Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm

This continues to be TLS's most depressing thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

flcath wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
flcath wrote:
Mavraides87 wrote:flcath, are you contemplating med school?

not flaming, wouldn't you be old for such an endeavor?
Bro, that question has been raised in my mind (and answered differently each time) constantly over the past year and half.

I had pretty much settled on staying in law if I got BL, doing a post-bacc to apply to MS if not.

This could end up being a blessing in disguise.
Med schools will not care whether or not you finished law school. Arguably, in fact, you'd be able to make a better pitch to them if you didn't finish law school because dropping out of a top tier LS w/ good grades to re-focus on medicine would obviously be a pretty compelling demo of your real interest in medicine.

So if you're seriously thinking about transitioning to medicine at this sage, don't let the idea that you need to finish law school first derail your consideration. If you've basically made the decision to attend med school already (though it sounds like you haven't yet) your best course of action would be to drop out of law school now and start your med school application prep w/ some serious volunteering at a clinic, maybe do some basic research in a lab as an RA, pick up any needed coursework, study for and take/retake the MCAT, etc. Even if you've done all this before, you'll need to do some of it again. After 2-3 years of this you should be in good shape. Certainly better than sticking it out in LS and spending your life/$ working toward a career you know you'll leave.
(a) This plan takes guts I don't have.
(b) I'm not 100% convinced it's the right course of action. The pre-med advisor at ND (and ND is really good at putting their UGs into med school) told me she thinks it makes me an 'interesting' applicant. I keep forgetting how impressed non-law people are with a Notre Dame JD. (BAM: lay prestige is worth something.)
(c) This will create a presumption that I failed out, or at least sucked at law school, which is not the case at all.

I'm gonna try to take science classes (I'm allowed one non-law course per term) my last three semesters of law school, do some of the pre-med application-building shit, and put together a limited (2-3 schools) application during my 3L year... it'd be sick if I could get in w/o doing a post-bacc, as it'd save me 2+ years and prolly $50K.
I'm at WUSTl and I am considering doing a master of accounting program after law school. WUSTL's macc program doesn't require a gmat score if you are already a grad student at wustl. Top 15-20%, secondary journal 3L.

The problem is that wustl has no lay man prestige :( I wish i went to ND..... ND also has a very solid macc program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Snail mail ding from Dinsmore a couple of days ago. CB Sep 28th.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Snail mail ding from Dinsmore a couple of days ago. CB Sep 28th.
Sorry!

I had been meaning to post that I withdrew from Dinsmore after getting another offer and was hoping that you'd get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:49 pm

If you have a undergrad biz degree and a JD from WUSTL/other T20....how hard do you think it would be to go into consulting/I-banking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a undergrad biz degree and a JD from WUSTL/other T20....how hard do you think it would be to go into consulting/I-banking?
They'd have to believe you're dedicated to the field and won't fly away to the first law job offer you get. Other than that, it's not really easy for anyone to get into the field, but I think you'd have a decent chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you have a undergrad biz degree and a JD from WUSTL/other T20....how hard do you think it would be to go into consulting/I-banking?
They'd have to believe you're dedicated to the field and won't fly away to the first law job offer you get. Other than that, it's not really easy for anyone to get into the field, but I think you'd have a decent chance.

Harder than it would be if you just went into consulting/I-banking right after undergrad. A JD from any school (minus HYS/CC?) would lessen the likelihood these firms would hire you. Your chances would be increased if you have ties to a specific firm or have related and compelling WE. I went to WUSTL undergrad, and the b-school places quite well into several of the big consulting firms (Deloitte especially, followed by McKinsey), and reasonably well into I-banking, so try to work with the b-school's career center and attend some of the events these firms hold on campus.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at WUSTl and I am considering doing a master of accounting program after law school. WUSTL's macc program doesn't require a gmat score if you are already a grad student at wustl. Top 15-20%, secondary journal 3L.

The problem is that wustl has no lay man prestige :( I wish i went to ND..... ND also has a very solid macc program.
I've always thought WUSTL is really prestigious, mainly b/c its med school is one of the HYS of med schools (along w/ JHU and H).

