Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JollyGreenGiant

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Based on what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who is a young Associate at Jenner... If you have an offer there, you might as well accept it. He feels like he just hit the lotto with a major firm policy change. Based on what he's telling me, Jenner just became the most desirable firm in Chicago as soon as this news hits ATL (which I would expect it will sometime today).

Anonymous User wrote:Basically they are raising their billable requirement from 2000 to 2100 but counting pro bono hours towards the goal is now unlimited. And apparently they are allowing associates to use hours they spent recruiting and some other previously non-billable stuff.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

You had me at "raising their billable requirement"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who is a young Associate at Jenner... If you have an offer there, you might as well accept it. He feels like he just hit the lotto with a major firm policy change. Based on what he's telling me, Jenner just became the most desirable firm in Chicago as soon as this news hits ATL (which I would expect it will sometime today).

I am trying to brainstorm what this could be. Lower billable requirement?

Just found out. Basically they are raising their billable requirement from 2000 to 2100 but counting pro bono hours towards the goal is now unlimited. And apparently they are allowing associates to use hours they spent recruiting and some other previously non-billable stuff. I don't think it's earth-shattering enough to make ATL, but it's pretty cool.

The way it was explained to me is that all firm work counts. My young associate friend's billables for the year basically just doubled. I'm not talking a few hours, I'm talking a several hundred hour jump over night for work that he had to do anyway. He described it as hitting the lottery, and he was doing pretty well with his hours for his class.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who is a young Associate at Jenner... If you have an offer there, you might as well accept it. He feels like he just hit the lotto with a major firm policy change. Based on what he's telling me, Jenner just became the most desirable firm in Chicago as soon as this news hits ATL (which I would expect it will sometime today).

Just found out. Basically they are raising their billable requirement from 2000 to 2100 but counting pro bono hours towards the goal is now unlimited. And apparently they are allowing associates to use hours they spent recruiting and some other previously non-billable stuff. I don't think it's earth-shattering enough to make ATL, but it's pretty cool.

The way it was explained to me is that all firm work counts. My 1st year associate friend's billables for the year basically just doubled. I'm not talking a few hours, I'm talking a several hundred hour jump over night for work that he had to do anyway. He described it as hitting the lottery, and he was doing pretty well with his hours for his class.

If that's true then that's crazy and now I'm more bummed than ever that I haven't got a Jenner CB yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 pm

I have a friend with offers at both Barack and Bartlit Beck—he turned both of them down upon learning about Jenner's new policy of allowing associates to work half as much for the same pay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend with offers at both Barack and Bartlit Beck—he turned both of them down upon learning about Jenner's new policy of allowing associates to work half as much for the same pay.

i hope he had an offer from Jenner then..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend with offers at both Barack and Bartlit Beck—he turned both of them down upon learning about Jenner's new policy of allowing associates to work half as much for the same pay.

He didn't interview with them during OCI, but he figured that massmail chances with Jenner is better than a sure thing with Bartlit or Barack.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The way it was explained to me is that all firm work counts. My young associate friend's billables for the year basically just doubled. I'm not talking a few hours, I'm talking a several hundred hour jump over night for work that he had to do anyway. He described it as hitting the lottery, and he was doing pretty well with his hours for his class.

His billables doubled? That requires that he was working at least twice as many hours as he billed, or 4000 hours per year, or 13 hours per day, six days per week, with no vacation time or holidays. SIGN ME UP!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He didn't interview with them during OCI, but he figured that massmail chances with Jenner is better than a sure thing with Bartlit or Barack.

doesn't sound like the best strategy ITE...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Polsinelli?

Unless your last name is Polsinelli or Shughart, I don't think you should count on this one. They're hiring a whopping 2-3 people, and they interviewed half the school, and I think every person I talked to said they loved their Polsinelli interviewer (the ladies were both really nice, no doubt).

In any case, I don't think anyone has heard, and I imagine most non v100 firms will be a few days or even weeks before they make CBs.

Kansas City Polsinelli CBs went out quickly, heard back in 3 days after screening. CB completed, but no offer (Yet?!) - anyone know how long they normally take to make offers? I think the KC class is larger, maybe 10+?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Some things that were said to me in my Heyl interview:
"When you walk into our firm, you're going to think 'Wow! There sure a lot of old white guys!'"
Some things about women not rising as frequently with the firm...
Some things about lack of a good work/life balance for women (in a small firm in Peoria? Really?)...

Maybe it was just my interviewers, but IMHO- sounds like a real winner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to brainstorm what this could be. Lower billable requirement?

His billables doubled? That requires that he was working at least twice as many hours as he billed, or 4000 hours per year, or 13 hours per day, six days per week, with no vacation time or holidays. SIGN ME UP!!

You do realize that he may not have been on pace to bill 2000, right? And the follow up to that is, you do realize that "basically" would be what I call an estimation. The billable increase was quite significant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Some things that were said to me in my Heyl interview:
"When you walk into our firm, you're going to think 'Wow! There sure a lot of old white guys!'"
Some things about lack of a good work/life balance for women (in a small firm in Peoria? Really?)...

They were probably just disappointed that they didn't work with Caruso.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:16 am

lolci

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:You do realize that he may not have been on pace to bill 2000, right? And the follow up to that is, you do realize that "basically" would be what I call an estimation. The billable increase was quite significant.

Haha, ok, he's "only" working 3600 hours then. My bad. Where is the line to sign up again? There are probably several openings what with all the suicides and whatnot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am

UIUC

Baker Daniels (Indy) Mass Mail CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:UIUC

stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 am

Any Milwaukee firms movement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 am

Was this at a screener or CB? And if screener, where was this? At UIUC, I thought the interviewers actually seemed quite personable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 am

I interviewed with Caruso yesterday and didn't find him at all like you've described him here. Very laid back, very easy to talk to, and overall a pretty good guy. Lisa Watson actually asked the majority of the questions and probably spoke about twice as much as he did. I was expecting it to be a nutty interview, but it turned out to be very straightforward and uneventful. Definitely didn't live up to expectations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 pm

U of Iowa - Ding from Nyemaster Goode via snail mail. Most awkward interview ever, so I was waiting for the ding. One guy was talking about how he concentrates his practice in one area, and I made a comment about how it must be rewarding to develop long-term relationships with certain clients. He responded with some rant about how at NYEMASTER they don't depend on just a few clients for business, and it's not like they are going to go out of business if they lose any one big client or anything. Listening comprehension fail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:47 pm

3 dings in the mail today- Varnum and Mika Meyers Grand Rapids as well as Vedder Price. That makes me 0/6 at EIW so far. 10%/LR ND.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3 dings in the mail today- Varnum and Mika Meyers Grand Rapids as well as Vedder Price. That makes me 0/6 at EIW so far. 10%/LR ND.

Were those call backs at Varnum/Mika Meyers, or screeners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:13 pm

After screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Based on what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who is a young Associate at Jenner... If you have an offer there, you might as well accept it. He feels like he just hit the lotto with a major firm policy change. Based on what he's telling me, Jenner just became the most desirable firm in Chicago as soon as this news hits ATL (which I would expect it will sometime today).

Anonymous User wrote:Basically they are raising their billable requirement from 2000 to 2100 but counting pro bono hours towards the goal is now unlimited. And apparently they are allowing associates to use hours they spent recruiting and some other previously non-billable stuff.

Are you kidding me???

My two friends at Jenner are scared shitless cause of this. They already make below market (remember Jenner only pays market for first years) and things are supposedly really slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UIUC

stats?

+1... this kind of info isn't that helpful without stats

Return to “Legal Employment”