Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm holding out hope there is a "second window" opportunity, in which case going longer without hearing from firms may suddenly be a good thing. As firms' first choices make their decisions and the people with multiple callbacks narrow down to one acceptance, it stands to reason there may be more rounds of callbacks. So I've gone from thinking, "I want to hear back from all of these firms within a week or two" to "I don't want to hear back from any of these firms for another week or two."

Logical thinking or self-delusion? Just sort of musing...the Midwest (especially secondary markets) seems to move reaalllllly slowly compared to the big markets.


Self delusion. I had a screener at an IP fair over a month ago. Called to check up on it today. Recruiter said "Oh we forgot to send your letter... no callback. Sorry."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm

any news on reinhart boerner?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm holding out hope there is a "second window" opportunity, in which case going longer without hearing from firms may suddenly be a good thing. As firms' first choices make their decisions and the people with multiple callbacks narrow down to one acceptance, it stands to reason there may be more rounds of callbacks. So I've gone from thinking, "I want to hear back from all of these firms within a week or two" to "I don't want to hear back from any of these firms for another week or two."

Logical thinking or self-delusion? Just sort of musing...the Midwest (especially secondary markets) seems to move reaalllllly slowly compared to the big markets.


Self delusion. I had a screener at an IP fair over a month ago. Called to check up on it today. Recruiter said "Oh we forgot to send your letter... no callback. Sorry."
Eh. I got a CB from a PLIP screener a week and a half ago - I'm about 90% sure that it took so long because I was part of some sort of hold list thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?


I had a CB in their St. Louis office a few weeks ago and loved it. Seems like they're real people who work hard but understand that they all have lives outside the office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:26 pm

UIUC top 10%

Offer at one of St. Louis's largest firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Congrats....Are the firm's initials HB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Has anyone heard of anything in Cincinnati or Louisville?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats....Are the firm's initials HB?



Didn't want to out myself but this game isn't fun for anyone so I might as well be transparent.

The offer is with Bryan Cave. I'm extremely excited about it!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats....Are the firm's initials HB?


Didn't want to out myself but this game isn't fun for anyone so I might as well be transparent.

The offer is with Bryan Cave. I'm extremely excited about it!


Congrats! Which weekend did you interview at BC?

Me (@WUSTL):
- 2nd round CB for Greensfelder
- Husch KC CB

PM me for more info; don't know want to out myself.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PM me for more info


lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 pm

There are second round CBs at Greensfelder? Please explain...I'm curious since I had a regular CB with them a few weeks ago. I wouldn't take them over my current offer, though. I just wasn't feeling the vibe there.

And re: BC: I did not interview on a weekend. I came in midweek in late August / early September.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:39 pm

dont lose hope guys... I was just about to lose hope and bam just picked up a callback in a secondary city. 3L student top 20% UIUC/ND

3L recruiting is wild and crazy. 3 screeners 2 callbacks.... all from mass mail.
As a 2L I had 15 screeners and 2 callbacks.

It seems that firms woudln't even interview you as a 3L unless they think you have a decent shot at getting a job. I think getting any sort of sceener as a 3L is a very good sign.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Anyone hear anything from Greenebaum?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Greenebaum?


Dinged after a screener about three weeks ago (screener was two weeks before that).

T1/25%/LR, applied to Louisville, Lexington, and Cincy offices

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?


I had a CB in their St. Louis office a few weeks ago and loved it. Seems like they're real people who work hard but understand that they all have lives outside the office.


+1, this is the impression I've received from current and former BC (St. Louis) associates. And the fact that they just raised their starting salary doesn't hurt, either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Greenebaum?


Dinged after a screener about three weeks ago (screener was two weeks before that).

T1/25%/LR, applied to Louisville, Lexington, and Cincy offices


Had a CB with them last week, but haven't heard from them. Said they would get back to us by the middle of this week, so I wanted to see if anyone had been in contact with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 pm

beachbum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?


I had a CB in their St. Louis office a few weeks ago and loved it. Seems like they're real people who work hard but understand that they all have lives outside the office.


