Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawdooder wrote:This thread is so depressing. DIdn't you initially all know those were losing bets?
At this point, I wish I had taken the debt at a T14 in exchange for the full ride I received. I still have one glimmer of hope, but if not, law school and all my effort 1L year were a waste of time.

which t14?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawdooder wrote:This thread is so depressing. DIdn't you initially all know those were losing bets?
At this point, I wish I had taken the debt at a T14 in exchange for the full ride I received. I still have one glimmer of hope, but if not, law school and all my effort 1L year were a waste of time.
What school are you at? WUSTL or Iowa or ____?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What school are you at? WUSTL or Iowa or ____?
Neither of those.

With my 1L grades, I probably would've been in at CCN.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:34 pm

My Xbox gamer score went from 34,000 to 56,000 during my 1L year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:41 pm

This is not a good place for a 1L at WUSTL to be hanging out :-/

Although, it does give me pretty good motivation to hit the books some more tonight so I can get top 5% and mayyybe not strike out at OCI next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is not a good place for a 1L at WUSTL to be hanging out :-/

Although, it does give me pretty good motivation to hit the books some more tonight so I can get top 5% and mayyybe not strike out at OCI next year.
Protip: I can say with ~90% certainty that what you're doing right now will not, I repeat NOT, determine whether you are top 5%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:09 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is not a good place for a 1L at WUSTL to be hanging out :-/

Protip: I can say with ~90% certainty that what you're doing right now will not, I repeat NOT, determine whether you are top 5%.
There's a fair chance you're right. Fortunately, I'm not reading cases, briefing, or working on my LP memo. I'm using my torts outline from the first 3 weeks, in addition to the rough knowledge I've gleaned from the E&E based on what my syllabus says we'll be covering, to work through a practice test and try to solidify the LEEWS approach. There's a decent chance this practice won't end up making a difference on my grade, but I don't think that chance is 90%.

"hit the books" was meant idiomatically. I try to spend no more than half an hour a day familiarizing myself with the cases we'll be covering in class.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

There's a fair chance you're right. Fortunately, I'm not reading cases, briefing, or working on my LP memo. I'm using my torts outline from the first 3 weeks, in addition to the rough knowledge I've gleaned from the E&E based on what my syllabus says we'll be covering, to work through a practice test and try to solidify the LEEWS approach. There's a decent chance this practice won't end up making a difference on my grade, but I don't think that chance is 90%.

"hit the books" was meant idiomatically. I try to spend no more than half an hour a day familiarizing myself with the cases we'll be covering in class.
All well and fine, but you've still started too early IMO - i.e. you're risking burning out. second week of October is sufficiently early for all of those things. You've either got 2/3 of mental horsepower, fairly high WPM, and luck on your side or you don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 am

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

All well and fine, but you've still started too early IMO - i.e. you're risking burning out. second week of October is sufficiently early for all of those things. You've either got 2/3 of mental horsepower, fairly high WPM, and luck on your side or you don't.
While I certainly defer to your judgement, as I'm sure you can speak from experience regarding when one should begin taking practice tests, I don't personally feel that going over one or two practice tests a week will cause me to burn out. Especially given the small amount of time I'm devoting to the traditional activities. There's only so much football to be watched per week, even with sunday ticket :D
/thread.derail

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

While I certainly defer to your judgement, as I'm sure you can speak from experience regarding when one should begin taking practice tests, I don't personally feel that going over one or two practice tests a week will cause me to burn out. Especially given the small amount of time I'm devoting to the traditional activities. There's only so much football to be watched per week, even with sunday ticket :D
/thread.derail
Well as long as you're not doing much. Probably still more beneficial to do it once you have multiple types of issues to spot, especially since professors' exams are often vastly different from one another (the more similar the better), but if you've got the free time, knock yourself out :wink:

Note that all of this is one person's view. I'm sure others have different feelings on the matter, I just know what worked well for me

/hijack, back to midwestern employment misery.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 am

Practice tests? How is that even possible? We've been in school three weeks. You barely understand intentional torts at this point.

