Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
minnbills

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All I have is a lot of silence.

Go to Fordham, BU, BC, GW, whatever. Stay the hell away from IUB, UIUC, Minn, UW. This is terrible.

Are they really doing that much better? There doesn't seem to be much info on TLS lately.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 pm

It's still early, folks. Maybe these results will prove to be aberrations . . . :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:59 pm

minnbills wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I have is a lot of silence.

Go to Fordham, BU, BC, GW, whatever. Stay the hell away from IUB, UIUC, Minn, UW. This is terrible.

Are they really doing that much better? There doesn't seem to be much info on TLS lately.

BU/BC are just starting on campus interviews this week (BC starts tomorrow, I think BU is the same but I could be wrong, the joint NYC off-campus was this past Friday), so it's too early to tell. In a week from now we might be saying the same things in our own threads, or not. We'll see.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Anybody with any good news at all? Maybe some non-top 5% types?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anybody with any good news at all? Maybe some non-top 5% types?

There is someone outside the top 10% with LR that has at least four Chicago callbacks at UIUC. His resume is spectacular, though. And the number one in the class has somewhere around 11 callbacks, but that's to be expected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Top 5% & LR @ IU-B. No CBs.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% & LR @ IU-B. No CBs.

Have you had OCI?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Not to sugarcoat what is obviously not a great situation. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were some scamblogger/areyouinsane trolls anon posting in here.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 pm

minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Not to sugarcoat what is obviously not a great situation. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were some scamblogger/areyouinsane trolls anon posting in here.

I doubt it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Eh maybe, I really don't know anything about IUB. But top 5% with no CBs just seems outrageous to me. I know that the people in the top 5% at WUSTL are absolutely killing it with callbacks and offers from some of the very best firms in the country. I'm more interested in hearing what is going on with people outside the top 10%, since that's where I am.

I mean, if you figure that a decent chunk of people in the top of our classes are clerking, transferring, or not doing big firm work, that means that a decent number of people outside the top 10% must be getting jobs in order to get to 20% employed in NLJ firms after graduation (and even a few in solid non-NLJ firms that do OCI and all that jazz).
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Original Anon.

Our first round of OCI (the major one) has already happened. I can appreciate the "scamblogger" comment, but am not one. I don't know how to evidence that while maintaining anonymous status, sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm

minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

If you want a pm from one of the real posters here all you have to do is ask. I can give you my stats and you can do your own evaluations.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original Anon.

Our first round of OCI (the major one) has already happened. I can appreciate the "scamblogger" comment, but am not one. I don't know how to evidence that while maintaining anonymous status, sorry.

I've been wondering about the possibility reading through the thread, yours just sort of tipped me over the edge.

Do you have an idea of why you got no cbs?

I don't doubt at all that things suck, but when you see that a school sent 20% or so to the NLJ 250 and then people at the top of the class are coming up empty-handed, it really makes you throw your hands up in the air.

romothesavior wrote:Eh maybe, I really don't know anything about IUB. But top 5% with no CBs just seems outrageous to me. I know that the people in the top 5% at WUSTL are absolutely killing it with callbacks and offers from some of the very best firms in the country. I'm more interested in hearing what is going on with people outside the top 10%, since that's where I am.

I mean, if you figure that a decent chunk of people in the top of our classes are clerking, transferring, or not doing big firm work, that means that a decent number of people outside the top 10% must be getting jobs in order to get to 20% employed in NLJ firms after graduation (and even a few in solid non-NLJ firms that do OCI and all that jazz).

Basically this. What about non-NLJ firms? I know that Minnesota claims 45% or so make it to private practice. Is that really just between biglaw and doc review, with only a few who make it to smaller firms?

EDIT: To the anon poster above, I would appreciate a PM if you're willing.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Original Anon.

I obviously don't know your situation (or anything about you), but that is really surprising. Are you a bad interviewer or just incredibly awkward? Almost everyone I can think of in our top 5 (%even 10%) who have done mass mailings, off-campus interviews, job fairs, etc. have multiple CBs. I know a top 5% girl who got interviews with every firm she applied to, and another guy who just got a Cravath offer. Top 5% at IUB (or any T30 school) can't be that bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

But top 5% with no CBs just seems outrageous to me. I know that the people in the top 5% at WUSTL are absolutely killing it with callbacks and offers from some of the very best firms in the country.

