Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results/Call Backs thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I would love to hear NYC firm-by-firm breakdowns of bidlists and how high up certain firms were needed to be placed in order to secure an interview (in complete "my bids are due in a week" self-interest). And the converse: where certain firms were placed with no interview granted.

I think this is too dependent on individual schools' biases to use NU as a proxy for UChi. See e.g. Weil at Cornell v Weil at NU.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 pm

IAFG wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I would love to hear NYC firm-by-firm breakdowns of bidlists and how high up certain firms were needed to be placed in order to secure an interview (in complete "my bids are due in a week" self-interest). And the converse: where certain firms were placed with no interview granted.

I think this is too dependent on individual schools' biases to use NU as a proxy for UChi. See e.g. Weil at Cornell v Weil at NU.

It seems like Cornell and NU would be much farther apart than UChicago and NU in terms of firm and market preference. I could be wrong, though. And now that I think about it, the number of interview slots might be really off too, so yeah, probably not entirely worth it. Just trying to get some kind of guidance; there are only so many more formulas I can plug into my excel spreadsheet trying to predict where people are going to bid....

I'm sort of at the point of not really giving a shit anymore and just pushing the trigger on what I have now. Trying to figure out where to put the most selective firms is still really bugging me though.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
IAFG wrote:
IAFG wrote:Got 16 including Weil which I bid in the mid 20s lol @ Cornell

for the record i got 1-6, 8-11, 18, 20, 24, 35-37.

I think I was negligent in my research/planning necessary to get those lower bid interviews. It sounds like I had similar success 1-20 as Holly, DF, you, etc. Oh well.

I'm definitely gonna try to hustle some extra interviews to feel a little safer.

Hope you're practicing your oral skills.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
IAFG wrote:

It seems like Cornell and NU would be much farther apart than UChicago and NU in terms of firm and market preference. I could be wrong, though. And now that I think about it, the number of interview slots might be really off too, so yeah, probably not entirely worth it. Just trying to get some kind of guidance; there are only so many more formulas I can plug into my excel spreadsheet trying to predict where people are going to bid....

I'm sort of at the point of not really giving a shit anymore and just pushing the trigger on what I have now. Trying to figure out where to put the most selective firms is still really bugging me though.

I agree with IAFG, especially since bidding involves a lot of group think. People talk and it really effects bids.

But here it goes anyway:

Dinged - White & Case - 9
Milbank - 11
Weil - 12
Paul Weiss- 13
Cadwalader - 14
Wilson Saloni - 15 - mixed with CA offices - super surprised I got this
Fried Frank - 16
Chadborne - 17
Dinged - Kramer Levin -18
dinged- Skadden - 22
DPW -31

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 am

random question: when there is a discrepancy between who the nalp form says is the person to contact for recruiting and who the firm's website says is that person, which should you go with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:22 pm

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I send those firms my resume, or wait and stop by the hospitality suites?

Curious about this as well.

NU 3L here. Pre-ITE, hospitality suites were very helpful. ITE, I know a (few rare) people who managed to finagle a callback out of hospitality suites. Last year, a lot of people tried meeting interviewers during breaks or after last interviews. I don't know if it ever worked out, but it definitely doesn't hurt. One tip - if you do it, don't just drop off your resume and run. Make sure you actually talk to the employer so they remember you enough to give you a callback. Of course, if you are in the top 1% of the class and on law review, just dropping off a resume will probably be good enough.

caleng

Postby caleng » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:28 pm

17 Interviews- I focused on Chicago with a few California firms thrown into the mix in random places.

14 Chicago
3 CA
1-7, 10-14, 16, 17, 29, 36, 45(total afterthought as I was trying to use all 50 of my bids)

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:59 am

traehekat wrote:random question: when there is a discrepancy between who the nalp form says is the person to contact for recruiting and who the firm's website says is that person, which should you go with?

In that case you should call the firm, and go with what they tell you.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:37 pm

I was surprised to not get Cargill at 13. I guess the allure of in house counsel ramped the bids up, despite the fact that so few people bid Minneapolis.

caleng

Postby caleng » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:56 pm

I heard from a few people that the career office was really talking up Minneapolis as a secondary market- even to people who were only truly interested in Chicago. That probably made Minneapolis more competitive in the lottery.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm

caleng wrote:I heard from a few people that the career office was really talking up Minneapolis as a secondary market- even to people who were only truly interested in Chicago. That probably made Minneapolis more competitive in the lottery.

Minneapolis wasn't really competitive at all. Most people who bid on it, I mean any bid, got it. Except for Cargill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:
caleng wrote:I heard from a few people that the career office was really talking up Minneapolis as a secondary market- even to people who were only truly interested in Chicago. That probably made Minneapolis more competitive in the lottery.

Minneapolis wasn't really competitive at all. Most people who bid on it, I mean any bid, got it. Except for Cargill.

I got 3 Mn firms in the mid 40s. I'm not even sure if they filled up.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I got 3 Mn firms in the mid 40s. I'm not even sure if they filled up.

That was what I was hearing. Not a lot of people bid MN. I'm thrilled about that. The in house thing for Cargill has to be what attracted people. It going out would be completely random otherwise.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:The in house thing for Cargill has to be what attracted people. It going out would be completely random otherwise.

Are there a lot of in-house jobs at OCI? It never occurred to me that that was even a thing.

I'm assuming the answer is no, if that particular one was so desirable. In Minneapolis.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Bumi wrote:
bjsesq wrote:The in house thing for Cargill has to be what attracted people. It going out would be completely random otherwise.

Are there a lot of in-house jobs at OCI? It never occurred to me that that was even a thing.

I'm assuming the answer is no, if that particular one was so desirable. In Minneapolis.

Not many, no. Epic, Cargill, and ?????????

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Not many, no. Epic, Cargill, and ?????????

Epic gives you a math test.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Turns out Cargill was a bid+they preselect. I got the notification that they want to interview me today.

Thug life. West side. w00t, woot, you know how we do.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:18 pm

bjsesq wrote:Turns out Cargill was a bid+they preselect. I got the notification that they want to interview me today.

So there are secret preselects? O.o

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Turns out Cargill was a bid+they preselect. I got the notification that they want to interview me today.

Apparently. I had no idea that was how it went.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:24 pm

bjsesq wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Employers get the resumes of everyone who bid. Functionally, it's similar to picking up an interview via a resume drop at a hospitality suite.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Employers get the resumes of everyone who bid. Functionally, it's similar to picking up an interview via a resume drop at a hospitality suite.

So, not really a big deal?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
bk1 wrote:So there are secret preselects? O.o

So, not really a big deal?

Certainly a big deal, because getting an interview from a resume drop means they have a specific interest in you, which is good news. It's just not really "secret preselects." Employers sign up for a certain number of slots, which are assigned via the lottery. They get everyone's resumes and they get resume drops, and if they want to squeeze someone in besides those on the official schedule they're welcome to do so.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:30 pm

rayiner wrote:Certainly a big deal, because getting an interview from a resume drop means they have a specific interest in you, which is good news. It's just not really "secret preselects." Employers sign up for a certain number of slots, which are assigned via the lottery. They get everyone's resumes and they get resume drops, and if they want to squeeze someone in besides those on the official schedule they're welcome to do so.

Well, then

Ameruka, fuck yeah

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Is OCI over yet?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Is OCI over yet?

For us it is over before it began.

Return to “Legal Employment”