Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think that's true at all, is it? I thought that Notre Dame had a quite healthy advantage in placement over WUSTL?

No.

I don't want to drag this on forever, but one of the things WUSTL is pretty good at is placing people into secondary market "biglaw" types of firms, and that is what a lot of the students who came to WUSTL intended to do upon enrolling, including myself. You seem to knock these secondary markets and suggest that students have to "settle" for these jobs, when in reality, a huge percentage of my class was actually gunning for these (and not Vault firms) to begin with.

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:39 am

Last edited by Wart on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 am

Wart wrote:I know this has nothing to do with OCI, but I thought I'd inject a little hope for the depressed people on here. I know a 3L at UIUC who received job offers at 2 V5's and 1 V10 over the past month. All in NY. Not bad, especially considering that he didn't get any firm offers as SA.

Any explanation for how he did this? 3L OCI is generally fruitless for those without SAs as a 2L.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 am

wait...ND is placing 15-20% in V10? I call bullshit.

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 am

romothesavior wrote:
Wart wrote:I know this has nothing to do with OCI, but I thought I'd inject a little hope for the depressed people on here. I know a 3L at UIUC who received job offers at 2 V5's and 1 V10 over the past month. All in NY. Not bad, especially considering that he didn't get any firm offers as SA.

Any explanation for how he did this? 3L OCI is generally fruitless for those without SAs as a 2L.

Networked like crazy his 2L summer. None of them were OCI. Finished top 20%ish after 1L year. After 2L year he was around top 7% and is an editor on LR. One thing that did seem to be a strategy was that he flew out to NYC for screener interviews on his own dime. Through networking, he was able to get his resume in the right spots and set up some interviews. When they called to set up an interview time in Chicago when they were going to do their mass interviews, he said "I'll actually be in NYC soon, I can interview then" or something like that and that's what he did. I think this gave him a good leg up.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 am

Officially struck out. 0/7 on callbacks. Have a non-firm job lined up which I'll be accepting shortly. Time to gear up for the clerkship application process.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Officially struck out. 0/7 on callbacks. Have a non-firm job lined up which I'll be accepting shortly. Time to gear up for the clerkship application process.

Very sorry to hear it. Any other firms you can throw a last ditch apparently to? I know of a few people getting interviews in the last few days. One girl I know got a solid SA job from an interview just last week.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think that's true at all, is it? I thought that Notre Dame had a quite healthy advantage in placement over WUSTL?

No.

I don't want to drag this on forever, but one of the things WUSTL is pretty good at is placing people into secondary market "biglaw" types of firms, and that is what a lot of the students who came to WUSTL intended to do upon enrolling, including myself. You seem to knock these secondary markets and suggest that students have to "settle" for these jobs, when in reality, a huge percentage of my class was actually gunning for these (and not Vault firms) to begin with.

NLJ 250 2011 Placement

Notre Dame Placement=23.84

WUSTL= 18.96

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 am

romothesavior wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Officially struck out. 0/7 on callbacks. Have a non-firm job lined up which I'll be accepting shortly. Time to gear up for the clerkship application process.

Very sorry to hear it. Any other firms you can throw a last ditch apparently to? I know of a few people getting interviews in the last few days. One girl I know got a solid SA job from an interview just last week.

Nope. It's all over. The funny thing is I thought all of my callbacks went really well, I was sure I would get one. Nothing really in common about the firms. 4 V100, 1 V100 satellite in a small market where I have ties, 1 NLJ 250 in a market I worked in last summer, and 1 lit boutique in a large, non-NY city.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Nope. It's all over. The funny thing is I thought all of my callbacks went really well, I was sure I would get one. Nothing really in common about the firms. 4 V100, 1 V100 satellite in a small market where I have ties, 1 NLJ 250 in a market I worked in last summer, and 1 lit boutique in a large, non-NY city.

Very sorry to hear it. OCI is a fickle mistress, and it often makes no sense at all. How do you like the job you'll be taking?

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Nope. It's all over. The funny thing is I thought all of my callbacks went really well, I was sure I would get one. Nothing really in common about the firms. 4 V100, 1 V100 satellite in a small market where I have ties, 1 NLJ 250 in a market I worked in last summer, and 1 lit boutique in a large, non-NY city.