Also, while 1Ls are more than welcome to read this thread, let's not turn it into a discussion of study habits. There is an entire forum for that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 am

I'm innocent of any hijacking. stratocophic started it.

But since you asked, I find tort doctrine to be relatively straightforward and fairly easily learned from the CALI lessons and E&E. I'll need my profs to fill in the blanks with their specific preferences, but I feel ok dealing with the basics on a practice test. Especially when model answers are available.

/hijack for real

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm innocent of any hijacking. stratocophic started it.

But since you asked, I find tort doctrine to be relatively straightforward and fairly easily learned from the CALI lessons and E&E. I'll need my profs to fill in the blanks with their specific preferences, but I feel ok dealing with the basics on a practice test. Especially when model answers are available.

/hijack for real

I had a callback Thursday at my top choice firm. They said they'd let me know end of this week/beginning of next week. This is gonna be the longest week of my life. I really need all this to be over so that I can get back to work on school. i don't even know what's going on in my classes right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 am

TTH wrote:

/hijack for real

I had a callback Thursday at my top choice firm. They said they'd let me know end of this week/beginning of next week. This is gonna be the longest week of my life. I really need all this to be over so that I can get back to work on school. i don't even know what's going on in my classes right now.
What's lulzy is that timescale is probably nowhere nearbcorrelated to the time you will actually hear.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:

/hijack for real

What's lulzy is that timescale is probably nowhere nearbcorrelated to the time you will actually hear.
Yeah, but for my sanity's sake, I'm hoping they'll get back to me this week. If I could cancel the rest of my interviews, that would be lovely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 am

TTH wrote:

/hijack for real

Same boat, likely different firm. Which state are you referencing?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:

/hijack for real

Same boat, likely different firm. Which state are you referencing?
O-hi-a

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wh3931110

New

Post by wh3931110 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are some people who make it here in the midwest at lesser schools. Sadly, it's very, very few.

I recently hit the law school lottery. I'm at a tier 3 school mostly due to the fact that I got a full ride. With a lot of hard work and a bit of luck I did very, very well as a 1L. As such, I recently was offered and accepted a SA position with a V15 firm. Sadly, many of the people, even half of our TOP 5%, will come away from OCI without an offer.

Honestly, even knowing that I excel at law school learning/exams I would NOT make the decision to go to my school again. Why? Because the amount of luck it took me to end up where I am in my class would not likely happen again, and if it didn't, I would be coming out of this season without an offer and even if I received one, it would pay nowhere near the salary I (stupidly) expected coming in to law school.

I will reap the benefits of having no debt and (hopefully) a great job when I graduate, but it was one helluva gamble now that I look back. Because of this, my best advice would be not to come to a school lower ranked school even if you are positive you can do very well and go for cheap. There are just too many intangible factors affecting rankings that you can't prepare for, and it's not even always the "smartest" people who are at the top.
I have no idea what the point of this post is in this thread, which is entitled Midwest T25, not share your TTT story. TLS is a helpful resource, but not every thread needs to be sidetracked away from its original purpose towards a lecture... Your post offers nothing from an OCI/CB/Screener/Mass-mail purpose, nor does it even concern a T25 midwestern school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:54 pm

You know in football, if you're running a slant against a zone defense, there are two "windows" to throw to the receiver. You can throw right when he comes off the line as the defenders drop into their underneath zones. Or you can wait another second or two until a receiver clears the underneath zones and is in the area between them and the deep zones. If you throw in the middle of those two times, you're throwing right at the defender who may intercept the ball, which is bad.

I wonder if OCI is like that.

I had screeners a month ago. More than two weeks later, I hadn't heard from anyone. This I assumed to be bad news, and that was confirmed to some extent when I received three rejection letters. However, another two weeks has now passed and I haven't gotten any more rejections. I still have a handful of firms to hear from.

