Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blurbz

Silver

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by blurbz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lolz. I wont get into which school is better for Chicago mkt argument, but I personally know of at least 20 people at UIUC with SA in Chicago. A few from vault 10, but the vast majority from Vault 15-50. I have heard a lot of people with offers at other markets too, including nyc. It might be the same people with multiple offers, but it seems that this year was definitively better than the previous one.
Yeah, everyone I know at Illinois (except one person) who has a biglaw SA is going Chicago.

Edit: Scratch that, just thought of a second person who accepted an offer outside of Chicago. I know a few people with NYC offers, too, but they've all accepted at Chicago firms.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:55 am

blurbz wrote:
Yeah, everyone I know at Illinois (except one person) who has a biglaw SA is going Chicago.

Edit: Scratch that, just thought of a second person who accepted an offer outside of Chicago. I know a few people with NYC offers, too, but they've all accepted at Chicago firms.
That's a very interesting difference, and certainly worth noting for prospective students. Almost everyone I know with a truly "biglaw " job (Vault firm) is going to NYC. We also have a few going to Florida, Texas, and a big chunk of course to secondary cities around the Midwest. So while the NLJ placement numbers and even geographic placement overall of the two schools are similar, the geographic pldifferentf people into NLJ jobs appears o be very different. Of course, we are dealing with a limited sample size.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:09 am

romothesavior wrote:That's a very interesting difference, and certainly worth noting for prospective students. Almost everyone I know with a truly "biglaw " job (Vault firm) is going to NYC. We also have a few going to Florida, Texas, and a big chunk of course to secondary cities around the Midwest. So while the NLJ placement numbers and even geographic placement overall of the two schools are similar, the geographic pldifferentf people into NLJ jobs appears o be very different. Of course, we are dealing with a limited sample size.
also go to wustl. i know a handful of people with chicago offers (a couple have others too so idk where they'll go). i also know several with vault offers outside of nyc. be careful with anecdotal info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 am

Anecdotal counterpoint:

WUSTL 15%/LR. 5 offers; 2 in Chicago (1 NLJ 250); accepted a V30 in California.

When the sample size is "a handful," one or two extra data points move the needle from "nobody" to "a statistically significant minority." Factor in the natural variance of geographic ties and preferences between classes and schools, and it's impossible to draw meaningful generalizations.

Chicago is just rough in general. If good numbers were available, it would be interesting to see the ratio of NLJ 250 offers to total available NLJ 250 SA spots for each of Chicago and NYC. I'd bet Chicago's yield is still significantly larger than NYC's at WUSTL. Just a guess, though.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 am

I admitted I was dealing with a small sample size, but its really not even that small. 30 people is probably roughly half of the people with SA offers, and of those, we were able to list exactly one in Chicago. I know so many people with and without offers who targeted Chicago like it was going out of style and wound up with a goose egg there. It doesn't even seem to be self-selection. Im a lifelong Illinoisan and snagged one screener and 0 CBs in Chicago despite applying to every NLJ 250 firm in the city. Many people are getting multiple CBs/offers in other cities and getting shut out in Chi town even with ties. Our school's geographic diversity does not account for the lack of Chicago placement.

So yeah, I'm sure there are a handful of people with Chicago SAs. Maybe even more than NYC (although I doubt it, and I agree it would be interesting to see the yield). Doesn't change my point one bit. Our Chicago prospects are poor considering it is our supposed top market, and it is interesting to note the apparent difference in geographic placement between our school and Illinois.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

Strong ties to Chicago, Born and Raised, UG in Illinois, applied to nearly ever mid and large firm in the City and government agency, completely shut out. I want Chicago so bad I’m thinking of perusing a decent non legal job via a family contact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am

Anyone ITT with an offer at Taft Stettinius & Hollister?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:33 am

Know someone with offer from Taft.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 am

Any offers from Thompson Coburn?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal counterpoint:

When the sample size is "a handful," one or two extra data points move the needle from "nobody" to "a statistically significant minority." Factor in the natural variance of geographic ties and preferences between classes and schools, and it's impossible to draw meaningful generalizations.

Chicago is just rough in general. If good numbers were available, it would be interesting to see the ratio of NLJ 250 offers to total available NLJ 250 SA spots for each of Chicago and NYC. I'd bet Chicago's yield is still significantly larger than NYC's at WUSTL. Just a guess, though.
Wow. Top 15% and Law Review and the best firm in Chicago was a non-Vault NLJ250? Every time I get on this thread, I am more thankful that I went the T14 route instead of $$$ at WUSTL. Because I would have went gunning for the big markets (I just can't imagine myself living longterm in a St. Louis or Kansas City or Milwaukee or St. Paul. I also had no idea when I was looking at schools that Aurora, Colorado and Wichita, Kansas have larger populations than St. Louis.)