I've already been rejected from one master's program at ND ("global health"... basically ND's program to help kids get into med school... embarrassing) as a 1L, so I personally don't hold out hope of ND letting me into any program other than law. I was a 172/3.1 kid, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:09 am

flcath wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at WUSTl and I am considering doing a master of accounting program after law school. WUSTL's macc program doesn't require a gmat score if you are already a grad student at wustl. Top 15-20%, secondary journal 3L.

I've always thought WUSTL is really prestigious, mainly b/c its med school is one of the HYS of med schools (along w/ JHU and H).

I've already been rejected from one master's program at ND ("global health"... basically ND's program to help kids get into med school... embarrassing) as a 1L, so I personally don't hold out hope of ND letting me into any program other than law. I was a 172/3.1 kid, though.
Fuck you must be kicking yourself for not ED to NW or UVA.....
I know kids that transferred to wustl over schools like Georgetown and other lower T14s... they don't have a job and are on suicide watch............

You can always apply to good carribbean schools like AUA and Ross. I have a friend down there. The match rate for us residencies is very high at the top carribbean schools.. about 90%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote: I know kids that transferred to wustl over schools like Georgetown and other lower T14s... they don't have a job and are on suicide watch............
lol who does this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
It is really hard. I actually went to the Ugrad/MBA career fair event in the beginning of my 2nd year. Top public school major in Econ/Finance, top 20% + secondary journal at wustl. Everyone I spoke to was shocked that I was interested in something other than law. They see JD=lawyer not JD= can do anything. I think it is similar to a MD going to a career fair and trying to get a job as an ibanker or consultant.. That is a hard burden that you have to overcome... it can be compared to overcoming the BJR when you are arguing waste. lol

However with that said, might as well try it.. the job market for law is beyond terrible. A 5% chance is better than nothing....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since there seems to be several people on here who did CBs with Hall Render, did they give any of you a real timeline of hearing back?
I was told mid October and they don't do rolling offers.
?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 am

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I know kids that transferred to wustl over schools like Georgetown and other lower T14s... they don't have a job and are on suicide watch............
lol who does this
No one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It is really hard. I actually went to the Ugrad/MBA career fair event in the beginning of my 2nd year. Top public school major in Econ/Finance, top 20% + secondary journal at wustl. Everyone I spoke to was shocked that I was interested in something other than law. They see JD=lawyer not JD= can do anything. I think it is similar to a MD going to a career fair and trying to get a job as an ibanker or consultant.. That is a hard burden that you have to overcome... it can be compared to overcoming the BJR when you are arguing waste. lol

However with that said, might as well try it.. the job market for law is beyond terrible. A 5% chance is better than nothing....
Also, if you pursue this path, might as well forget about "secondary journal." No consluting firm will give two shits that you were on the law school newspaper, as they will see it.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

[face palm]

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

WUSTL/UIUC: any offers/rejections from Thompson Coburn?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

[face palm]

Haha really?? I heard from a friend that an alumnus at our T-20 said she didnt get a big law job right out the gate b/c of grades, however she was able to swing a nice consulting gig at Goldman in NYC and was making more $$ than all her big law friends a couple of years later. Jeez have things really changed now to the point that all of us are essentially stuck into doing only law with a JD now...even though you might also have an undergrad biz degree as well?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 am

I don't think much has changed, A Law Degree is for practicing law, not going into banking. Maybe there was a small exception during the bubble economy, but it was an exception.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Anyone else miss Spivey? I do, but I text the poor guy every weekend so I don;t miss him that much.

lawdooder

New

Post by lawdooder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:05 pm

was spivey fired?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:19 pm

lawdooder wrote:was spivey fired?
Offered higher position at Colorado

Indianaman

New

Post by Indianaman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ice Miller CB; anyone know anything about this firm? Good, bad?
How did you hear?
phone. 50% no-offer wtf?

What does "phone" mean? Like, did you call Ice Miller and ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:04 pm

quadsixm wrote:
lawdooder wrote:was spivey fired?
Offered higher position at Colorado

I talked to one of the assistant deans at the law school and they told me Spivey was fired.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else miss Spivey? I do, but I text the poor guy every weekend so I don;t miss him that much.
+1, I miss him. I keep in contact with him regularly as well, but I miss him for the school's sake. I really think he knew what he was doing with outreach for the CSO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”