Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:28 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully Monday and Tuesday will yield CBs for many of us.


I hope so!

Have you had much luck yet?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 pm

blurbz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully Monday and Tuesday will yield CBs for many of us.


I hope so!

Have you had much luck yet?


Nothing yet from OCI (8 screeners, no dings, no CBs)...I got 1 CB from our NYC program and three more through mass mailing. I'm feeling OK but still extremely nervous. How about you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Has anybody from Iowa heard anything?

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby tamlyric » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Good luck, all! Hopefully this will be the week of callbacks. :D

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
blurbz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully Monday and Tuesday will yield CBs for many of us.


I hope so!

Have you had much luck yet?


Nothing yet from OCI (8 screeners, no dings, no CBs)...I got 1 CB from our NYC program and three more through mass mailing. I'm feeling OK but still extremely nervous. How about you?



Well congrats on the NYC callback. That ought to make you feel good, at least!

I had between 18 and 25 OCI screeners (Don't want to totally out my number...) and have gotten 2 callbacks and two rejections. Still waiting on most....

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:48 pm

blurbz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
blurbz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully Monday and Tuesday will yield CBs for many of us.


I hope so!

Have you had much luck yet?


Nothing yet from OCI (8 screeners, no dings, no CBs)...I got 1 CB from our NYC program and three more through mass mailing. I'm feeling OK but still extremely nervous. How about you?



Well congrats on the NYC callback. That ought to make you feel good, at least!

I had between 18 and 25 OCI screeners (Don't want to totally out my number...) and have gotten 2 callbacks and two rejections. Still waiting on most....


It's frustrating how slow things move in the Midwest. Our OCI is only about half over, still have 7-10 more screeners this and early next week.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:It's frustrating how slow things move in the Midwest. Our OCI is only about half over, still have 7-10 more screeners this and early next week.



Yeah, the midwest is mind-numbingly slow. TLS had me expecting a flurry of 24-hour responses but I guess that's the exception, not the rule. Like we've said: Hopefully we'll get some good movement on Monday!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 pm

My post doesn't really fit in but...

wustl-top50-ip-urm
That much info narrows it down to like 3 people at our school and technically outs me. I'm just trying to add some insight.

So my beef w/ OUR oci is that the top x% basically snag everything up. I'm not angry because I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't need to participate in oci (IP+urm = you interview your ass off in the summer). But I can see how this would frustrate others to no end. You watch the same 10 people interview at every firm because the school gives us enough bids to bid on everything. Can you imagine someone actually wanting that small firm in KC being pissed cause someone in the top 5% clicked bid just for kicks? I can.

But I had bid on what I thought I might want in OCI before-hand and my results were horrid. I don't know if they could just tell that I didn't actually want to be in StL (i've been here for all of my post high school education, but flee every chance i have). Or maybe at wustl you just get boned in oci if you aren't ranked high enough.

I got one screener w/ a dying firm. After a summer full of results that made me feel pretty good, st. louis made me feel like poop all over again.

I think that if you want something non-midwest out of a midwest school like ours you have to either CRUSH all things grade related or you have to straight hustle. hustle. hustle. hard. I recommend you plan to hustle.. even this late in the game. I would advise people to do this all summer every day next summer and use oci as a last resort.

To my classmates, I wish you the best at oci and let me know if there is a single thing that I can do to help you. I'm serious about that.

erry day i'm wustlin'

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My post doesn't really fit in but...

wustl-top50-ip-urm
That much info narrows it down to like 3 people at our school and technically outs me. I'm just trying to add some insight.

So my beef w/ OUR oci is that the top x% basically snag everything up. I'm not angry because I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't need to participate in oci (IP+urm = you interview your ass off in the summer). But I can see how this would frustrate others to no end. You watch the same 10 people interview at every firm because the school gives us enough bids to bid on everything. Can you imagine someone actually wanting that small firm in KC being pissed cause someone in the top 5% clicked bid just for kicks? I can.

But I had bid on what I thought I might want in OCI before-hand and my results were horrid. I don't know if they could just tell that I didn't actually want to be in StL (i've been here for all of my post high school education, but flee every chance i have). Or maybe at wustl you just get boned in oci if you aren't ranked high enough.

I got one screener w/ a dying firm. After a summer full of results that made me feel pretty good, st. louis made me feel like poop all over again.

I think that if you want something non-midwest out of a midwest school like ours you have to either CRUSH all things grade related or you have to straight hustle. hustle. hustle. hard. I recommend you plan to hustle.. even this late in the game. I would advise people to do this all summer every day next summer and use oci as a last resort.

To my classmates, I wish you the best at oci and let me know if there is a single thing that I can do to help you. I'm serious about that.

erry day i'm wustlin'


For serious, similar stats to you at WUSTTTL, only got 2 screeners at our EIW. I have 20+ outside of OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My post doesn't really fit in but...

wustl-top50-ip-urm
That much info narrows it down to like 3 people at our school and technically outs me. I'm just trying to add some insight.

