Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.

I just had my 30th screener interview this week, so far I have 17 rejects. I'll be there handing out flyers with you.

Do you go to my school? If so, we should commiserate together.

WUSTTTL

What's sad is, it seems if you aren't top 20 or 10 percent or so, you might as well have been below median, and all that hard work is worthless.

And even then it's not a guarantee... I know top 10% + LR (and non-douchebags) who are also striking out. It's terrible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:19 am

I also have some rediculous family connection and even those aren't getting me a job, le sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Oban wrote:Diversity fairs may not provide any additional boost, but being URM, at least at my Midwestern T25, is proving to be statistically significant. A handful of URMs in our class who should be just out of reach of biglaw from our school (ranked 30-40%) have offers in hand, whereas the non-URMs in the same grade range have been shut out thus far.

How do you know where these URM's are ranked?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Diversity fairs may not provide any additional boost, but being URM, at least at my Midwestern T25, is proving to be statistically significant. A handful of URMs in our class who should be just out of reach of biglaw from our school (ranked 30-40%) have offers in hand, whereas the non-URMs twenty percentiles higher in the same grade range have been shut out thus far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Diversity fairs may not provide any additional boost, but being URM, at least at my Midwestern T25, is proving to be statistically significant. A handful of URMs in our class who should be just out of reach of biglaw from our school (ranked 30-40%) have offers in hand, whereas the non-URMs twenty percentiles higher in the same grade range have been shut out thus far.

ITT, white kids complain about how the URMs are stealing all the jobs.

As a fellow non-URM still enduring the job search at a Midwestern T25, I fully understand how frustrating it is not to have an offer.  But the fact that we don't have jobs yet doesn't give us the right to point out all the reasons that others shouldn't have gotten theirs.  I understand the resentment, but let's keep it in check.  The things you post out of frustration on this board are seen by a lot of our classmates who lurk and can be (and are) taken the wrong way.  

From what I can tell from talking with my friends at school, one of the facts that hasn't been brought up on this board is that most of the URMs that are getting jobs that "should be just out of reach" are looking in non-midwestern markets, particularly NY and SF.   It seems like the majority of people posting ITT are trying to stay in the midwest, so why should it matter that someone else, URM or otherwise, got a job in markets we have no interest in?  

As I said before, I get how frustrating this job search is and I know it's easy to resent the people who are done (even if you are happy for them/know that you should be).  I just wanted to remind everyone that what you say on TLS does not stay on TLS.  It would suck to be labeled racist or whatever IRL because of comments made in the heat of the moment on here. 

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ITT, white kids complain about how the URMs are stealing all the jobs.

As a fellow non-URM still enduring the job search at a Midwestern T25, I fully understand how frustrating it is not to have an offer.  But the fact that we don't have jobs yet doesn't give us the right to point out all the reasons that others shouldn't have gotten theirs.  I understand the resentment, but let's keep it in check.  The things you post out of frustration on this board are seen by a lot of our classmates who lurk and can be (and are) taken the wrong way.  

From what I can tell from talking with my friends at school, one of the facts that hasn't been brought up on this board is that most of the URMs that are getting jobs that "should be just out of reach" are looking in non-midwestern markets, particularly NY and SF.   It seems like the majority of people posting ITT are trying to stay in the midwest, so why should it matter that someone else, URM or otherwise, got a job in markets we have no interest in?  

As I said before, I get how frustrating this job search is and I know it's easy to resent the people who are done (even if you are happy for them/know that you should be).  I just wanted to remind everyone that what you say on TLS does not stay on TLS.  It would suck to be labeled racist or whatever IRL because of comments made in the heat of the moment on here. 

It's not racist to observe trends and post factual information. This board should be an accurate reflection of the job market in order for people to make informed decisions about where to bid and go to law school. Without question, urm have a boost and perhaps a huge boost in getting an offer in big law. Is it a guarantee? No. But there is a significant percentage of white applicants who would get an offer if they were not. However, people shouldn't look at it as urm's "stealing" their spot, everyone is just playing a different game.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 am

The reason URM boosts are being brought up is because, as mentioned before, it is disingenuous and thoroughly unhelpful to say "I have median grades and a big firm job, anyone can do it" without mentioning you are a URM. This doesn't take away at all from the work of the URMs in this thead, and I don't have an issue with any URM boost. I think both schools and firms should care about adding diversity. But lets not ignore it exists.

