Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Soooo was there any news from Krieg DeVault last week/this week? Someone said they knew someone who said they were ready to make CB offers...

That was me. I'm sorry I don't have anything new to report; I haven't talked to my contact since last posting. To my knowledge, CBs still haven't gone out yet.

CB invite today!

Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:16 pm

email/call?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:email/call?

Email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm close to officially striking out

Welcome to the club.

As am I. Waiting on a few MM interviews, but have been dinged or soft-dinged from every OCI firm. I'd say over half my interviews went fairly well too, since the general consensus is to have a conversation and have had the following in separate interviews: favorite kinds of barbecue, lived in same town as interviewer, U2 concerts, NFL talk and shared favorite team, fellow college athlete in the sport i played in a couple, hbo shows in multiple interviews, favorite things to grill, etc.

Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:13 am

Teasdale Ding, interviewed at St. Louis Diversity Fair

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm close to officially striking out

Welcome to the club.

As am I. Waiting on a few MM interviews, but have been dinged or soft-dinged from every OCI firm. I'd say over half my interviews went fairly well too, since the general consensus is to have a conversation and have had the following in separate interviews: favorite kinds of barbecue, lived in same town as interviewer, U2 concerts, pittsburgh steelers in a couple, fellow college athlete in the sport i played in a couple, hbo shows in multiple interviews, favorite things to grill, etc.

Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.

I just had my 30th screener interview this week, so far I have 17 rejects. I'll be there handing out flyers with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.

I just had my 30th screener interview this week, so far I have 17 rejects. I'll be there handing out flyers with you.

Do you go to my school? If so, we should commiserate together.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have applied to over 150 firms between mass-mailing cities with ties and oci bids. Top 25% + LR at T20. Going to be telling 1L's to drop out all year if I strike out.

WUSTTTL

What's sad is, it seems if you aren't top 20 or 10 percent or so, you might as well have been below median, and all that hard work is worthless.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:32 am

What percentage of wustl is on LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:44 am

YourCaptain wrote:

38 2L's on it out of 270 at end of last semester - not sure what count is now with transfers/drops. Top 10% grades on, ~15 slots for write ons usually

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

38 2L's on it out of 270 at end of last semester - not sure what count is now with transfers/drops. Top 10% grades on, ~15 slots for write ons usually

What's your home market(s)? I'm going to hope you have UG pride; get in touch with alums from your UG in markets to which you have ties and say how interested you are. Send them a resume. This is not the time to play sly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WUSTTTL

What's sad is, it seems if you aren't top 20 or 10 percent or so, you might as well have been below median, and all that hard work is worthless.

i don't see it being fair placing the blame on your school. I'm your classmate, not on LR (but on a journal), and have median grades. i had a firm job lined up 2 weeks before class. Being so well ranked gave the the opportunity to have those 30 screeners. I only got 12 all summer through independent fairs. I only got one EIW which I was lucky enough to then be able to cancel.

I try to post as often as I can to remind people that this IS possible. It sucks and the market is rough (no lube type of rough) but it can be done. Yeah we commiserate here, but don't give up man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:40 pm

It's nice being IP and URM, but as mentioned previously in this thread, our school places less than 20 percent in NLJ250. Thus like being in the top 10 percent of the class, not everyone who is smart, charming, works hard and hustles will make it. I don't think anyone is giving up, but for some us, our efforts at landing a big firm are failing. It's not over yet, and not everyone wants big law, and there are other jobs out there in gov'ment, PI, and plaintifs work/shit lawl.

Just remember, only a third of the 3Ls had jobs last spring. If you have an offer now, you are lucky, please understand that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I try to post as often as I can to remind people that this IS possible.

Thanks, we love hearing about your great success

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's nice being IP and URM, but as mentioned previously in this thread, our school places less than 20 percent in NLJ250. Thus like being in the top 10 percent of the class, not everyone who is smart, charming, works hard and hustles will make it. I don't think anyone is giving up, but for some us, our efforts at landing a big firm are failing. It's not over yet, and not everyone wants big law, and there are other jobs out there in gov'ment, PI, and plaintifs work/shit lawl.

Just remember, only a third of the 3Ls had jobs last spring. If you have an offer now, you are lucky, please understand that.

Huge +1 to everything in this post.

I will say to the earlier anon though, any idea what may be holding you back? Have you gotten any CBs? 30 screeners is a lot, so it sounds like your credentials are reasonably solid. I won't flaunt my job and chastise you for being unemployed (I'm also unemployed so we're in the same boat), but keep your head up and keep doing what you can. Network, keep mailing, and utilize the CSO (they actually can be helpful if you get in with them often). One thing that has seemed to help me is to reach out to alum at the firm before a screener. The person will usually pass your name on to the screener, and it is one way to distinguish yourself and show added interest.

It is still reasonably early, and there are still a lot of great jobs out there. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I try to post as often as I can to remind people that this IS possible.

I'm tired of the few people who lucked out thinking they are god's gift to the rest of us poor social parasites. There are a lot of very personable people out there w/o offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm tired of the few people who lucked out thinking they are god's gift to the rest of us poor social parasites. There are a lot of very personable people out there w/o offers.