So my beef w/ OUR oci is that the top x% basically snag everything up. I'm not angry because I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't need to participate in oci (IP+urm = you interview your ass off in the summer). But I can see how this would frustrate others to no end. You watch the same 10 people interview at every firm because the school gives us enough bids to bid on everything. Can you imagine someone actually wanting that small firm in KC being pissed cause someone in the top 5% clicked bid just for kicks? I can.

But I had bid on what I thought I might want in OCI before-hand and my results were horrid. I don't know if they could just tell that I didn't actually want to be in StL (i've been here for all of my post high school education, but flee every chance i have). Or maybe at wustl you just get boned in oci if you aren't ranked high enough.

I got one screener w/ a dying firm. After a summer full of results that made me feel pretty good, st. louis made me feel like poop all over again.

I think that if you want something non-midwest out of a midwest school like ours you have to either CRUSH all things grade related or you have to straight hustle. hustle. hustle. hard. I recommend you plan to hustle.. even this late in the game. I would advise people to do this all summer every day next summer and use oci as a last resort.

To my classmates, I wish you the best at oci and let me know if there is a single thing that I can do to help you. I'm serious about that.

erry day i'm wustlin'
Winston & Strawn outted everyone interviewing with them to each other by listing all of our addresses on an email they sent to us. I'd be willing to bet that the people on that list have at least 50% of the interviews with every "desirable" firm at our OCI... And I'm sure there are a few others who didn't bid on Winston or didn't get them for some reason who would push that percentage higher. FWIW, I only bid on places I'd be willing to/would like to work... and most midwestern firms seem to have figured out I have no ties just fine by looking at my resume :lol: It's an unfortunate side effect of the limited # of firms that come and the preselect system. I don't know how to fix it though... if K&E was forced to do all lotto interviews with 50% of the kids being median or below, they probably wouldn't even show - they'd just do a resume collect or something (why have professors not latched onto OCI bidding as the hardest-hitting tragedy of the commons example ever?) And you can't assign separate systems to firms based on prestige or desirableness or anything, cause they'd be pissed as hell. Obvious solution: get more firms to come :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My post doesn't really fit in but...

wustl-top50-ip-urm
That much info narrows it down to like 3 people at our school and technically outs me. I'm just trying to add some insight.

So my beef w/ OUR oci is that the top x% basically snag everything up. I'm not angry because I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't need to participate in oci (IP+urm = you interview your ass off in the summer). But I can see how this would frustrate others to no end. You watch the same 10 people interview at every firm because the school gives us enough bids to bid on everything. Can you imagine someone actually wanting that small firm in KC being pissed cause someone in the top 5% clicked bid just for kicks? I can.

But I had bid on what I thought I might want in OCI before-hand and my results were horrid. I don't know if they could just tell that I didn't actually want to be in StL (i've been here for all of my post high school education, but flee every chance i have). Or maybe at wustl you just get boned in oci if you aren't ranked high enough.

I got one screener w/ a dying firm. After a summer full of results that made me feel pretty good, st. louis made me feel like poop all over again.

I think that if you want something non-midwest out of a midwest school like ours you have to either CRUSH all things grade related or you have to straight hustle. hustle. hustle. hard. I recommend you plan to hustle.. even this late in the game. I would advise people to do this all summer every day next summer and use oci as a last resort.

To my classmates, I wish you the best at oci and let me know if there is a single thing that I can do to help you. I'm serious about that.

erry day i'm wustlin'


For serious, similar stats to you at WUSTTTL, only got 2 screeners at our EIW. I have 20+ outside of OCI.


i'm the OP of this quotation; and yes, i had the same type of luck outside OCI over summer. it's interesting to say the least. Maybe the midwest just doesn't love me anymore.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn outted everyone interviewing with them to each other by listing all of our addresses on an email they sent to us. I'd be willing to bet that the people on that list have at least 50% of the interviews with every "desirable" firm at our OCI... And I'm sure there are a few others who didn't bid on Winston or didn't get them for some reason who would push that percentage higher. FWIW, I only bid on places I'd be willing to/would like to work... and most midwestern firms seem to have figured out I have no ties just fine by looking at my resume :lol: It's an unfortunate side effect of the limited # of firms that come and the preselect system. I don't know how to fix it though... if K&E was forced to do all lotto interviews with 50% of the kids being median or below, they probably wouldn't even show - they'd just do a resume collect or something (why have professors not latched onto OCI bidding as the hardest-hitting tragedy of the commons example ever?) And you can't assign separate systems to firms based on prestige or desirableness or anything, cause they'd be pissed as hell. Obvious solution: get more firms to come :?



