gay marriage in cl to demonstrate regional pref?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aston2412

Re: gay marriage in cl to demonstrate regional pref?

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Haven't mailed them yet. Getting that one out tomorrow but they are near the top for me too.

I'm hoping for Ropes, Holland, Foley, Foley or Nixon. Well I guess I'm technically praying for Ropes, but you got the idea...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Glock wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Glock wrote:
f0bolous wrote:am i seriously the only 'mo that likes it here in the red states?

I love red states. I blend in and feel less pressure to have particular political views. I find them significantly more accepting of libertarians, on average.

Surprisingly, people in the red states are more accepting of most things. Even some things that they don't agree with. :shock:

The intolerance of intolerance is often more noticeable and upsetting than the intolerance in the first place. I am often surprised with how little red state people care about someone holding an opposing view.

Yes, while in the blue states if you don't agree with someone you are automatically labeled less intelligent, and they take it upon themselves to "help" you.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:04 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Glock wrote:The intolerance of intolerance is often more noticeable and upsetting than the intolerance in the first place. I am often surprised with how little red state people care about someone holding an opposing view.

Yes, while in the blue states if you don't agree with someone you are automatically labeled less intelligent, and they take it upon themselves to "help" you.

Blatant intolerance of intolerance of intolerance. :P

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Haven't mailed them yet. Getting that one out tomorrow but they are near the top for me too.

I'm hoping for Ropes, Holland, Foley, Foley or Nixon. Well I guess I'm technically praying for Ropes, but you got the idea...

Why no Bingham, K&L, or Goodwin?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yes, while in the blue states if you don't agree with someone you are automatically labeled less intelligent, and they take it upon themselves to "help" you.

You were pretty much blacklisted if you came down on the wrong side of Boy Scouts v. Dale

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:24 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Glock wrote:The intolerance of intolerance is often more noticeable and upsetting than the intolerance in the first place. I am often surprised with how little red state people care about someone holding an opposing view.

Blatant intolerance of intolerance of intolerance. :P

FUCKING INCEPTIONED

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Haven't mailed them yet. Getting that one out tomorrow but they are near the top for me too.

Why no Bingham, K&L, or Goodwin?

Applying to all three but feel like Bingham and Goodwin are right behind Ropes in terms of selectivity. So again, not holding my breath.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

Least they aren't trying to take your rights away!

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

Sure they are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment ... nation_Act

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:02 pm

I wouldn't put it. I think this might have had more salience just a few months ago, when NY didn't have gay marriage yet. However, NY getting gay marriage has weakened the argument a lot given the enormous number of legal positions in NYC. Of course, if you can demonstrate other reasons why you want to go to DC (want to do regulatory work, for example), gay marriage is a useful addendum to that--but I wouldn't bring it up in the cover letter. My understanding is that pretty much every DC firm asks "Why DC?" at interviews anyway, so you can include it then. That's my plan, anyway.

Also, I suspect they're aware marriage is a motivating factor in job location for a significant number of LGB people and wouldn't need to see it on your cover letter to understand it from your resume, assuming your resume makes it clear that you're gay.

And don't feed the trolls, people.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Glock wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

Oh I forgot about that. It's going to be almost as bad as the time they said black people and white people were equal!

/sarcasm off

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
Glock wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

Oh I forgot about that. It's going to be almost as bad as the time they said black people and white people were equal!

/sarcasm off

I am just saying don't wear the rights hat when what you actually want is to strip people of control over their property to serve your egalitarian social goals. You don't have a right to be employed.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Glock wrote:I am just saying don't wear the rights hat when what you actually want is to strip people of control over their property to serve your egalitarian social goals. You don't have a right to be employed.

As someone who has been fired for being gay, kindly STFU.

Below are the firms that provide the "gay gross-up" I was talking about above, for those folks on the board that have partners/spouses/sig. others who will be on their medical insurance.

■Bingham McCutchen
■Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
■Debevoise & Plimpton
■Dickstein Shapiro
■Fenwick & West
■Linklaters
■McDermott Will & Emery
■Morrison & Foerster
■Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
■Shearman & Sterling
■Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett
■Skadden Arps
■Winston & Strawn

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Don't know that you really need to say gay marriage specifically. If you address the firm's commitment to diversity in a way that sets you up as LGBT, I think you only need to tie yourself to DC in the interview if they ask you, "Why DC?" and you can talk about how you love politics, the laid-back style of the city compared to NY and how they let you get married.

I thought about it for my Boston cover letters (that's the city that I have no ties to) but ultimately decided against it.

Just my thoughts.

This. Everything I've heard seems to indicate it really doesn't matter whether you have ties to DC - everyone wants to work in DC/NY. I'd say something general like "I am interested in making DC my home" or "I am interested in establishing my career in DC" so it is clear you are committed. Then, if it comes up in an interview, you can discuss/briefly mention in person.

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 pm

f0bolous wrote:am i seriously the only 'mo that likes it here in the red states?

