Pending USAO Clearance Concern Regarding Speeding Ticket

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thenextbigman86

Pending USAO Clearance Concern Regarding Speeding Ticket

Postby thenextbigman86 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello,

In April I interviewed for an internship this fall with the USAO in Massachusetts. I got the job. In mid-May I sent in my security clearance for the position, (which is the same as the summer positions go through if that helps).

On the first week of June I got a $250 speeding ticket for speeding, though there were mitigating circumstances (namely, I was driving along at the speed limit, then a truck came up fast behind me and flashed his lights and tailgated me. I sped up a a bit to get clear of the cars on my right so I could get over and let him past, then he sped up and tailgated me again so I sped up more to get out of his way ASAP and while I was doing this I got pulled over and got the speeding ticket.)

I reported this to my HR person at USAO and added it to my clearance. Aside from this, I have no other criminal offences, no drug use or anything, and no other moving violations. My concern is that this will affect my clearance, which would be a real bummer. I wrote a letter of explanation explaining what happened with the ticket, took responsibility for getting caught up in the moment and letting my fear of the truck overcome my judgement temporarily, but am still concerned.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've heard that speeding tickets aren't a huge deal, and my circumstances are different than just joyriding, but my main concern is that it happened during a clearance process.

Any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated.

splitmuch

Re: Pending USAO Clearance Concern Regarding Speeding Ticket

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm

thenextbigman86 wrote:Hello,

In April I interviewed for an internship this fall with the USAO in Massachusetts. I got the job. In mid-May I sent in my security clearance for the position, (which is the same as the summer positions go through if that helps).

On the first week of June I got a $250 speeding ticket for speeding, though there were mitigating circumstances (namely, I was driving along at the speed limit, then a truck came up fast behind me and flashed his lights and tailgated me. I sped up a a bit to get clear of the cars on my right so I could get over and let him past, then he sped up and tailgated me again so I sped up more to get out of his way ASAP and while I was doing this I got pulled over and got the speeding ticket.)

I reported this to my HR person at USAO and added it to my clearance. Aside from this, I have no other criminal offences, no drug use or anything, and no other moving violations. My concern is that this will affect my clearance, which would be a real bummer. I wrote a letter of explanation explaining what happened with the ticket, took responsibility for getting caught up in the moment and letting my fear of the truck overcome my judgement temporarily, but am still concerned.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've heard that speeding tickets aren't a huge deal, and my circumstances are different than just joyriding, but my main concern is that it happened during a clearance process.

Dude I think you might be SOL. I know a guy who got dinged for a jaywalking citation in the clearance process. Good luck,though.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm

thenextbigman86 wrote:Hello,

You're fine. They don't care. I used to administer security clearances for the DoD. You got a speeding ticket...you reported it. They care more about criminal offenses/not paying fines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

had a $160 speeding ticket that I reported for my USAO clearance.. wrote a letter of explanation to the USA.. no problems.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Might work in your favor. Even the USAO people get speeding tickets and they resent them just as much as you do.

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Nobody cares. I would not overdo explaining it though. That just makes you look like a moron or somebody that does not take responsibility for their actions.

Return to “Legal Employment”