Include only Class Rank on Resume, Leave off GPA- OK?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Include only Class Rank on Resume, Leave off GPA- OK?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:01 am

I just squeaked into the top third in my class, so I was wondering if I could include class rank only, and leave off my GPA for OCI apps. Is this kosher?

Anonymous User

Re: Include only Class Rank on Resume, Leave off GPA- OK?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just squeaked into the top third in my class, so I was wondering if I could include class rank only, and leave off my GPA for OCI apps. Is this kosher?

I was thinking about doing the same thing (since I juuuust broke into the top 10% of my class). But I don't think thats the best idea. Leaving the GPA off, when all your classmates put it on, will draw even more attention to it.

But like you, I wanted to draw attention to the rank, rather than the objective GPA figure. So what I did was something like this:

Rank/GPA: Top 10%/ 3.xx

This way, the first thing they see is the ranking, and their opinion is colored by the ranking figure before they even look at the GPA figure (if they even glance over at the GPA). My section had a very odd curve so my objective GPA is quite a bit lower than other people who are also top 10% from other sections. So employers were surprised that my GPA was actually top 10%. Thats why I want to color their opinion by having the rank first. That takes attention away from the GPA figure, without leaving it off entirely. Plus, this format saves you a line on your resume since you aren't putting GPA and rank on separate lines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:14 am

Good advice, think Ill follow that as well. Thanks

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just squeaked into the top third in my class, so I was wondering if I could include class rank only, and leave off my GPA for OCI apps. Is this kosher?

I was thinking about doing the same thing (since I juuuust broke into the top 10% of my class). But I don't think thats the best idea. Leaving the GPA off, when all your classmates put it on, will draw even more attention to it.

But like you, I wanted to draw attention to the rank, rather than the objective GPA figure. So what I did was something like this:

Rank/GPA: Top 10%/ 3.xx

This way, the first thing they see is the ranking, and their opinion is colored by the ranking figure before they even look at the GPA figure (if they even glance over at the GPA). My section had a very odd curve so my objective GPA is quite a bit lower than other people who are also top 10% from other sections. So employers were surprised that my GPA was actually top 10%. Thats why I want to color their opinion by having the rank first. That takes attention away from the GPA figure, without leaving it off entirely. Plus, this format saves you a line on your resume since you aren't putting GPA and rank on separate lines.

Top 10% in your section doesn't equal top 10% in your class, especially if your GPA is "quite a bit lower" than top 10% in other sections. Make sure you are damn sure about this ranking before putting it on your resume.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm

if class rank or gpa are not requested, dont include them. i think its fine to include class rank but not gpa, as the gpa's significance varies by school.

Return to “Legal Employment”