Nope, I do too. But this board is definitely overrun with types who don't.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Glock wrote:
More importantly there is a significant portion of the population that is at least moderately disgusted by your lifestyle.

Just so you know, there's also a portion of the population that is at least moderately disgusted by people who refer to homosexuality as a "lifestyle."

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Heartford wrote:
Glock wrote:
More importantly there is a significant portion of the population that is at least moderately disgusted by your lifestyle.

Just so you know, there's also a portion of the population that is at least moderately disgusted by people who refer to homosexuality as a "lifestyle."

And that portion of the population needs to consult a dictionary. See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lifestyle (defining "lifestyle" as "the typical way of life of an individual, group, or culture"). Assuming that we are talking about actually engaging in homosexuality, a pattern of behavior is definitionally a "lifestyle."

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 pm

drylo wrote:
Heartford wrote:
Glock wrote:

And that portion of the population needs to consult a dictionary. See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lifestyle (defining "lifestyle" as "the typical way of life of an individual, group, or culture"). Assuming that we are talking about actually engaging in homosexuality, a pattern of behavior is definitionally a "lifestyle."

If you believe that it's an innate characteristic, homosexuality is not a "pattern of behavior" or "way of life." Those terms connote, maybe subtly, that it's a choice. And just so you know, some people disagree with that.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks to the three or four people that provided on-topic answers. Can the H8r's please stop trolling my thread while I figure out what I write in my cover letter?

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Cupidity wrote:Thanks to the three or four people that provided on-topic answers. Can the H8r's please stop trolling my thread while I figure out what I write in my cover letter?

Yeah sorry for feeding the trolls.

I agree that the connection is sort of weak on the ground that there are other places where gay marriage is legal, so it's not really specific to D.C. Maybe, for that reason, it's just strange to use it as the only explanation for your interest in the market- maybe it would work if used in conjunction with generic D.C.-specific remarks about politics and whatnot?

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Heartford wrote:
drylo wrote:
Heartford wrote:
Glock wrote:

If you believe that it's an innate characteristic, homosexuality is not a "pattern of behavior" or "way of life." Those terms connote, maybe subtly, that it's a choice. And just so you know, some people disagree with that.

Are you really trying to argue that sexual behavior is not a choice?

I understand the argument that people are be born with slightly different psychological make-ups. Some people are probably more prone to get angry than others. It may be more of a struggle for some people to resist the inclination toward kleptomania. Maybe some people really are natural-born killers. The point is that we all have slightly different psychological make-ups, for sure, and that probably manifests itself in sexual arousal in some way as well. (Of course, environment plays a huge role in all of these things as well.) At any rate, the real disagreement then is about what kind of desires and inclinations we ought to indulge and which ones we ought to control. People have very different worldviews and philosophies about things like that. There are some sexual desires that Americans almost universally believe should be repressed (e.g., pedophilia). The morality of homosexuality is more controversial among Americans, but that doesn't mean it is any less of a choice to indulge that desire than it is to indulge your desire to watch the football game or to take your neighbor's chainsaw when he isn't around or to abuse kids, etc. Without passing any moral judgment on any of those things, I think we should all be able to agree that people choose whether to do them or not. Let's just be honest that the real disagreement is about the differing perceptions of morality.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 am

drylo wrote:
Are you really trying to argue that sexual behavior is not a choice?

Sent you a PM so as not to derail the thread.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 am

Heartford wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Thanks to the three or four people that provided on-topic answers. Can the H8r's please stop trolling my thread while I figure out what I write in my cover letter?

Yeah sorry for feeding the trolls.

I agree that the connection is sort of weak on the ground that there are other places where gay marriage is legal, so it's not really specific to D.C. Maybe, for that reason, it's just strange to use it as the only explanation for your interest in the market- maybe it would work if used in conjunction with generic D.C.-specific remarks about politics and whatnot?

This was my thought as well, especially when you go to a school in a state that also has gay marriage. It's not a reason, by itself, that indicates you'd rather be in DC over Boston. If thrown in as one of various reasons (the main one being you want to do the kind of work that can only really be done in DC, or something), then maybe it'll help build your case.

Also, I was under the impression DC was a tough market because of the ratio of jobs:applicants being so disparate, not because of the demand for close ties?

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Heartford wrote:
Glock wrote:

They are a lot less prevalent in law, IMO. More importantly I will not be making that representation on a cover letter or resume.

Also, for your convenience:
Definition of LIFESTYLE
: the typical way of life of an individual, group, or culture

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 am

Kretzy wrote:
Glock wrote:I am just saying don't wear the rights hat when what you actually want is to strip people of control over their property to serve your egalitarian social goals. You don't have a right to be employed.

As someone who has been fired for being gay, kindly STFU.

As someone who has been fired for being an asshole, kindly STFU. Employers should not be able to discriminate against assholes and I want the state to enforce that for me. Genetic factors largely determine whether you are an asshole or not, so we should be a protected class that is able to infringe on the rights of employers.

Return to “Legal Employment”