Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results/Call Backs thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
D-hops

Silver

Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results/Call Backs thread

Post by D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

Lottery results come out tomorrow. Post number of interviews, where you bid the firms, and any other information that might be useful, for posterity.

EDIT: Now that OCI is started we can anonymously post who is giving callbacks.

[/url]
Last edited by D-hops on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Northwestern 2011 OCI Lottery Results

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:49 am

Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). I'm thinking just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them. Does that sound like it will be in any way more fruitful than just a normal mass mail?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?
Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:Until then, what do you guys plan to do with the firms you don't receive interviews with? I've heard dropping by the hospitality suites and dropping off your resume is a good idea, but not every firm has one (at least from what I can tell). Just email the recruiter with your resume, cover letter, and copy of transcript and explain that you were unable to get an interview with them through lottery but you would still like to interview with them?
Do it because, really, what can it hurt? Will it always work? Probably not, but it is definitely worth a shot.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 pm

traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I hear people at UVA who bid all/mostly NYC in an attempt to take advantage of better hiring got screwed because NYC was grossly overbid. Anyone think something similar will happen at NU? Granted we have more of a home market than UVA, but still, I'm feeling somewhat better I decided against bidding NYC.
I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:46 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I don't think OCS has been giving everyone the "you must bid NYC or die" speech that a lot of other schools have been getting. So I don't know how bad NYC bidding will be at NU.
Well, that, and the large number of people in our class from the west coast.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Yeah I received the opposite advice, that's for sure.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm

traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
I have been hearing quite a bit of this which actually doesn't bode well for people focusing on the Chicago market (telling everyone to bid on one market is a good way to cause the UVA OGI Shitstorm to happen). Seems like OCS might be overestimating the jobs in Chicago, or they know things the rest of us don't.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:03 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
I have been hearing quite a bit of this which actually doesn't bode well for people focusing on the Chicago market (telling everyone to bid on one market is a good way to cause the UVA OGI Shitstorm to happen). Seems like OCS might be overestimating the jobs in Chicago, or they know things the rest of us don't.
I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm

D-hops wrote:
traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:
well, i was told if i actually WANTED to work in NYC it would be a different story, rather than i just want a job and that is where most of them happen to be right now. so yeah, i wasn't given any blanket statement like "dont bid nyc" or anything, it just didnt make sense for me (which i agree with, but i was still worried about bidding all chicago). apparently there are a good 40 or 50 people at NU every year who bid all NYC tho, so hopefully chicago wont be too overbid or anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I was told to bid Chicago, but that's because my resume screams "LITIGATION IN CHICAGO!" My alum mock interviewer actually told me the same thing.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:14 pm

While UVA's pre-select situation is a bit scary, do remember that once you get a pre-select there, you've got a pretty decent chance of getting a callback. At NU everyone will get 15-20 interviews, but your chance of getting a callback out of each one will be lower.

Also, as a preemptive matter, realize what is happening at UVA for pre-selects will happen at NU for callbacks. Firms all call back largely the same pool of 3.6-3.7+ people, who end up with 7-10+ callbacks, while everyone else gets 2-4. It's really a huge drop-off rather than a gradual decline. More often than not, however, people will manage to eke an offer out of those few callbacks, so the end result ends up looking decent.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm

rayiner wrote:While UVA's pre-select situation is a bit scary, do remember that once you get a pre-select there, you've got a pretty decent chance of getting a callback. At NU everyone will get 15-20 interviews, but your chance of getting a callback out of each one will be lower.

Also, as a preemptive matter, realize what is happening at UVA for pre-selects will happen at NU for callbacks. Firms will give most of their callbacks to people with 3.6-3.7+, with the rest of the class getting just a few. It's really a huge drop-off rather than a gradual decline. More often than not, however, people will manage to eke an offer out of those few callbacks, so the end result ends up looking decent.
You should stick around as the resident TLS dad for when people start getting stressed around callback time. 100% serious. We'll likely need your input/reasonableness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 pm

bjsesq wrote:I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?
Are that many people really focusing on CA? Everything I've read on TLS makes that out to be a great way to get pwned if you don't have good grades (though maybe less so for LA).

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

bk187 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I've actually been surprised by the number of people focusing west coast. Admittedly, there are a ton focusing on Chicago, but that is to be expected, right?
Are that many people really focusing on CA? Everything I've read on TLS makes that out to be a great way to get pwned if you don't have good grades (though maybe less so for LA).
There are a solid number of people from my section looking to Cali, yeah. I can't attest to other sections, though.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:
bk187 wrote:
There are a solid number of people from my section looking to Cali, yeah. I can't attest to other sections, though.
There is a good bit from mine as well.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 pm

A huge percentage of our class is from California, I'm not at all surprised a lot of people are bidding there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm

interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm

traehekat wrote:interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.
As much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't. We'll see, I guess.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:interesting to hear a lot of people are from and focusing on CA, wouldn't have expected that. add the fact at least a decent amount of ppl are prolly looking at nyc and maybe a few focusing on dc, maybe chicago will be a little less competitive.
As much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't. We'll see, I guess.
I think I bid a grand total of 2 Chi firms.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:19 pm

traehekat wrote:roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?
I don't remember where I saw the info. Let's conservatively say, 50%. 130-150ish? And to behonest, there are plenty of people not from the midwest who would be comfortable working in Chicago. There's just no real way to predict.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
traehekat wrote:roughly how many NU students are actually from chicago/midwest anyway?
I don't remember where I saw the info. Let's conservatively say, 50%. 130-150ish? And to behonest, there are plenty of people not from the midwest who would be comfortable working in Chicago. There's just no real way to predict.
ya ya im sure. like you said, we'll have to see what happens.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
ya ya im sure. like you said, we'll have to see what happens.
Actually it is more like a quarter of the class. Both the northeast and the west are higher percentages than the midwest.

Chart is from the admissions website.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

D-hops wrote:Actually it is more like a quarter of the class. Both the northeast and the west are higher percentages than the midwest.
Lokks like I was FAR too conservative.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”