Best of luck to you. If it's any consolation, that guy I mentioned above also struck out at OCI and ended up working w/o pay at a gov't agency his 2L summer but ended up with great firm job offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:00 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

What kind of stats did you have at ND?

I am currently 0/3 right now on callbacks as a 3L at wustl. It has been over a month with two of my callbacks and I just had a third callback last week. All regional biglaw that I had to WUSTLE (get it... hustle) and network on my own. top 20%.
Funny thing is, most people at the callback didn't know a lot about the school. The people there either treated it like a TTT or they treated it like Umich law.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

What kind of stats did you have at ND?

I am currently 0/3 right now on callbacks as a 3L at wustl. It has been over a month with two of my callbacks and I just had a third callback last week. All regional biglaw that I had to WUSTLE (get it... hustle) and network on my own. top 20%.
Funny thing is, most people at the callback didn't know a lot about the school. The people there either treated it like a TTT or they treated it like Umich law.

I think people here know who I am already so, probably just outside the top 10% and LR. I have a decent unpaid job lined up for the summer in the area I want to be in so hopefully I can network and get a couple of 3L interviews as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 am

If you keep your grades up I'm pretty sure that you can get a full time position. Keep networking during the semester. Have you thought about trying to mass mail a little more? It is still kinda early to give up.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am

I have to accept this position by Friday, and it is a lot better than what I could end up with if I turn it down. I also have a second-semester internship lined up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

ndirish2010 wrote:I have to accept this position by Friday, and it is a lot better than what I could end up with if I turn it down. I also have a second-semester internship lined up.

unpaid gigs definitely open doors man. go in with the attitude to learn as much as you can and get as many good experiences and examples of substantive work as possible. When you talk about it in interviews down the line people will love it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Sorry to hear it man. It's an awful, uncertain process. Best of luck going forward

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Any more info on movement in Indy firms? Someone had BT offer while back but that seems to be it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more info on movement in Indy firms? Someone had BT offer while back but that seems to be it.

Ice and Taft have both made offers.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Sorry bro. I truly believe this happens all the time, at least outside the T14, contrary to what prevailing wisdom on this forum dictates. Midwest/SE firms have some megafuckingridiculous callback ratios and a lot of inside baseball seems to go on at these (at least from personal experience). I went a whopping 3 for 14 on CBs and consider myself above average as an interviewer and on people skills.

So, so, so SO much seems to hinge on being a native of a significant legal market. Some poor bastard from, say, North Dakota who doesn't want to return there (imagine that!) and instead targets traditional midwest markets from a WUSTL/ND/IUB/etc. has a wicked uphill climb ahead of him.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:55 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Sorry bro. I truly believe this happens all the time, at least outside the T14, contrary to what prevailing wisdom on this forum dictates.

Huh?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Sorry bro. I truly believe this happens all the time, at least outside the T14, contrary to what prevailing wisdom on this forum dictates.

Huh?

Yeah, I worded that pretty shittily.

Common TLS wisdom = going 0 for 7 on CBs means you're socially incompetent and almost never occurs outside of mouthbreathers

anecdotal evidence at my T1 = it happens to about a third of law review, including well-spoken people with work experience

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I have to accept this position by Friday, and it is a lot better than what I could end up with if I turn it down. I also have a second-semester internship lined up.

Sorry to hear about all this bro, especially after all the shit ppl (including me) were giving you for your pessimism earlier this semester.

I'm approaching the exact same boat, minus the non-firm offer, but plus one remaining CB.

I'll ride out law school regardless, but I'm on the fence about whether to just take science classes this summer (I'll sure as hell be using my 3 available non-law courses to raise up the old science GPA). I'll put more thought into it once my strikeout is official.

Mavraides87

Postby Mavraides87 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm

flcath, are you contemplating med school?

not flaming, wouldn't you be old for such an endeavor?

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Mavraides87 wrote:flcath, are you contemplating med school?

not flaming, wouldn't you be old for such an endeavor?

Bro, that question has been raised in my mind (and answered differently each time) constantly over the past year and half.

I had pretty much settled on staying in law if I got BL, doing a post-bacc to apply to MS if not.

This could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Return to “Legal Employment”