I'm holding out hope there is a "second window" opportunity, in which case going longer without hearing from firms may suddenly be a good thing. As firms' first choices make their decisions and the people with multiple callbacks narrow down to one acceptance, it stands to reason there may be more rounds of callbacks. So I've gone from thinking, "I want to hear back from all of these firms within a week or two" to "I don't want to hear back from any of these firms for another week or two."

Logical thinking or self-delusion? Just sort of musing...the Midwest (especially secondary markets) seems to move reaalllllly slowly compared to the big markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You know in football, if you're running a slant against a zone defense, there are two "windows" to throw to the receiver. You can throw right when he comes off the line as the defenders drop into their underneath zones. Or you can wait another second or two until a receiver clears the underneath zones and is in the area between them and the deep zones. If you throw in the middle of those two times, you're throwing right at the defender who may intercept the ball, which is bad.

I had screeners a month ago. More than two weeks later, I hadn't heard from anyone. This I assumed to be bad news, and that was confirmed to some extent when I received three rejection letters. However, another two weeks has now passed and I haven't gotten any more rejections. I still have a handful of firms to hear from.

I'm holding out hope there is a "second window" opportunity, in which case going longer without hearing from firms may suddenly be a good thing. As firms' first choices make their decisions and the people with multiple callbacks narrow down to one acceptance, it stands to reason there may be more rounds of callbacks. So I've gone from thinking, "I want to hear back from all of these firms within a week or two" to "I don't want to hear back from any of these firms for another week or two."

Logical thinking or self-delusion? Just sort of musing...the Midwest (especially secondary markets) seems to move reaalllllly slowly compared to the big markets.
As a prior defensive lineman, I like your analogy and hope you're reasoning is confirmed. It seems as if, since you're thinking the QB would be holding the ball a bit longer in some situations, that the quick release has me dinged automatically at half my firms. However, with good downfield coverage, it seems as if other options must come available, because the first targets are taken. But, while the QB is scanning the field, I manage to chop down the O-lineman's hands and spin inside, and sack the QB by means of a follow-up. Then I am able to get some face time with the quarterback and shake his hand as I pull him off the turf.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You know in football, if you're running a slant against a zone defense, there are two "windows" to throw to the receiver. You can throw right when he comes off the line as the defenders drop into their underneath zones. Or you can wait another second or two until a receiver clears the underneath zones and is in the area between them and the deep zones. If you throw in the middle of those two times, you're throwing right at the defender who may intercept the ball, which is bad.

As a prior defensive lineman, I like your analogy and hope you're reasoning is confirmed. It seems as if, since you're thinking the QB would be holding the ball a bit longer in some situations, that the quick release has me dinged automatically at half my firms. However, with good downfield coverage, it seems as if other options must come available, because the first targets are taken. But, while the QB is scanning the field, I manage to chop down the O-lineman's hands and spin inside, and sack the QB by means of a follow-up. Then I am able to get some face time with the quarterback and shake his hand as I pull him off the turf.
Don't forget the part where you seduce the cheerleader. Except the cheerleader is a 55 year-old partner...wearing a cheerleader outfit.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm

yeah i definitely wasn't under any delusions about washU's placement before deciding to come here. placement here just isn't as good as people would like to believe....
but i still think there is a benefit to having alumni who are all over the country.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a prior defensive lineman, I like your analogy and hope you're reasoning is confirmed. It seems as if, since you're thinking the QB would be holding the ball a bit longer in some situations, that the quick release has me dinged automatically at half my firms. However, with good downfield coverage, it seems as if other options must come available, because the first targets are taken. But, while the QB is scanning the field, I manage to chop down the O-lineman's hands and spin inside, and sack the QB by means of a follow-up. Then I am able to get some face time with the quarterback and shake his hand as I pull him off the turf.
Let's just hope Romo isn't at quarterback.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't forget the part where you seduce the cheerleader. Except the cheerleader is a 55 year-old partner...wearing a cheerleader outfit.
--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”