+1, this is the impression I've received from current and former BC (St. Louis) associates. And the fact that they just raised their starting salary doesn't hurt, either.

don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. i've spoken candidly to bryan cave associates who say they earn more than other stl associates because they work more. one associate reported spending more time at the office than his colleagues in big chicago firms, and he said his hours were the norm in his practice group (don't remember which group it was).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Greenebaum?


Dinged after a screener about three weeks ago (screener was two weeks before that).

T1/25%/LR, applied to Louisville, Lexington, and Cincy offices


Had a CB with them last week, but haven't heard from them. Said they would get back to us by the middle of this week, so I wanted to see if anyone had been in contact with them.


Same boat. I will post if I hear of anything, hopefully you will do the same! Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?


I had a CB in their St. Louis office a few weeks ago and loved it. Seems like they're real people who work hard but understand that they all have lives outside the office.


+1, this is the impression I've received from current and former BC (St. Louis) associates. And the fact that they just raised their starting salary doesn't hurt, either.

don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. i've spoken candidly to bryan cave associates who say they earn more than other stl associates because they work more. one associate reported spending more time at the office than his colleagues in big chicago firms, and he said his hours were the norm in his practice group (don't remember which group it was).



Yeah, I'm okay with being paid more to work more. But I also know a few single mothers at BC who reported having infants during their first few years and surviving just fine. They said that there is still pressure to bill high amounts, but it was fine to do a significant chunk from home (In office from 8-6 ish, work from home a few hours) and it's unusual to see people in the office on the weekends/holidays.

Additionally, a few of my interviewers were going to their kids sporting events and then working from home for the rest of the night. The consensus seemed to be that if you're in the office during office hours and enough so that you get facetime with partners so you can get projects, you'll be fine. When you're in the middle of a big project, you don't need to do all your work from your desk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insights on Bryan Cave's midwest offices? I'm wondering about Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago. Culture? Safe in this economy? Is it still considered one of the better firms in the Midwest?


I had a CB in their St. Louis office a few weeks ago and loved it. Seems like they're real people who work hard but understand that they all have lives outside the office.


+1, this is the impression I've received from current and former BC (St. Louis) associates. And the fact that they just raised their starting salary doesn't hurt, either.

don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. i've spoken candidly to bryan cave associates who say they earn more than other stl associates because they work more. one associate reported spending more time at the office than his colleagues in big chicago firms, and he said his hours were the norm in his practice group (don't remember which group it was).


I've heard similar things. Everyone needs to make sure they ask associates candid questions before accepting an offer. Also, I wouldn't get too excited about the pay increase, for these reasons:

Per http://abovethelaw.com/2010/01/bryan-ca ... le-freeze/, BC froze salaries in 2009, cut all salaries in June 2009 by 10%, and then froze salaries in 2010. The problem is compounded by backed up new associates (see http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/incoming ... e-to-2012/) (seven of whom the firm paid to defer another year beyond their deferred year - they start in January of 2012). That doesn't necessarily bode well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard similar things. Everyone needs to make sure they ask associates candid questions before accepting an offer. Also, I wouldn't get too excited about the pay increase, for these reasons:

Per http://abovethelaw.com/2010/01/bryan-ca ... le-freeze/, BC froze salaries in 2009, cut all salaries in June 2009 by 10%, and then froze salaries in 2010. The problem is compounded by backed up new associates (see http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/incoming ... e-to-2012/) (seven of whom the firm paid to defer another year beyond their deferred year - they start in January of 2012). That doesn't necessarily bode well.



Very Fair. Thankfully, though, their St. Louis office is all caught up and, according to their recruiter and hiring partner, they believe they're done with all deferrals. I'm definitely asking these questions!

Edit: They asked those who were deferred to start earlier than their originally projected dates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Greenebaum?


Dinged after a screener about three weeks ago (screener was two weeks before that).

T1/25%/LR, applied to Louisville, Lexington, and Cincy offices


Had a CB with them last week, but haven't heard from them. Said they would get back to us by the middle of this week, so I wanted to see if anyone had been in contact with them.


Same boat. I will post if I hear of anything, hopefully you will do the same! Good luck!


Will do, and good luck to you too!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Any news out of Ice Miller's callback extravaganza on Friday?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 am

Bryan Cave sucks. Sure they pay more, but the culture there is terrible and they work far more than most firms in town, including firms like Husch and TC.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.