Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since there seems to be several people on here who did CBs with Hall Render, did they give any of you a real timeline of hearing back?
I was told mid October and they don't do rolling offers.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the general morale like around the school at WUSTL/UIUC/ND? I imagine that a lot of people went in with dreams of Chicago/NYC biglaw and are being shot down left and right. Is the atmosphere at the schools as funeralesque as I'm imagining them being? Or is it just one of those things where everybody knew the odds were stacked tremendously against them, so OCI-striking-out is no big deal?
Pm me if you want some distributions.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the general morale like around the school at WUSTL/UIUC/ND? I imagine that a lot of people went in with dreams of Chicago/NYC biglaw and are being shot down left and right. Is the atmosphere at the schools as funeralesque as I'm imagining them being? Or is it just one of those things where everybody knew the odds were stacked tremendously against them, so OCI-striking-out is no big deal?
There's a good chunk of people who got jobs they wanted in cities they wanted, a few that have jobs but never thought they would live there. On the other hand, there's people who have nothing and praying for anything. Then there's people (about half) who appear to still be oblivious about the process and not realizing how backed up they are in terms of finding a job.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm

deebs wrote: There's a good chunk of people who got jobs they wanted in cities they wanted, a few that have jobs but never thought they would live there. On the other hand, there's people who have nothing and praying for anything. Then there's people (about half) who appear to still be oblivious about the process and not realizing how backed up they are in terms of finding a job.
There are people who are doing nothing at all? :shock:

jennjd

New

Post by jennjd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:20 pm

For the posters asking about Polsinelli and Shook..... have dings from both. Received in snail mail about 1 week after CB. They must have really hated me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Grizz wrote:
beachbum wrote:+1, hopin you all get some good news soon
This. At least the USS Worried has a ton of good news as well as bad. Here it's almost all bad.
I think there is some significant under-reporting. People are a heck of a lot more likely to say "Ding at _____" than say "Offer at ____" because they are easily outable when they do so. And obviously, just about everyone will get more dings than offers. So yeah, things are bad, I just don't think this thread serves as an accurate metric. Most of the people I know with offers haven't said a word in this thread about it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:14 pm

To any 1L or incoming student reading this: If you go to a T20 (especially WUSTL), DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING TO CHICAGO. Sure, apply your ass off to Chicago if you so choose. But you need to be looking elsewhere as much as possible. I do not exaggerate when I say I know almost no one with a Chicago offer. Folks with top grades and offers at prestigious NYC/DC firms were getting dings left and right in Chicago. Folks who wound up with multiple offers in other Midwestern cities couldn't even snag a CB (sometimes not even a screener) in Chicago.

People are getting offers, probably about the same as last year or maybe even slightly more (hard to know at this point). I still expect ~25% of our class to get an SA of some sort. But only a small percentage of those folks will be going to Chicago biglaw. If you're going to come here, diversify that portfolio at OCI. And if you're dead set on Chicago, I'd say don't even bother coming here.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
To any 1L or incoming student reading this: If you go to a T20 (especially WUSTL), DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING TO CHICAGO. Sure, apply your ass off to Chicago if you so choose. But you need to be looking elsewhere as much as possible. I do not exaggerate when I say I know almost no one with a Chicago offer. Folks with top grades and offers at prestigious NYC/DC firms were getting dings left and right in Chicago. Folks who wound up with multiple offers in other Midwestern cities couldn't even snag a CB (sometimes not even a screener) in Chicago.

People are getting offers, probably about the same as last year or maybe even slightly more (hard to know at this point). I still expect ~25% of our class to get an SA of some sort. But only a small percentage of those folks will be going to Chicago biglaw. If you're going to come here, diversify that portfolio at OCI. And if you're dead set on Chicago, I'd say don't even bother coming here.
+1

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 pm

romothesavior wrote: To any 1L or incoming student reading this: If you go to a T20 (especially WUSTL), DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING TO CHICAGO. Sure, apply your ass off to Chicago if you so choose. But you need to be looking elsewhere as much as possible. I do not exaggerate when I say I know almost no one with a Chicago offer. Folks with top grades and offers at prestigious NYC/DC firms were getting dings left and right in Chicago. Folks who wound up with multiple offers in other Midwestern cities couldn't even snag a CB (sometimes not even a screener) in Chicago.

What's going on in Chi that this is the case? Are firms there just taking more from the nearby T14s or is the market just lagging way behind ny?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:51 pm

even people from chicago are having trouble landing in chicago from wustl. the CHI market is just pretty brutal. I don't think it's that they are taking from higher ranked schools as much as it is they just aren't taking people in general. chances of placing in CHI used to be much better out of wustl. the chances are just not as high (fairly low) right now mostly, i think, because of the market.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:51 pm

minnbills wrote:What's going on in Chi that this is the case? Are firms there just taking more from the nearby T14s or is the market just lagging way behind ny?
Certainly the latter, but also the former to some degree as well (I'm guessing). Thesealocust posted a thread showing that NYC has something like 1000-1500 more SA positions than Chicago or something ridiculous like that. There just aren't nearly as many positions. NYC has gotten a lot stronger in the last year or two, while only a few of the really big Chicago firms have bounced back at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 pm

From what I can tell, most of the top (10% + LR + 1337 interview skills) of the class at UIUC is getting Chicago, so it's not just Harvard kids taking all the jobs. I know people with offers from every major Chicago office.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 pm

minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote: To any 1L or incoming student reading this: If you go to a T20 (especially WUSTL), DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING TO CHICAGO. Sure, apply your ass off to Chicago if you so choose. But you need to be looking elsewhere as much as possible. I do not exaggerate when I say I know almost no one with a Chicago offer. Folks with top grades and offers at prestigious NYC/DC firms were getting dings left and right in Chicago. Folks who wound up with multiple offers in other Midwestern cities couldn't even snag a CB (sometimes not even a screener) in Chicago.