At Illinois we can see the interview schedules for firms we were selected for or were an alternate for. I can confirm that in a 100% pre-select system like ours, the same 15ish people had most of the interviews. It's great for the people in the top 10% and less great for people who would rely on the lottery to get their foot in the door. I don't know the reasons for switching to 100% preselect this year (we used to be partial lottery) but I'd be willing to guess that it's a perk for the firms: They now get to choose everyone they interview instead of choosing 75% and being forced to interview 25%. In this economy, I'd rather give the firms more control by letting them pre-select than forcing them to interview less desirable candidates. It seems that a firm might be more likely to come to a 100% preselect school than a combination preselect/lottery school if they were on the fence about making the trip. I support it.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn outted everyone interviewing with them to each other by listing all of our addresses on an email they sent to us. I'd be willing to bet that the people on that list have at least 50% of the interviews with every "desirable" firm at our OCI... And I'm sure there are a few others who didn't bid on Winston or didn't get them for some reason who would push that percentage higher. FWIW, I only bid on places I'd be willing to/would like to work... and most midwestern firms seem to have figured out I have no ties just fine by looking at my resume :lol: It's an unfortunate side effect of the limited # of firms that come and the preselect system. I don't know how to fix it though... if K&E was forced to do all lotto interviews with 50% of the kids being median or below, they probably wouldn't even show - they'd just do a resume collect or something (why have professors not latched onto OCI bidding as the hardest-hitting tragedy of the commons example ever?) And you can't assign separate systems to firms based on prestige or desirableness or anything, cause they'd be pissed as hell. Obvious solution: get more firms to come :?



At Illinois we can see the interview schedules for firms we were selected for or were an alternate for. I can confirm that in a 100% pre-select system like ours, the same 15ish people had most of the interviews. It's great for the people in the top 10% and less great for people who would rely on the lottery to get their foot in the door. I don't know the reasons for switching to 100% preselect this year (we used to be partial lottery) but I'd be willing to guess that it's a perk for the firms: They now get to choose everyone they interview instead of choosing 75% and being forced to interview 25%. In this economy, I'd rather give the firms more control by letting them pre-select than forcing them to interview less desirable candidates. It seems that a firm might be more likely to come to a 100% preselect school than a combination preselect/lottery school if they were on the fence about making the trip. I support it.


That is quite a bit of the reason you have more Chicago firms at OCI than we do I believe. Of course it also has to do with the fact that you have a much larger alumni base in Chicago, but I can't imagine firms not getting frustrated with our pure lottery system.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 am

Edit: not the time or place to debate this I suppose
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:45 am

Anybody heard from:

Barnes & Thornburg
Baker & Daniels
Vorys

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:10 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:It's frustrating how slow things move in the Midwest.

This is so, so true. I have to constantly remind myself of this. I have friends with multiple mass-mail screeners (and even CBs already) in places all over the country, and I haven't even done a single interview yet. It makes me feel really, really uneasy, but I think it is more of a function of 1) the Midwest being slow as hell and 2) I didn't apply to any off-campus interview programs or non-Midwest firms.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby fl0w » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:It's frustrating how slow things move in the Midwest.

This is so, so true. I have to constantly remind myself of this. I have friends with multiple mass-mail screeners (and even CBs already) in places all over the country, and I haven't even done a single interview yet. It makes me feel really, really uneasy, but I think it is more of a function of 1) the Midwest being slow as hell and 2) I didn't apply to any off-campus interview programs or non-Midwest firms.


yeah man if you aren't IP and you aren't minority, you've basically had almost no fairs to attend yet aside from wustl's off campus programs. This really is your first chance for some interviews so don't feel like you are behind the game. i was just talking to a bunch of our classmates last night about how it all works cause i've just been doing it all summer. IP and minority stuff is early. I'm sure you're super prepared and all that but if you ever wanna bounce ideas off someone on how to crush interviews i'm always willing to help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard from:

Barnes & Thornburg
Baker & Daniels
Vorys


Screeners next week at B&D and B&T.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby blurbz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 am

Here's to hoping that we all get good news today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Michigan firms (even those of you doing OCI)? Still nothing from Miller Canfield, Honigman, Clark Hill, Dykema, Warner, KRW, etc. from cold mails.


My SE Michigan firm has had a few callbacks off mass mailings, all very high-level candidates who we wanted to see before they returned to out of state schools. The bulk of our callbacks from Midwest schools will be in September. This is typical for the market IMO. Yes, the Midwest does move slower. Part of the reason for that, particularly in Michigan, is they're measuring commitment to the market. If you're going to jump at a Chicago offer before a Michigan firm gets you on callback, they're probably OK with that, because they really want people who want to be here ahead of their other options.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby TTH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard from:

Vorys


Vorys has started making calls. I don't know if they've finished yet.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Nothing yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

UIUC top 10%

Four snail-mail dings today:

Vedder Price
McGuireWoods
Dykema
Reed Smith

All Chicago offices.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UIUC top 10%

Four snail-mail dings today:

Vedder Pice
McGuireWoods
Dykema
Reed Smith

All Chicago offices.


midwest t30 10% transfer to t14, received snail mail dings from vedder and mcguirewoods over the weekend as well. *sigh*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Jones Day Chicago ding- ND/10%/LR




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.