I remember a panel at my law school orientation last year where a kid with "low" grades but a good offer talked about how they found their job. This was the vibe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i don't see it being fair placing the blame on your school. I'm your classmate, not on LR (but on a journal), and have median grades. i had a firm job lined up 2 weeks before class. Being so well ranked gave the the opportunity to have those 30 screeners. I only got 12 all summer through independent fairs. I only got one EIW which I was lucky enough to then be able to cancel.

I try to post as often as I can to remind people that this IS possible. It sucks and the market is rough (no lube type of rough) but it can be done. Yeah we commiserate here, but don't give up man.

For you not to mention that you are both IP and URM is very misleading. You were able to attend IP and diversity job fairs that some of us would kill for. You have opportunities that very few "median" students will ever have. Please, do us a favor and stop posting this intellectually dishonest and self-aggrandizing nonsense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

wow. really nowhere in any of my posts have i said anything like that.
It really is an honest effort to be encouraging to people. I don't see why person A gets all enraged when person B gets an opportunity in a field and market that person A doesn't even have an interest in. I realize I am lucky. I'm not stupid.

If you want me to just spit gloom and doom and say everyone is screwed like you all are doing, sure I can do that. Or I can just :arrow: and let you all depress each other. If encouragement isn't appreciated, I'll stop trying to tell people not to give up.

my bad bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i don't see it being fair placing the blame on your school. I'm your classmate, not on LR (but on a journal), and have median grades. i had a firm job lined up 2 weeks before class. Being so well ranked gave the the opportunity to have those 30 screeners. I only got 12 all summer through independent fairs. I only got one EIW which I was lucky enough to then be able to cancel.

For you not to mention that you are both IP and URM is very misleading. You were able to attend IP and diversity job fairs that some of us would kill for. You have opportunities that very few "median" students will ever have. Please, do us a favor and stop posting this intellectually dishonest and self-aggrandizing nonsense.

Your first sentence is fair. I'm not sure everyone would kill to attend IP fairs when they aren't going to be looking for IP work. Attending minority fairs is an extra opportunity, but if you haven't been to them you have no idea what it's like, so don't think that they are just a golden ticket to jobs. I actually didn't get any opportunities out of them. Your last sentence is fairly dick-ish, but I will stop posting what I thought were attempts to alleviate some of the extreme pessimism.

--
All that being said, I do apologize if things that I've posted have upset people. My intent was quite the opposite. I thought it might help dissipate some of the negativity and I was wrong. Lesson learned.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:30 pm

When will St. Louis firms start making offers? I'm sick of waiting...

On another note: It was good meeting you at our interview, Romo.... ;-)

Yet another note: Let's not bitch at eachother. We're all just stressed out and there's no need to take things people say on here too personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:50 pm

I've been hearing week of the 19th!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

wow. really nowhere in any of my posts have i said anything like that.
It really is an honest effort to be encouraging to people. I don't see why person A gets all enraged when person B gets an opportunity in a field and market that person A doesn't even have an interest in. I realize I am lucky. I'm not stupid.

If you want me to just spit gloom and doom and say everyone is screwed like you all are doing, sure I can do that. Or I can just :arrow: and let you all depress each other. If encouragement isn't appreciated, I'll stop trying to tell people not to give up.
my bad bro.

I think there is a way to encourage without talking down to people. Your posts on TLS have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way re: jobs. You have talked about it nonstop for weeks and even gone so far as to tell people you can help them "nail" OCI interviews. You have turned a lot of people off with this kind of talk, even people in our class who just lurk think you have been arrogant about it. I know you don't mean to, but it is a touchy subject.

And no one would knock you for taking advantage of opportunities presented to you. I think most of us are genuinely happy that you have a job. I hope we all get them. WUSTL pride, rah rah. But you talk to us as if we can all do what you have done. Unfortunately, we can't, and pointing out how you got a firm job with median grades to a bunch of people without jobs and telling us we can all do what you did is just bound to rile everyone up. I know you don't mean to, but look at it from our perspective.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On another note: It was good meeting you at our interview, Romo.... ;-)

Whaaaaaa? How did you ID me!?? I am too obvious. :lol: PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think there is a way to encourage without talking down to people. Your posts on TLS have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way re: jobs. You have talked about it nonstop for weeks and even gone so far as to tell people you can help them "nail" OCI interviews. You have turned a lot of people off with this kind of talk, even people in our class who just lurk think you have been arrogant about it. I know you don't mean to, but it is a touchy subject.

And no one would knock you for taking advantage of opportunities presented to you. I think most of us are genuinely happy that you have a job. I hope we all get them. WUSTL pride, rah rah. But you talk to us as if we can all do what you have done. Unfortunately, we can't, and pointing out how you got a firm job with median grades to a bunch of people without jobs and telling us we can all do what you did is just bound to rile everyone up. I know you don't mean to, but look at it from our perspective.

I appreciate you putting it this way. I honestly did not realize I was rubbing people the wrong way and do sincerely apologize. Any offers for help have been sincere. Any attempts to encourage have also been sincere. We have brilliant people in our class and I really do want everyone to be successful. Anyone that's spoken to me in person knows that I would never want people to have taken things I've posted online in that way. I am the last one that thinks I am better than any other person in our class. Sorry guys. Seriously. And thanks again for explaining it this way. I know it's touchy.

Return to “Legal Employment”