What's going on in Chi that this is the case? Are firms there just taking more from the nearby T14s or is the market just lagging way behind ny?
It's definitely a smaller market, but also, there are so many people from UChicago, Northwestern, and Michigan targeting Chicago. There is such a tremendous gap in placement between those schools and ND/UIUC/WUSTL, it's astounding. WUSTL has 18 attorneys total at Kirkland-Chi and Sidley-Chi combined. Notre Dame has 25. University of Chicago has 187, even with a smaller class size than both WUSTL and ND. Northwestern has 161. After you do the math, you realize how hilariously small the chance is that you will get a decent job in Chicago coming from ND or WUSTL. UIUC offers much better placement into Chicago, but it's still hugely lagging behind schools like UChicago and Northwestern (even though a hell of a lot of students from those two schools could get a biglaw job in Chicago, but head elsewhere out of self-selection).

Also, does UIUC provide statistics for how many of their students stay in the Midwest? Couldn't find it on their website anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, most of the top (10% + LR + 1337 interview skills) of the class at UIUC is getting Chicago, so it's not just Harvard kids taking all the jobs.
I think this is also the case at WUSTL, there's just a pretty strong drop-off in Chicago opportunities outside of that range. Many of our top students who didn't transfer up successfully targeted other markets, and probably could've landed Chicago SAs. I don't think that anyone's suggesting top students who interview well can't get Chicago from WUSTL, but no one should assume they'll be one of those students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, most of the top (10% + LR + 1337 interview skills) of the class at UIUC is getting Chicago, so it's not just Harvard kids taking all the jobs.
I think this is also the case at WUSTL, there's just a pretty strong drop-off in Chicago opportunities outside of that range. Many of our top students who didn't transfer up successfully targeted other markets, and probably could've landed Chicago SAs. I don't think that anyone's suggesting top students who interview well can't get Chicago from WUSTL, but no one should assume they'll be one of those students.
Yeah, Chicago's doable with top grades but WUSTL's class is more geographically diverse so a lot of our top people are looking at other markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:19 pm

I'd say there are 3 or 4 distinct groups.

1. Top of the Class + LR. These people are Generally doing fine unless they are dbags/aspies
2. Bottom 60 percent of the class who didn't get interviews at OCI or got few of them. A good chunk know that they are boned, but a surprising chunk seem to be oblivious to their plight, or they just don't give a fuck. In general these kids seem ok
3. The most depressed group is the students ranked in the 15-30 percent range. These kids have good grades, but are getting shot down left and right, or being "forced" to settle with flyover firms or firms with below market pay. These kids have so much ambition and they thought they had a shot, but are struggling, they are arguable more angry/depressed than any other group, even the bottom of the class kids. These will be the "I coulda been a contenda" kids come graduation.
4. Kids w/ guaranteed jobs before law school. (Dad's firm, connections, etc) these kids have been drunk/partying/relaxed since day 1

When the chips fall, 20-25 percent of the class will land a traditional "SA" position at an NLJ/etc type firm from OCI. 30-50 percent will be employed at graduation, another chunk will get a job after passing the bar, the rest may never practice law .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Every time I open this thread I get a bit more depressed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Every time I open this thread I get a bit more depressed.
+1. Being from St. Louis, I've pretty much grown up in awe of WUSTL. And even though there are plenty of warnings/tales of woe going around TLS, it still kinda blows my mind that such a large portion of the class from such a good school is destined for un/underemployment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:16 am

Hey what does everyone think about this....in the event a firm doesn't work out...think there's any chance at doing something non-legal like consulting or the like?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... legal-work

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey what does everyone think about this....in the event a firm doesn't work out...think there's any chance at doing something non-legal like consulting or the like?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... legal-work
Yes, there is a chance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, Chicago's doable with top grades but WUSTL's class is more geographically diverse so a lot of our top people are looking at other markets.

+1. Definitely a pro/con for WUSTL. You'll find that WUSTL probably has alumni more spread out across the country than other schools in our peer group which does have benefits, but it is comparatively weaker in having one city where a superfluity of alumni are located. STL is of course very strong, NYC is still pretty solid, Chicago is good in boom times but lagging in the last 4 years, and DC is gradually on the way up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

For anyone with an offer from Dinsmore, how long did it take to come after the CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'd say there are 3 or 4 distinct groups.

1. Top of the Class + LR. These people are Generally doing fine unless they are dbags/aspies
2. Bottom 60 percent of the class who didn't get interviews at OCI or got few of them. A good chunk know that they are boned, but a surprising chunk seem to be oblivious to their plight, or they just don't give a fuck. In general these kids seem ok
3. The most depressed group is the students ranked in the 15-30 percent range. These kids have good grades, but are getting shot down left and right, or being "forced" to settle with flyover firms or firms with below market pay. These kids have so much ambition and they thought they had a shot, but are struggling, they are arguable more angry/depressed than any other group, even the bottom of the class kids. These will be the "I coulda been a contenda" kids come graduation.
4. Kids w/ guaranteed jobs before law school. (Dad's firm, connections, etc) these kids have been drunk/partying/relaxed since day 1

When the chips fall, 20-25 percent of the class will land a traditional "SA" position at an NLJ/etc type firm from OCI. 30-50 percent will be employed at graduation, another chunk will get a job after passing the bar, the rest may never practice law .
I don't know if this is where you are, but this describes ND so well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 am

^ I was referring to WUSTL, but i bet it's like that at allot of midrange schools

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 am

Illinois - Anyone hear from Berger Schatz or Hodges, Loizzi?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”