Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mavraides87
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Mavraides87 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 pm

ok well hope your finances are good enough to be able to afford all that but I'm sure you could get a sugar mom to sponsor med school for you

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:00 am

Mavraides87 wrote:ok well hope your finances are good enough to be able to afford all that but I'm sure you could get a sugar mom to sponsor med school for you

This would be a welcome development.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Anyone heard from Heyl Royster?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 pm

You know, as bad as it is for all of us, I can honestly see why firms have cut back on the number of people they bring in for their summers. It's an expense that frankly they have realized they can live without.

What I don't understand is why firms are still bringing in 4 people for every 1 spot, and why firms are dinging people post CB for things that are written on their resume/cover letter/covered in their screener.

The number of people who have gotten a callback only to be told after "you don't have real ties to our city" or "you don't have the right background" or "we're really only looking for people in this practice area" is staggering.

I get the notion that you like someone from a screener, and even if they might not be perfect, you think they might be able to make up the difference so you give them a shot. But if you are dead set on only hiring people from your metro area, or who have a Ph.D. in X, or who want to do Labor and Employment, then THAT is what you should be doing. If you're an LA firm that will only hire people with LA connections then do that. I think it's a silly business model, but it IS your model. Embrace it. Don't tell students and/or schools that you're doing something different. You simply waste everyone's time, money, and patience.

/rant

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby fl0w » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm

problem is that they have all the power. so they will do whatever they want and we will pretend to like it, then post on message boards about how we actually don't like it.

such is the paradigm within which we operate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:25 am

Happy Flight!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Illinois - Anyone hear from Berger Schatz or Hodges, Loizzi?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Hepler rejection the otherday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Dinsmore?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinsmore?


Still nothing. CB Sep. 28th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinsmore?


Still nothing. CB Sep. 28th.


Did you get the letter in the mail about them needing additional time?

And I was told that the Recruiting Committee was meeting on Friday, but it didn't sound like that was the last time that they would be meeting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinsmore?


Still nothing. CB Sep. 28th.


Did you get the letter in the mail about them needing additional time?

And I was told that the Recruiting Committee was meeting on Friday, but it didn't sound like that was the last time that they would be meeting.


Nope, no letter. I was told it would be up to a month at the CB tough.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

anyone hear anything from Sandberg Phoenix?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear anything from Sandberg Phoenix?



I had forgotten that I mass-mailed them but they sent me a letter a few weeks ago saying they filled their class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:10 pm

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear anything from Sandberg Phoenix?



I had forgotten that I mass-mailed them but they sent me a letter a few weeks ago saying they filled their class.



REALLY! Did you hear that news this month? I had a CB with then a little over a month ago and was told they wouldnt start making decisions until early/mid October? However, I've heard nothing sense....pretty disappointing to say the least!

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear anything from Sandberg Phoenix?



I had forgotten that I mass-mailed them but they sent me a letter a few weeks ago saying they filled their class.



REALLY! Did you hear that news this month? I had a CB with then a little over a month ago and was told they wouldnt start making decisions until early/mid October? However, I've heard nothing sense....pretty disappointing to say the least!



I think so. If it was, it was early Oct. It was a pretty bland, form letter, though, so it's possible that it's a generic that doesn't actually reflect their current state of hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 am

Snail mail ding from Berger Schatz a few days ago

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from Thompson Coburn?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby drdolittle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:30 pm

flcath wrote:
Mavraides87 wrote:flcath, are you contemplating med school?

not flaming, wouldn't you be old for such an endeavor?

Bro, that question has been raised in my mind (and answered differently each time) constantly over the past year and half.

I had pretty much settled on staying in law if I got BL, doing a post-bacc to apply to MS if not.

This could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Med schools will not care whether or not you finished law school. Arguably, in fact, you'd be able to make a better pitch to them if you didn't finish law school because dropping out of a top tier LS w/ good grades to re-focus on medicine would obviously be a pretty compelling demo of your real interest in medicine.

