Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Midwest T25s OCI discussion/results

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UIUC students... how do you feel like this year compares to last? From what I've heard here at WUSTL, things are similar to last year for our 2Ls, maybe even better than last year. Do you think things are worse at UIUC? Kind of sounds like it, based on this thread. Possible that the school's scandal has had any impact?

Hard to say....A lot of what we're seeing on here is top 20% + LR...the majority of the jobs at Illinois last year went to top 10% students. So we might have a slightly different cross-section of the class on TLS that makes it look worse than it was last year. Of course, it's still bad.
This is strange to me though. Top 20% + LR at WUSTL fares pretty well for NLJ jobs. Of course, I know a person or two who didn't get a job with those creds last year, and it certainly isn't safe by any stretch, but I'd say the average person around the 20%ile got a market paying SA job somewhere. Yet our schools have almost identical job stats year after year.

I suppose you're right though... pretty small sample and who knows what the cross-section is like. It'll be interesting to see what its like when the real numbers come out in a few years. Of course, by that point, I doubt we're still dicking around on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UIUC students... how do you feel like this year compares to last? From what I've heard here at WUSTL, things are similar to last year for our 2Ls, maybe even better than last year. Do you think things are worse at UIUC? Kind of sounds like it, based on this thread. Possible that the school's scandal has had any impact?

Hard to say....A lot of what we're seeing on here is top 20% + LR...the majority of the jobs at Illinois last year went to top 10% students. So we might have a slightly different cross-section of the class on TLS that makes it look worse than it was last year. Of course, it's still bad.
This is strange to me though. Top 20% + LR at WUSTL fares pretty well for NLJ jobs. Of course, I know a person or two who didn't get a job with those creds last year, and it certainly isn't safe by any stretch, but I'd say the average person around the 20%ile got a market paying SA job somewhere. Yet our schools have almost identical job stats year after year.

I suppose you're right though... pretty small sample and who knows what the cross-section is like. It'll be interesting to see what its like when the real numbers come out in a few years. Of course, by that point, I doubt we're still dicking around on TLS.

Small sample. I was at UIUC's OCI last year and top 20% + LR was almost a guranteed vault firm offer. I even know of a few top 25% non-LR, non-IP, non-minority who got vault 50 offers. Of course, there were a few top 20%, even top 5% of who got nothing, but thats just people who cant hold a 20 minute conversation.

Its too early too tell anything too. and liked mentioned before, very small sample size.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Small sample. I was at UIUC's OCI last year and top 20% + LR was almost a guranteed vault firm offer. I even know of a few top 25% non-LR, non-IP, non-minority who got vault 50 offers. Of course, there were a few top 20%, even top 5% of who got nothing, but thats just people who cant hold a 20 minute conversation.

Its too early too tell anything too. and liked mentioned before, very small sample size.
well to me that's proof that it IS worse at uiuc this year. Because most poeple I've talked to, even those not on TLS, are struggling mightily. Again, its impossible to know how everyone is doing and I'm sure there's a number of people with 5+ cb's. I just don't know them or heard of them (outside 2 off the top of my head).

And as being one of those top 20% with LR having a hard time, it is not because I can't hold a 20 minute conversation. Same for a lot of my friends in similar positions. Oh well, life goes on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 am

what is going on with illinois........

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Has anyone gotten a callback from Bricker & Eckler?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is going on with illinois........
I think chi market is a mess and Illinois drop didn't help things. Also the rankings strategy was heavily focused on large schollys for kids outside of Midwest. I think this made top performers unattractive to firms at Illinois oci but take my opinion worth a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Husch Blackwell KC offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think chi market is a mess and Illinois drop didn't help things. Also the rankings strategy was heavily focused on large schollys for kids outside of Midwest. I think this made top performers unattractive to firms at Illinois oci but take my opinion worth a grain of salt.
Having gone through OCI at Illinois, employers don't give a rip about ranking. A lot of the Chicago firms have had good success with Illinois students and will continue to recruit here. That being said, OCI still sucks just because of the Chicago market and class sizes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Having gone through OCI at Illinois, employers don't give a rip about ranking. A lot of the Chicago firms have had good success with Illinois students and will continue to recruit here. That being said, OCI still sucks just because of the Chicago market and class sizes.
Just said it didn't help, I don't think the rankings thing was a big deal. I think chi market and that about half of the top 20% isn't from the midwest is more of the issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Barnes & Thornburg CB, 3L, T20

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Barnes & Thornburg CB, 3L, T20
Tax?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:37 pm

do top 10% at illinois get work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Any offers from St. Louis firms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do top 10% at illinois get work?
Depends on what you mean by work. And like everything else it depends, but its not like higher ranked places where you essentially have a guarantee, your competitive for almost anything in chi but not guaranteed anything

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
agreed. chicago firms have sporadic, small summer classes [which tbh i would prefer re: winston drama recently]. if someone was suggesting that top performing students from out-of-town can't do well, that's entirely untrue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do top 10% at illinois get work?

grades get you in the door. they don't get you a job. you could be top 5%, LR, but socially inept and you'd be lucky to find a decent externship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just said it didn't help, I don't think the rankings thing was a big deal. I think chi market and that about half of the top 20% isn't from the midwest is more of the issue.
i disagree. i'm from the east coast and i've been doing well through OCI. all you need is an answer to the "why chicago" question. if you have an answer, be emphatic. if you don't, then make something up or say the reason you came to uiuc is for the strong chicago relationship. if they don't ask you, bring it up yourself. they want reassurance you aren't a flight risk, not anything more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tax?
OP here. I am totally outing myself, but I don't care! 45 minutes after my call back, I got a phone call from two of the partners informing me that they are making me an offer to join after graduation in May!!!! Talk about fast turn around!!!

Not tax - patent prosecution

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tax?
OP here. I am totally outing myself, but I don't care! 45 minutes after my call back, I got a phone call from two of the partners informing me that they are making me an offer to join after graduation in May!!!! Talk about fast turn around!!!

So.... IP SECURE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:44 pm

clone22 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tax?

So.... IP SECURE?
haha yes! I got another offer yesterday for a different firm. I had no expectations going into my last year of law school because I heard of how terrible 3L recruiting. However, with 8 CBs (2 offers, 0 rejections so far), I think it safe to say that IP SECURE is still a thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Husch Blackwell KC offer.
Congrats! How did you receive the offer, via phone? How long did you wait after the CB? Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! How did you receive the offer, via phone? How long did you wait after the CB? Thanks.
Via phone call. Interview on a Thursday, offer the following Tuesday. To my knowledge, which admittedly is limited, they are still extending offers though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Is there anyone in this thread who applied to Cahill in NYC? If you're top 10% at one of the large regional schools, you'll likely get a callback if you mass mail them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Via phone call. Interview on a Thursday, offer the following Tuesday. To my knowledge, which admittedly is limited, they are still extending offers though.
Husch KC told me that they had 10 summer slots this year. Half have been filled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Any Bryan Cave St. Louis post-CB news? Heard that dings are going out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”