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Fellow Dinsmore comrade, hear anything?

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow. Top 15% and Law Review and the best firm in Chicago was a non-Vault NLJ250? Every time I get on this thread, I am more thankful that I went the T14 route instead of $$$ at WUSTL. Because I would have went gunning for the big markets (I just can't imagine myself living longterm in a St. Louis or Kansas City or Milwaukee or St. Paul. I also had no idea when I was looking at schools that Aurora, Colorado and Wichita, Kansas have larger populations than St. Louis.)
City population doesn't equal metro population Mr. t14

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fellow Dinsmore comrade, hear anything?
Nope, still nothing. CB was 2 weeks ago. To be fair they told me at the CB that it may be 3 weeks before they decide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fellow Dinsmore comrade, hear anything?
Nope, still nothing. CB was 2 weeks ago. To be fair they told me at the CB that it may be 3 weeks before they decide.
Man, I wish they had given me a definitive timeline. The "very soon" really threw me off.

As always, continued best of luck to you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Mahoney Silverman, Allstate, or Berger Schatz?
know someone who heard from berger schatz

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Did anyone ever hear anything from Greenebaum in Louisville?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal counterpoint:

WUSTL just outside top 1/3 secondary journal 0 callbacks in chi, tured down V60 in Cal took boutique in cal.
- this post is not for the people that can ID me, it's just more info for the thread -

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Notor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow. Top 15% and Law Review and the best firm in Chicago was a non-Vault NLJ250? Every time I get on this thread, I am more thankful that I went the T14 route instead of $$$ at WUSTL. Because I would have went gunning for the big markets (I just can't imagine myself living longterm in a St. Louis or Kansas City or Milwaukee or St. Paul. I also had no idea when I was looking at schools that Aurora, Colorado and Wichita, Kansas have larger populations than St. Louis.)
This.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_U ... ical_Areas

St. Louis ranks 18th. Wichita is 84th.

Also, I'm sure WUSTLers with $$$ and big city offers are equally glad they made the decision they did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Notor wrote:
This.

Also, I'm sure WUSTLers with $$$ and big city offers are equally glad they made the decision they did.
I'd value my gladness at about 150k plus whatever being at a school with an easier curve and cooler people is worth, but I do recognize that it's a best case sort of thing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Notor wrote:
This.

Yeah, St. Louis isn't bad population-wise when you include all the suburbs. Which is cool. I like suburbs. I visit them all the time now that I'm in law school.

In regard to the latter, (1) how much of the class are we talking about? probably around the 5% range? , and (2) all big-city offers are not created equal; aren't there something like a dozen total WUSTL people at Kirkland and Sidley combined? I wouldn't be surprised if there are some WUSTLers who did well, got an NLJ250 offer in a big city, but wish they would have traded up for a T14 so they could have had a shot at the top firms (and top exit options). Obviously it doesn't matter to any of us now and I don't want to endlessly bring down WUSTL (it seems like the OCI reporting on TLS is enough), but I do know there are prospective students checking out this thread, so it might be something to think about, especially when you're just comparing straight NLJ250-to-NLJ250 numbers. I got an offer from my dream firm and I'm quite confident in saying that wouldn't have happened if I would have taken the WUSTL money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote: I got an offer from my dream firm and I'm quite confident in saying that wouldn't have happened if I would have taken the WUSTL money.
There are WUSTLers with V5 offers.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I got an offer from my dream firm and I'm quite confident in saying that wouldn't have happened if I would have taken the WUSTL money.
This is basically a tag, but to keep somewhat on topic: my TA in Legal Practice summered at a V5. It happens at the top, even if nowhere else.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:55 am

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there are. After all, there are something like a total of six WUSTL associates in the entire V5. I imagine every year a student or two gets an offer. I just don't think I would have been one of the lucky few. Now at my current school where 17-20% of the students are probably going to summer at a V10? I can swing being in that 17-20%.
WUSTL generally does as well as any of its T25 midwestern peers
I don't think that's true at all, is it? I thought that Notre Dame had a quite healthy advantage in placement over WUSTL?

Again, just giving prospective students browsing this thread something to chew on when they're looking at WUSTL w/$$$ v. T14. (Also assuming that you think you're going to be in the top 20% and don't mind living in Kansas City or Milwaukee.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”