So if you're seriously thinking about transitioning to medicine at this sage, don't let the idea that you need to finish law school first derail your consideration. If you've basically made the decision to attend med school already (though it sounds like you haven't yet) your best course of action would be to drop out of law school now and start your med school application prep w/ some serious volunteering at a clinic, maybe do some basic research in a lab as an RA, pick up any needed coursework, study for and take/retake the MCAT, etc. Even if you've done all this before, you'll need to do some of it again. After 2-3 years of this you should be in good shape. Certainly better than sticking it out in LS and spending your life/$ working toward a career you know you'll leave.

bananasinpajamas
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby bananasinpajamas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Just got CB today from a Chicago Biglaw firm - UIUC, LR, Top 1/3

illini22
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby illini22 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Congratz man, I heard of a few people getting CBs this week at U of I from Firms & In-house positions. Also, I am glad that career services is still getting mid-size firms for OCI stuff. It is not a lot, but each of those count.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Wart wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Wart wrote:I know this has nothing to do with OCI, but I thought I'd inject a little hope for the depressed people on here. I know a 3L at UIUC who received job offers at 2 V5's and 1 V10 over the past month. All in NY. Not bad, especially considering that he didn't get any firm offers as SA.

Any explanation for how he did this? 3L OCI is generally fruitless for those without SAs as a 2L.

Networked like crazy his 2L summer. None of them were OCI. Finished top 20%ish after 1L year. After 2L year he was around top 7% and is an editor on LR. One thing that did seem to be a strategy was that he flew out to NYC for screener interviews on his own dime. Through networking, he was able to get his resume in the right spots and set up some interviews. When they called to set up an interview time in Chicago when they were going to do their mass interviews, he said "I'll actually be in NYC soon, I can interview then" or something like that and that's what he did. I think this gave him a good leg up.


This is not knew, last year there were a few 3Ls that ended up with V10 NYC firms (including my friend who got S&C) even though they did not get 2L SAs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Offer from mailing - WUSTL, Median, IP from T15 engineering school, WE. NLJ250 firm, LA office. Strong ties to LA.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby stratocophic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from mailing - WUSTL, Median, IP from T15 engineering school, WE. NLJ250 firm, LA office. Strong ties to LA.
Ballin'. Congrats

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby flcath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 pm

drdolittle wrote:
flcath wrote:
Mavraides87 wrote:flcath, are you contemplating med school?

not flaming, wouldn't you be old for such an endeavor?

Bro, that question has been raised in my mind (and answered differently each time) constantly over the past year and half.

I had pretty much settled on staying in law if I got BL, doing a post-bacc to apply to MS if not.

This could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Med schools will not care whether or not you finished law school. Arguably, in fact, you'd be able to make a better pitch to them if you didn't finish law school because dropping out of a top tier LS w/ good grades to re-focus on medicine would obviously be a pretty compelling demo of your real interest in medicine.

So if you're seriously thinking about transitioning to medicine at this sage, don't let the idea that you need to finish law school first derail your consideration. If you've basically made the decision to attend med school already (though it sounds like you haven't yet) your best course of action would be to drop out of law school now and start your med school application prep w/ some serious volunteering at a clinic, maybe do some basic research in a lab as an RA, pick up any needed coursework, study for and take/retake the MCAT, etc. Even if you've done all this before, you'll need to do some of it again. After 2-3 years of this you should be in good shape. Certainly better than sticking it out in LS and spending your life/$ working toward a career you know you'll leave.

(a) This plan takes guts I don't have.
(b) I'm not 100% convinced it's the right course of action. The pre-med advisor at ND (and ND is really good at putting their UGs into med school) told me she thinks it makes me an 'interesting' applicant. I keep forgetting how impressed non-law people are with a Notre Dame JD. (BAM: lay prestige is worth something.)
(c) This will create a presumption that I failed out, or at least sucked at law school, which is not the case at all.

I'm gonna try to take science classes (I'm allowed one non-law course per term) my last three semesters of law school, do some of the pre-med application-building shit, and put together a limited (2-3 schools) application during my 3L year... it'd be sick if I could get in w/o doing a post-bacc, as it'd save me 2+ years and prolly $50K.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.