Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:36 pm

No problem man. And seriously and genuinely, congrats on the offer. I hope every single one of us can get something. I know you wustled your ass off for that job, and you deserve it.

And good luck to everyone else still waiting (including me). Just remember, its early still. Opportunities still exist.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 pm

I'd like to add that URM fairs aren't some junket where everyone who is brown is given keys to the executive washroom, at lot of them are for show and PR. Few people gets jobs out of them(people do, but few). I only know of 1 3L who got a job through one. I mean for example at the recent St. Louis diversity fair, Posinelli and Greenfelder interviewd 20 people each, they also interviewed 20 at wustl, 20 at slu, 20 and UIUC, etc. Greensfelder is hiring 2 SAs, and Posinelli 3. Go look at the firms websites, they both have laughably small numbers of minorities of any kind. Most firms just don't hire many URMs, especially when they have tiny summer class sizes.

Also 1L Diversity SA's are supper competetive and hard to get as well.

I'll think you'll see that when the dust settles, most of the URMs w/ biglawl will have similar grades(read good grades) to non URMs. I know the public perception is different, but going by what i've seen grades are the end all be all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 pm

I'll second this. Diversity fairs are mostly for show and jokes. If you do t have the credentials you won't get an offer. They'll interview, maybe even give you a callback but they won't hire you. There really is a misconception about these fairs. Most firms aren't really serious about hiring the minorities they interview. Just look at NALP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 pm

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 am

Oban wrote:I'd like to add that URM fairs aren't some junket where everyone who is brown is given keys to the executive washroom, at lot of them are for show and PR.

Preface: I'm not complaining because I know I was very fortunate through OCI and I don't attend a "Midwestern T25." I just want to add that I believe the benefits of minority job fairs are greatly exaggerated.

I think the recruiting people who grant screening interviews take the urm fairs seriously. The attorneys and hiring committees don't.

Sometimes the firms don't bother to send a partner (Shook sent an associate with four months experience to DuPont; I knew there was no way in hell I was getting a cb out of that). In most instances, it seems the attorneys who are sent to these fairs aren't even members of the hiring committee (yes, I know this can be the case at OCI as well).

FWIW: I was offered 11 cb's on 18 OCI screeners and 3 cb's on 15 diversity fair screeners (2 fairs).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:50 am

Back to OnTopic posting - Post school and % of class that participated in OCI you believe will/has received a job out of OCI.

This data needs to be compiled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:18 am

So Husch gave CBs to more WUSTL students on Friday. Any UIUC students with Husch CBs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 pm

UIUC here. Why are people so surprised to see top 10% getting rejected from firms? There are over 20ppl that are top 10% + LR and a bunch of other outside of top 10 but offer other things, IP, URM, WE, or a combination of those. Most firms are calling back 2-3 ppl tops from each OCI. Most of us will be rejected... We know this.

Also, sorry for repeating this, but some people should have spent more time learning how to interview. I know many great, smart, nice people that are not doing too well because they just cant interview. For for 1Ls, dont get scare, people posting here are self selecting, and people are more likely to post negative comments than to brag about their CB. I know people with 10+ CB from UIUC that are silently with them. Others with offers from V10 firms that are silently waiting for everyone to get their offers before they let anyone know. And many many of those poor non-top 10% people who have 5+ CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Milwaukee firms movement?

I have heard of CBs at Reinhart and Godfrey at UW. Nothing from foley, quarles, whyte hirschboek, or Von briesen though.

Update time?

I've heard of Foley, Godfrey, Reinhart, Whyte CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 pm

And still not a peep from SHB or Polsinelli...at least as far as I've heard. Anyone with news?

Anyone know if Husch-KC has started CBs? I've heard Husch-STL, and some of their other offices, but nothing about KC.

The differences in approaches by firms to callbacks is interesting (read: annoying).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:So Husch gave CBs to more WUSTL students on Friday. Any UIUC students with Husch CBs?

UIUC here. I've not heard of any...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Milwaukee firms movement?

I have heard of CBs at Reinhart and Godfrey at UW. Nothing from foley, quarles, whyte hirschboek, or Von briesen though.

Update time?

I've heard of Foley, Godfrey, Reinhart, Whyte CBs.

What school for Reinhart?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So Husch gave CBs to more WUSTL students on Friday. Any UIUC students with Husch CBs?

UIUC here. I've not heard of any...