Part of the difference between WUSTL and Illinois is probably career services ability to recruit top firms. The overall feel of UIUC OCI wasn't great. Plus, it helps that WUSTL doesn't have a delusional career services dean who spouts off that UIUC is a better school than UChicago for producing what firms want.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Part of the difference between WUSTL and Illinois is probably career services ability to recruit top firms. The overall feel of UIUC OCI wasn't great. Plus, it helps that WUSTL doesn't have a delusional career services dean who spouts off that UIUC is a better school than UChicago for producing what firms want.

Shit, its that bad. This is really sad.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chicago class sizes are not returning to pre-ITE levels any time soon and firms are afraid of a double-dip and are acting with an abundance of caution.

^From a friend of the family who is a biglaw partner.^

This sounds right as regards to the abundance of caution. The wild fluctuations on the stock market in the past week has come at a bad time for law firm hiring decisions.

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
minnbills wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Have you had OCI?

Eh maybe, I really don't know anything about IUB. But top 5% with no CBs just seems outrageous to me. I know that the people in the top 5% at WUSTL are absolutely killing it with callbacks and offers from some of the very best firms in the country. I'm more interested in hearing what is going on with people outside the top 10%, since that's where I am.

I mean, if you figure that a decent chunk of people in the top of our classes are clerking, transferring, or not doing big firm work, that means that a decent number of people outside the top 10% must be getting jobs in order to get to20% employed in NLJ firms after graduation (and even a few in solid non-NLJ firms that do OCI and all that jazz).

Every time is see that stat i get a little more jaded

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Oban wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I mean, if you figure that a decent chunk of people in the top of our classes are clerking, transferring, or not doing big firm work, that means that a decent number of people outside the top 10% must be getting jobs in order to get to20% employed in NLJ firms after graduation (and even a few in solid non-NLJ firms that do OCI and all that jazz).

Every time is see that stat i get a little more jaded

It is one of the few employment stats that is pretty accurate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

T25% DePaul - absolutely brutal turnout as far as interviewers go. Some top Chi firms are participating, but 5%-10% + LR is more or less mandatory. I've got two screeners this week that cut things off at 25%, and I'm waiting on one Mich firm that's interviewing off-site. Beyond that, it's a bunch of resume collects (Chi and Mich firms mostly). Mass mailed firms throughout the midwest (Chi, Milwaukee, Mich, StL, Indy, etc.) and it's been mostly silence with 3 dings.

Had a feeling it would be pretty tough, but it looks like those of us in the bottom ~90%ish of the class are gonna have our work cut out for us. (And given the general tenor of this thread, I'm not at all surprised that that's the case.)

Not sure how things are going at Loyola/Kent, but I would imagine it's fairly similar.

Good luck to all.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:FWIW - the mods try to watch these threads for alting/trolling/skyisfallingness. We're not everywhere, but we do try.

I looked into this thread - there is not a single anon post (to date) that seems suspicious.

Thanks, it's much appreciated. I hope I didn't hijack it or anything but as a midwestern 0L what I'm seeing in here is really disturbing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 pm

minnbills wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:FWIW - the mods try to watch these threads for alting/trolling/skyisfallingness. We're not everywhere, but we do try.

I looked into this thread - there is not a single anon post (to date) that seems suspicious.

Thanks, it's much appreciated. I hope I didn't hijack it or anything but as a midwestern 0L what I'm seeing in here is really disturbing.

Trust me, I'm pretty freaked out myself. I knew the legal market sucked, but I never imagined it was this bad, especially with a pre-select system. I have law school friends and family that seem positive I'll get biglaw with my credentials, but the dings keep happening. And I'm not alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:38 am

All of you UIUC Jones Day dings from the last page, were you bidding Chicago only or other offices? I'm at a worse school with worse class rank and haven't got my ding yet, which I wholly expect. Wondering if they are doing it by office or by school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:All of you UIUC Jones Day dings from the last page, were you bidding Chicago only or other offices? I'm at a worse school with worse class rank and haven't got my ding yet, which I wholly expect. Wondering if they are doing it by office or by school.

I was bidding Chicago only.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 am

Just for informational purposes, CB with Taft and I know that Bingham and Ice have started giving callbacks.

Return to “Legal Employment”