One of the primary purposes of this thread is to share information about callbacks/offers with credentials included so that others can have an accurate picture of the market and know where they stand. This isn't a white kid "whining" about how "They took our jerbs!" I just want to know who is getting offers, where and how, that's all.

So lets end this AA bickering and get back to what has otherwise been a tremendously helpful thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:So lets end this AA bickering and get back to what has otherwise been a tremendously helpful thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am

Has anyone received offers from any Cleveland firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:39 am

At my T20, I have only heard of a couple URMs w/ median or below get big lawl, past or present. At schools in the T10-t14 it happens all time. The most successful URMs I know have great grades or are IP. I know two that graded onto law review and had 1L big law, and a few more who had great work experience and good grades(top third or so) and have big law offers. A few more had IP. The rest are sitting here with the rest of class, waiting, hoping, striking out, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received offers from any Cleveland firms?

I've heard of two offers for Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Tread carefully in Cleveland. I've heard one of the major cleveland firms have been no offering around 1/2 their SA for the last 3 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.

I just had my 30th screener interview this week, so far I have 17 rejects. I'll be there handing out flyers with you.

Do you go to my school? If so, we should commiserate together.

WUSTTTL

What's sad is, it seems if you aren't top 20 or 10 percent or so, you might as well have been below median, and all that hard work is worthless.

30 screeners at WUSTL is pretty good. The thing i hate most is when I go on callbacks to other secondary markets, the HR asks me about WUSTL and where it is located.... Suprisingly, WUSTL is relatively unknown in the upper midwest. IE Michigan,Minn, Ohio, western penn. it makes me feel very shitty inside. FML i should have went to ND.............

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Perkins Coie Chicago ding via e-mail today (after screener at job fair).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Squire has been sending some offers, but I feel like going there is a risky proposition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perkins Coie Chicago ding via e-mail today (after screener at job fair).

how long ago was the screener? i've been waiting to hear from them for 3+ weeks now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Perkins Coie Chicago ding via e-mail today (after screener at job fair).

how long ago was the screener? i've been waiting to hear from them for 3+ weeks now.

I interviewed with them August 12.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I interviewed with them August 12.

dang..they move slow. i wonder if they're that slow getting CBs out..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Snail mail ding from Husch STL after screener at UIUC. top 25% Sighhh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Snail mail ding from Faegre in Des Moines. Told me in the interview they were only bringing on one SA in Des Moines this year, and they know I already have an offer from 1L firm (e.g. they were pretty pushing about asking and finding out; I don't blame them). I figured it was a long shot. Especially considering they surely got better qualified interviewees than me; even if I interviewed well the existing offer and lower academic achievement (outside of top 1/3 at U Iowa) were two strikes against me.

Other than that, Des Moines and Minnesota are moving slooooooooooww. It's a month out and I haven't heard back from half my screeners. Probably dings, but I figure I'm still in it until I get that letter!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:04 pm

No jobs for anyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Snail mail ding from Husch STL after screener at UIUC. top 25% Sighhh

I'm top 25% at WUSTL - curious how things are going for you? I've got nothing but dings and silence from OCI thus far

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, just about struck out. Dinged from all 3 of my CBs today. Just outside top 1/3, IP, minority but not URM (read: Asian), aiming for CA (I'm from there). Had 1 CB in Chi and 2 in CA (from IP fair). Waiting to hear back from 4 OCI screeners, but barring a miracle or mass-mailing coming through for me, it's over. Absolutely depressed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, just about struck out. Dinged from all 3 of my CBs today. Just outside top 1/3, IP, minority but not URM (read: Asian), aiming for CA (I'm from there). Had 1 CB in Chi and 2 in CA (from IP fair). Waiting to hear back from 4 OCI screeners, but barring a miracle or mass-mailing coming through for me, it's over. Absolutely depressed.

School?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

For those of you who strike out, what are you planning on doing?

Return to “Legal Employment”