Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Anyone heard any news at all from Thompson Coburn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:05 pm

anybody hear anything from clark hill?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is strange to me though. Top 20% + LR at WUSTL fares pretty well for NLJ jobs. Of course, I know a person or two who didn't get a job with those creds last year, and it certainly isn't safe by any stretch, but I'd say the average person around the 20%ile got a market paying SA job somewhere.
So, I read this and I wanted to clear up the impression this post gives that, overall, things are pretty solid at Wash U for people in the top 20%. They aren't. I struck out at OCI last year (when I was lower in the class, but still in the top 10%). I personally know three other students on law review who had better grades than I did last August who received no offers from any of the firms they interviewed with -- and these were people who applied widely. My personality may not have fit with what OCI interviewers expect, but that is not the case with these others I know. To clarify, we're talking about four students, top 10% + LR (at least one was top 5%), and zero job offers. Outside of last year's law review grade-ons, I can think of at least three other students (off the top of my head) in the top 20% of the class who did not get a market-paying summer gig last year despite expending effort to do so. Below that, I can't think of anybody I know who got a "market paying SA job somewhere," although it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them exist. Realistically, I think it's about the top 5th percentile where one can almost count on a market-paying job, and no deeper than the top 10th percentile where the "average" student got a market-paying job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This is strange to me though. Top 20% + LR at WUSTL fares pretty well for NLJ jobs. Of course, I know a person or two who didn't get a job with those creds last year, and it certainly isn't safe by any stretch, but I'd say the average person around the 20%ile got a market paying SA job somewhere.
So, I read this and I wanted to clear up the impression this post gives that, overall, things are pretty solid at Wash U for people in the top 20%. They aren't. I struck out at OCI last year (when I was lower in the class, but still in the top 10%). I personally know three other students on law review who had better grades than I did last August who received no offers from any of the firms they interviewed with -- and these were people who applied widely. My personality may not have fit with what OCI interviewers expect, but that is not the case with these others I know. To clarify, we're talking about four students, top 10% + LR (at least one was top 5%), and zero job offers. Outside of last year's law review grade-ons, I can think of at least three other students (off the top of my head) in the top 20% of the class who did not get a market-paying summer gig last year despite expending effort to do so. Below that, I can't think of anybody I know who got a "market paying SA job somewhere," although it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them exist. Realistically, I think it's about the top 5th percentile where one can almost count on a market-paying job, and no deeper than the top 10th percentile where the "average" student got a market-paying job.
I assume the truth is somewhere between these two perspectives, but either way it really lends support to the idea of taking a significant scholarship lower down the food chain over WUSTL because what you get at WUSTL is pretty stiff competition in classes...in line with Cornell, GULC, UT, Vandy, etc etc, but much worse job prospects. Does not compute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard any news at all from Thompson Coburn?
CB invite for their Chi office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Recently?
Yes. This past week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 pm

school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:school?
seconded

any uiuc hear from donohue brown?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LR write-on with the same grades as someone who transferred out to NW. NW transfer had multiple job offers. Applied far and wide as well, kept up applications through the year. Settled for an unpaid summer gig, and things aren't looking good so far for post-grad. I'm curious as to what types of jobs the four of you found for the summer. I'm also curious as to what help the CSO provided, and what your experiences were with them.

The person who posted below you nailed it. Competing against the same caliber of students at other schools who have nearly twice as good job prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seconded

I got a cb offer last week 2 days after my screener. Cb next friday

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
seconded

I got a cb offer last week 2 days after my screener. Cb next friday
ty. GL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 pm

CB call today from UIUC 3L early OCI firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Polsinelli KC offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 am

Has anyone received an offer from Edwards Wildman's Chicago office?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

Anyone gotten a Taft indy offer yet?

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am

[/quote] So, I read this and I wanted to clear up the impression this post gives that, overall, things are pretty solid at Wash U for people in the top 20%. They aren't. I struck out at OCI last year (when I was lower in the class, but still in the top 10%). I personally know three other students on law review who had better grades than I did last August who received no offers from any of the firms they interviewed with -- and these were people who applied widely. My personality may not have fit with what OCI interviewers expect, but that is not the case with these others I know. To clarify, we're talking about four students, top 10% + LR (at least one was top 5%), and zero job offers. Outside of last year's law review grade-ons, I can think of at least three other students (off the top of my head) in the top 20% of the class who did not get a market-paying summer gig last year despite expending effort to do so. Below that, I can't think of anybody I know who got a "market paying SA job somewhere," although it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them exist. Realistically, I think it's about the top 5th percentile where one can almost count on a market-paying job, and no deeper than the top 10th percentile where the "average" student got a market-paying job.[/quote]

This does not surprise me too much. You get a very jaded version of the market on this site.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:00 am

It's mostly true though. I'm a 3L at WUSTL I'm on a secondary journal, but I know some law review kids, one of whom is very smart and in the top 10 percent, he struck out at market paying firm jobs and settled for a public interest job over the summer that will not hire him after graduation. I my self and others got paying jobs for this past summer but those jobs were just for the summer and now we have to start all over again.

Last year when I joined my journal, nearly the entire editorial board, including the editor in chief were still looking for jobs. So much for a journal being a resume boost, lol. To my knowledge most of them graduated with nothing, one of them must have gotten an offer for free tuition at another WUSTL grad school, like the Olin B-School because I've seen em hanging out around there. Moat Debt is better than being unemployed I guess.

Anyway at the end of the day law school isn't the best option if you want dat skrilla, but with IBR you can get a decent middle class job and make minimum payments for life, and live better than the majority of Americans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer from Edwards Wildman's Chicago office?
idk. I just had my callback there this week. They said they meet on Wednesdays.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Polsinelli KC offer.
Stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer from Edwards Wildman's Chicago office?
idk. I just had my callback there this week. They said they meet on Wednesdays.

What school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 pm

One of my good friends received an offer this week for their KC office.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 am

booyah! Dream offer came today. Still, I'm a failure....if I listen to myself. Shout out to TLS!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”