Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boaltrising3l
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby boaltrising3l » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 am

Our school's job website has a listing for a paralegal job in Indy Midlaw. Is such the state of the economy or a mistake of a ditzy recruiter? Anyone else have this listing? I know things are not optimal, but an Indy Midlaw firm really thinks they can recruit T10 law school students?

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby katisse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 am

its a paralegal job, not a janitor job. Get a reality check.

User avatar
El_Gallo
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby El_Gallo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:29 am

katisse wrote:its a paralegal job, not a janitor job. Get a reality check.


You are coming on a bit too strong

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby katisse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:45 am

El_Gallo wrote:
katisse wrote:its a paralegal job, not a janitor job. Get a reality check.


You are coming on a bit too strong


I mean, I don't get the dude's problem. Boalt isn't Harvard. Its just another law school, like the twenty other good non-Harvard/Yale law schools that are pretty good. Sure its in some top 14 category or whatever bogus construct applied 8 years ago, but have you people been living under a rock?

If you graduate from law school and have a 40k per year gig, be grateful IN THIS ENVIRONMENT because there's a shit ton of undergraduates, albeit with less debt, who are working at Starbucks. Then think of all the underclass people who are "vet techs" or "nurse techs" or whatever the hell they advertise on trains. You've been to the DMV. You know who I'm talking about. You think they're making 40k a year? Do you realize how many people have been jobless for nearly FOUR YEARS now? Do you know that there's 5 million people living on foodstamps? That's their whole income - foodstamps - that's about 5.5k a year.

Getting a paralegal job is ten times better than having no job.

What I don't get about you is how you're okay with feeling shitty about life relative to how badass things were a decade ago - yet you're not able to do the same kind of "relational" dance with respect to people who don't have access to 40k/yr jobs.

At least you can pay your debts off in 15-20 years or whatever, and have a law degree which has more earning power over a lifetime than some Bachelors degree in Bobo dancing.

You can't live in the past. The notion of attending "law school" to get a cushy job is ancient. There is no safety net other than a trust fund. Or, of course, being top 10% at Harvard or Yale.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby buckilaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 am

katisse wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:
katisse wrote:its a paralegal job, not a janitor job. Get a reality check.


You are coming on a bit too strong


I mean, I don't get the dude's problem. Boalt isn't Harvard. Its just another law school, like the twenty other good non-Harvard/Yale law schools that are pretty good. Sure its in some top 14 category or whatever bogus construct applied 8 years ago, but have you people been living under a rock?

If you graduate from law school and have a 40k per year gig, be grateful IN THIS ENVIRONMENT because there's a shit ton of undergraduates, albeit with less debt, who are working at Starbucks. Then think of all the underclass people who are "vet techs" or "nurse techs" or whatever the hell they advertise on trains. You've been to the DMV. You know who I'm talking about. You think they're making 40k a year? Do you realize how many people have been jobless for nearly FOUR YEARS now? Getting a paralegal job is ten times better than having no job.

What I don't get about you is how you're okay with feeling shitty about life relative to how badass things were a decade ago - yet you're not able to do the same kind of "relational" dance with respect to people who don't have access to 40k/yr jobs.

At least you can pay your debts off in 15-20 years or whatever, and have a law degree which has more earning power over a lifetime than some Bachelors degree in Bobo dancing.

You can't live in the past. The notion of attending "law school" to get a cushy job is ancient. There is no safety net other than a trust fund. Or, of course, being top 10% at Harvard or Yale.


If you honestly think a T14 grad should be thankful to land a paralegal job I really don't know what to say.

If it takes you 15-20 years to pay off your debt you may as well have gotten a Bachelors degree in "Bobo dancing".

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby katisse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 am

buckilaw wrote:If you honestly think a T14 grad should be thankful to land a paralegal job I really don't know what to say.


"T14" is the condo in Vegas you bought for $400k in 2004. You should be grateful if you can sell it for $220k today, as opposed to last year's market price of $80k.

"T14" is the S&P at 1500 few years ago. You should be f'ing grateful you can sell it at 1300 today. As opposed to 666 on March 1, 2009.

Get it?

The only thing that's "same" about law is that there will always be the elite haves - there'll just be a teeny weeny few of them. And people will still enter the profession in droves because they don't understand mathematics and everyone thinks they're more special than they are.

I don't see the sense in law school unless you're on a full scholarship in a top program (and I'm referring to something like the top 25 schools traditionally, not some bullshit t14).

I kinda see the sense in taking out a $50k-100k loan for a place like Harvard. But other than that, law school is as smart of a decision as that Vegas condo.
Last edited by katisse on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Heartford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 am

Bottom quarter of the class @ boalt should probably check themselves before deciding their shit smells too good for a paralegal job...

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby katisse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 am

Heartford wrote:Bottom quarter of the class @ boalt should probably check themselves before deciding their shit smells too good for a paralegal job...


Make that bottom 75%. Nothing against Boalt. Good school. Its just there's way too many f'ing lawyers and law schools, and wayyyy too little legal work to be done in this country.

You should learn Chinese law. That might be a smart decision.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:02 am

katisse wrote:You can't live in the past. The notion of attending "law school" to get a cushy job is ancient. There is no safety net other than a trust fund. Or, of course, being top 10% at Harvard or Yale.

I have no dog in this fight. I don't really care about Boalt or Katisse's trolling, I just wanted to interject and say that if I was top 10% at Yale F*cking Law (or top of the class however those grade hating socialist hippies define that), I would not only expect to be given an outrageous starting salary but I would also expect a band to play All Hail The Chief every time I walked into a room and for my graduation present to be Blake Lively.

I think that's only fair.

