NALP guidelines for offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NALP guidelines for offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 am

2L SA here.

I just had my end of summer review. I was told that I would be receiving an offer letter and that it would follow the "NALP guidelines". Does anyone know what those are? How long do you have to accept an offer?

Cavalier

Re: NALP guidelines for offers

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 am

Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate's final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate's final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

What does it mean to reaffirm an offer?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate's final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

Here's what UVA told us:

UVA Law Office of Career Services wrote:The process of "reaffirmation" has not been clearly defined, other than our strong suggestion that your reaffirmation be in writing and that it be conveyed comfortably within the 30-day window. The following is an example of a statement of reaffirmed interest:

Dear _______,

I am grateful for your offer to return to Acme Law Firm as an associate following graduation. My experience this summer was very positive and I am excited about the prospect of returning. I am writing to reaffirm my interest in fulltime employment with the firm pursuant to NALP guidelines. I hope to reach a final decision on this offer soon, and will contact you when I do. [Or, I will contact you with a final decision as soon as I am able to do so, and hopefully well in advance of the November 1 deadline.] I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,
Sam Student

Then you should remain in touch with the recruiter, checking in about once a month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Here's what UVA told us:

UVA Law Office of Career Services wrote:The process of "reaffirmation" has not been clearly defined, other than our strong suggestion that your reaffirmation be in writing and that it be conveyed comfortably within the 30-day window. The following is an example of a statement of reaffirmed interest:

Dear _______,

I am grateful for your offer to return to Acme Law Firm as an associate following graduation. My experience this summer was very positive and I am excited about the prospect of returning. I am writing to reaffirm my interest in fulltime employment with the firm pursuant to NALP guidelines. I hope to reach a final decision on this offer soon, and will contact you when I do. [Or, I will contact you with a final decision as soon as I am able to do so, and hopefully well in advance of the November 1 deadline.] I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,
Sam Student

Then you should remain in touch with the recruiter, checking in about once a month.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”