20. They worked me into their OCI schedules.
anon from above

Yeah, I've gotten some from mailings, but this one I did not mail nor was it in my t20. weird.

Also, Shearman & Sterling reception invite fyi.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon from above

Yeah, I've gotten some from mailings, but this one I did not mail nor was it in my t20. weird.

I'm not sure how that would work. The school wouldn't have handed it out and I think the school has a policy of not giving out our GPAs pre-OCI... Did you ever contact the firm or anyone there last year? It would seem they must have had a file or some reason to want to contact you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 am

Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon from above

I'm not sure how that would work. The school wouldn't have handed it out and I think the school has a policy of not giving out our GPAs pre-OCI... Did you ever contact the firm or anyone there last year? It would seem they must have had a file or some reason to want to contact you.
that's what I thought too. But I did not mail them nor did I have any contact with them before getting this email from them. Here's a quote from the email.
We understand that you bid on XXXXX's YYY office for OCI and were placed on our waitlist. We received your resume from the Career Services Office and would like to meet with you during OCI.
Maybe OCS sent our resumes to all the firms?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Got interviews with a V10 and a V30 based on mailings, as neither was in my top 20. They worked me into their OCI schedules.
anon from above

that's what I thought too. But I did not mail them nor did I have any contact with them before getting this email from them. Here's a quote from the email.
We understand that you bid on XXXXX's YYY office for OCI and were placed on our waitlist. We received your resume from the Career Services Office and would like to meet with you during OCI.
Very very doubtful that OCS would send our resumes to all the firms - they say they do top 20.
XXX's YYY office is not the same firm? If so, that is very strange. However, it sounds like you bid on them, but I was unaware EIW had waitlists. Are you IP? Eh, rather than figure it out, just enjoy the basically preselect interview. If really interested call OCS and please post back if you do what you hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 am

It appears that firms deliberately leave some slots open in their schedules which they fill by hand-picking candidates they like.

As for the situation with the previous poster, I would contact OCS to find out how the firm got your resume just out of curiosity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Got an email from Ropes Gray coordinator today extending an interview at their downtown office. Bid on them top-20, but didn't get an interview. I emailed them my materials again explaining that I didn't get an interview via the lottery. Their email specifically said they got my resume from school, so dunno what it means when the firm isn't a t-20 bid like the above poster. It sounded like they had a bunch of additional time available. Wondering what to read into this...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Just found that out I wrote onto a journal as a transfer. What is the best course of action at this point re: firms with which I have interviews, firms than I mass mailed, and firms in the top 20 with which I didn't get an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I got the exact same email from (I'm guessing) the exact same firm. They were not in my top 20 and I have never contacted them before for any reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got the exact same email from (I'm guessing) the exact same firm. They were not in my top 20 and I have never contacted them before for any reason.
V10 in NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
V10 in NYC?
Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett (NYC)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”