I think there were only like 4 or so from WUSTL. I imagine UIUC will have fewer Husch CBs than WUSTL, so there may only be 1-2 at UIUC. Perhaps they went out already and no one has posted it? I would check with your CSO, they have been helpful with giving me info that I cannot find on TLS. (blasphemy to say it, I know :lol: )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Ice Miller CB; anyone know anything about this firm? Good, bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Fredrikson & Byron CB. OCI screener three weeks ago. IUB, top 10%, LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ice Miller CB; anyone know anything about this firm? Good, bad?

Have heard it has a stuffy and grinding culture, and they no offered half the class last year. That's all I got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ice Miller CB; anyone know anything about this firm? Good, bad?

How did you hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How did you hear?

phone. 50% no-offer wtf?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Rejection from Davis Brown (Des Moines) today. U Iowa ~median. Still haven't heard from a handful of firms and it's almost a month out. I guess that's bad news, but not terrible news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

To anyone at a school where Thompson Coburn has interviewed, how long did it take to get a CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To anyone at a school where Thompson Coburn has interviewed, how long did it take to get a CB?

+1 Interviewed with them today on campus and really enjoyed it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To anyone at a school where Thompson Coburn has interviewed, how long did it take to get a CB?

Pretty sure they haven't done CBs yet from what I've gathered, but I'd imagine they'll start in the next week or two since they had OCI at WUSTL last week and at UIUC today. I interviewed with them at a job fair a few weeks back and still haven't heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pretty sure they haven't done CBs yet from what I've gathered, but I'd imagine they'll start in the next week or two since they had OCI at WUSTL last week and at UIUC today. I interviewed with them at a job fair a few weeks back and still haven't heard.

Ugh. Two weeks is long enough. If you don't want someone, put a letter in the mail and be done. If you do, have a call-back. I am amazed at the number of firms that just don't get this.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Oban wrote:I'd like to add that URM fairs aren't some junket where everyone who is brown is given keys to the executive washroom, at lot of them are for show and PR. Few people gets jobs out of them(people do, but few). I only know of 1 3L who got a job through one. I mean for example at the recent St. Louis diversity fair, Posinelli and Greenfelder interviewd 20 people each, they also interviewed 20 at wustl, 20 at slu, 20 and UIUC, etc. Greensfelder is hiring 2 SAs, and Posinelli 3. Go look at the firms websites, they both have laughably small numbers of minorities of any kind. Most firms just don't hire many URMs, especially when they have tiny summer class sizes.

I'll think you'll see that when the dust settles, most of the URMs w/ biglawl will have similar grades(read good grades) to non URMs. I know the public perception is different, but going by what i've seen grades are the end all be all.

This is 100% accurate and should serve as a warning to anyone who thinks a diversity fair will be their savior. In all honesty law school hiring breaks down into OCI and everything else. Diversity fairs are included in everything else; you go there looking for a job if OCI isnt working for you. Firms know that and they show up to get their names on the participation list but that's about all they care about there. I think many URMs are under misconception that their URM status will give them a hiring boost and that is absolutely untrue. Firm economics demand only top of the class students and no shortcuts around that, with the occasional exception for a son of a client who is graduating with subpar grades. But again, that exception is based on economics because it helps a client relationship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Oban wrote:I'd like to add that URM fairs aren't some junket where everyone who is brown is given keys to the executive washroom, at lot of them are for show and PR. Few people gets jobs out of them(people do, but few). I only know of 1 3L who got a job through one. I mean for example at the recent St. Louis diversity fair, Posinelli and Greenfelder interviewd 20 people each, they also interviewed 20 at wustl, 20 at slu, 20 and UIUC, etc. Greensfelder is hiring 2 SAs, and Posinelli 3. Go look at the firms websites, they both have laughably small numbers of minorities of any kind. Most firms just don't hire many URMs, especially when they have tiny summer class sizes.

This is 100% accurate and should serve as a warning to anyone who thinks a diversity fair will be their savior. In all honesty law school hiring breaks down into OCI and everything else. Diversity fairs are included in everything else; you go there looking for a job if OCI isnt working for you. Firms know that and they show up to get their names on the participation list but that's about all they care about there. I think many URMs are under misconception that their URM status will give them a hiring boost and that is absolutely untrue. Firm economics demand only top of the class students and no shortcuts around that, with the occasional exception for a son of a client who is graduating with subpar grades. But again, that exception is based on economics because it helps a client relationship.

Diversity fairs may not provide any additional boost, but being URM, at least at my Midwestern T25, is proving to be statistically significant. A handful of URMs in our class who should be just out of reach of biglaw from our school (ranked 30-40%) have offers in hand, whereas the non-URMs in the same grade range have been shut out thus far.

Return to “Legal Employment”