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby katisse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 am

fathergoose wrote:
katisse wrote:You can't live in the past. The notion of attending "law school" to get a cushy job is ancient. There is no safety net other than a trust fund. Or, of course, being top 10% at Harvard or Yale.

I have no dog in this fight. I don't really care about Boalt or Katisse's trolling, I just wanted to interject and say that if I was top 10% at Yale F*cking Law (or top of the class however those grade hating socialist hippies define that), I would not only expect to be given an outrageous starting salary but I would also expect a band to play All Hail The Chief every time I walked into a room and for my graduation present to be Blake Lively.

I think that's only fair.


Listen to yourself. You sound like Henry Blodget being hailed in the hallways of Merrill during that Amazon call of his right before the bubble popped. All before the cards fell down.

May lord have mercy given what you worship. You're in this "elite law = worship me" mentality AFTER this bubble's long popped. What gives?

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby buckilaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 am

katisse wrote:and I'm referring to something like the top 25 schools traditionally, not some bullshit t14).

I kinda see the sense in taking out a $50k-100k loan for a place like Harvard. But other than that, law school is as smart of a decision as that Vegas condo.


You imply T14 is arbitrary and you refer to an even more arbitrary group. T14 is referred to as a group because they have been recognized as the best schools for some time. Can you honestly argue that Indiana, Illinois and WUSTL are "top" schools?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 am

I didn't think firms hired people with JDs as paralegals...

Also, Katisse... You're seriously being way over the top here. Yeah, this economy isn't very good. But to think that only people going to Y and H are in decent position; and then only the top students there... C'mon.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am

boaltrising3l wrote:Our school's job website has a listing for a paralegal job in Indy Midlaw. Is such the state of the economy or a mistake of a ditzy recruiter? Anyone else have this listing? I know things are not optimal, but an Indy Midlaw firm really thinks they can recruit T10 law school students?


I see you're back to shit on your school some more

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 am

katisse wrote:Listen to yourself. You sound like Henry Blodget being hailed in the hallways of Merrill during that Amazon call of his right before the bubble popped. All before the cards fell down.

May lord have mercy given what you worship. You're in this "elite law = worship me" mentality AFTER this bubble's long popped. What gives?

Lol. You make me laugh. I really enjoyed that.

1. If I was smarter than 9 of my 10 classmates at the most prestigious law school in the world, then yes I would expect you to get down on your knees and worship me.

2. The bubble hasn't popped yet (it won't until Boehner and Reid cut subsidized grad loans in a couple days)

3. The famous Blodget Amazon incident was years before the bubble burst not right before it and he was dead on in what he predicted in the call. And if my fate is to be a brilliant salesman who people believe has a direct line to the finance gods, so be it.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 am

This thread is not delivering, but I see lots of potential.

Edit: We had this posting too FWIW.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
boaltrising3l wrote:Our school's job website has a listing for a paralegal job in Indy Midlaw. Is such the state of the economy or a mistake of a ditzy recruiter? Anyone else have this listing? I know things are not optimal, but an Indy Midlaw firm really thinks they can recruit T10 law school students?


I see you're back to shit on your school some more


Yes. We've been through this with this guy before. So much darn Boalt hating/trolling on TLS.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:31 am

Employers decide if they want to post a job to the system, not the school or the students.

Also, the employment numbers on this thread are bullshit.

If you have no actual data, shut the fuck up. Thanks :P

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 am

bilbobaggins wrote:If you have no actual data, shut the fuck up. Thanks :P


^Should apply to many things in life.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:33 am

katisse wrote:
Heartford wrote:Bottom quarter of the class @ boalt should probably check themselves before deciding their shit smells too good for a paralegal job...


Make that bottom 75%.


Make that bottom 90%

8)

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 am

Helmholtz wrote:
katisse wrote:
Heartford wrote:Bottom quarter of the class @ boalt should probably check themselves before deciding their shit smells too good for a paralegal job...


Make that bottom 75%.


Make that bottom 90% top 10%

8)

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
katisse wrote:
Heartford wrote:Bottom quarter of the class @ boalt should probably check themselves before deciding their shit smells too good for a paralegal job...


Make that bottom 75%.


Make that bottom 90% top 10%

8)


There's always such a feeding frenzy when these lets trash Boalt threads come up. Birdlaw, I will have to make sure I jump on-board the next time someone starts up an NYU shouldn't be a T6 thread (although I don't personally believe that to be true).

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:13 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:There's always such a feeding frenzy when these lets trash Boalt threads come up. Birdlaw, I will have to make sure I jump on-board the next time someone starts up an NYU shouldn't be a T6 thread (although I don't personally believe that to be true).

??????

Sarcasm?

I thought that was clear from the beginning. Boalt's obviously a great school. OP is clearly either a bad interviewer or doesn't know how to prioritize bidding and such for OCI.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 am

Employers decide if they want to post a job to the system, not the school or the students.


This.

Now please stop trashing Boalt. As much as you would like to believe otherwise, it is not the school's fault that you struck out despite being top 25%. If you don't believe me, allow me to introduce you to several below-median members of your class that are working at V20 firms.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby shoeshine » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:29 am

The real question here is if you and your profile are a flame or just a product of ITE. My guess is a little bit of both but mostly the former.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Boalt Listing For Paralegal Job... Flame or ITE?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:There's always such a feeding frenzy when these lets trash Boalt threads come up. Birdlaw, I will have to make sure I jump on-board the next time someone starts up an NYU shouldn't be a T6 thread (although I don't personally believe that to be true).

??????

Sarcasm?

I thought that was clear from the beginning. Boalt's obviously a great school. OP is clearly either a bad interviewer or doesn't know how to prioritize bidding and such for OCI.


My bad. Was unclear (to me at least). :oops:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.