UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Paul Weiss ding via snail mail. :cry:

Did you have a CB with them?

Just got Paul Weiss rejection post callback. Stings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

e-mail or snail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

What's the status of Sidley CBs in the Chicago office? I haven't heard of many. Perhaps a smaller class size for them this year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Chicago enters the recruiting game at a relatively late time in the game, so it's quite possible that many of these firms are down to a few final spots in their class that they wish to reserve for applicants with specific qualities. My guess is that if you had a Paul Weiss call-back, you have at least a few options. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

e-mail or snail?

Snail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the status of Sidley CBs in the Chicago office? I haven't heard of many. Perhaps a smaller class size for them this year?

I also see that Sidley Chicago took 8 :shock: UofC students last year for their 2012 class. I would not be surprised if they bring in few UofC students this year (in my own completely unscientific and unreasoned analysis).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Chicago enters the recruiting game at a relatively late time in the game, so it's quite possible that many of these firms are down to a few final spots in their class that they wish to reserve for applicants with specific qualities. My guess is that if you had a Paul Weiss call-back, you have at least a few options. Good luck!

Nah, my OCI kind of sucked. And by that, I mean that it definitely sucked bad. Paul Weiss was pretty much my only hope at getting a firm I actually wanted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:00 pm

looks like our class is getting reamed. but god forbid THE law school should change the grading curve to be less f*cking granular.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nah, my OCI kind of sucked. And by that, I mean that it definitely sucked bad. Paul Weiss was pretty much my only hope at getting a firm I actually wanted.

At least you seem to have a firm. Some of us here have absolutely nothing at this point...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Nah, my OCI kind of sucked. And by that, I mean that it definitely sucked bad. Paul Weiss was pretty much my only hope at getting a firm I actually wanted.

At least you seem to have a firm. Some of us here have absolutely nothing at this point...

Yeah, you're right. And I do feel bad for you guys. I just had high expectations for myself going in, that I probably shouldn't have had. Turns out writing onto Law Review isn't as much of a boost as you would think. Maybe it is our grading system. Maybe it's the transfers taking all the jobs. I don't know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Does anyone else feel like firms are hedging with the prospects of a double-dip recession?

To the extent the Class of 2012 felt a slight rebound in the number of summer positions available, those gains may disappear as firms "bat down the hatches" and prepare for the realities of the unknown, but daunting, legal services economy.

I hope it's not true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I can't believe anyone for a moment believed the OCI crap: "employers DON'T KNOW what to make of those numbers"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Wachtell rejection in the mail with an authentic James Cole Jr. autograph. Hell. Yeah. This baby's being framed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, you're right. And I do feel bad for you guys. I just had high expectations for myself going in, that I probably shouldn't have had. Turns out writing onto Law Review isn't as much of a boost as you would think. Maybe it is our grading system. Maybe it's the transfers taking all the jobs. I don't know.

I don't know any transfers who are cleaning up in the NY market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wachtell rejection in the mail with an authentic James Cole Jr. autograph. Hell. Yeah. This baby's being framed.

James R Cole = service partner TO THE STARS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I don't know any transfers who are cleaning up in the NY market.

I do.

Also Sidley hired 7 UofC summers the year before, so 8 doesn't seem like a big outlier. To get that many offers extended they probably gave AT LEAST 25 callbacks. I don't know of nearly that many so maybe the callbacks are just coming off slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:looks like our class is getting reamed. but god forbid THE law school should change the grading curve to be less f*cking granular.

That might be part of it, but I also blame our late (and exceptionally long) OCI. I think it has to be a big disadvantage to be starting interviews when a lot of firms are a good amount of the way through callbacks. When kids from Columbia or NYU are doing callbacks, it's with firms that know they have 15 open spots. By the time we're being considered a lot of those spots are filled, and even if they "reserve" some spots for UofC kids I find it hard to believe there isn't a psychic crunch that hurts us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I don't know any transfers who are cleaning up in the NY market.

I do.

Also Sidley hired 7 UofC summers the year before, so 8 doesn't seem like a big outlier. To get that many offers extended they probably gave AT LEAST 25 callbacks. I don't know of nearly that many so maybe the callbacks are just coming off slow.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I do.

what do you mean by cleaning up? have you just heard of a few nice ny firms that transfers are getting callbacks from, or are there people sitting on like 6+ nyc callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 pm

i know someone sitting on a good number of CBs. solid firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know someone sitting on a good number of CBs. solid firms.

to be fair, i know of another transfer who bid on NY and has only one CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 pm

to be fair, i never purported to be speaking about all of the transfers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I do.

I doubt that Sidley has a ~33% yield with U-Chicago students. Given Kirkland's reputation for being a bit of a sweatshop, Sidley's probably the most popular firm for those who want to stay in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I doubt that Sidley has a ~33% yield with U-Chicago students. Given Kirkland's reputation for being a bit of a sweatshop, Sidley's probably the most popular firm for those who want to stay in Chicago.

First of all callbacks /= offers

Second of all there are many people who bid multiple markets which puts Sidley into competition with firms from other markets as well. Plus there are a number of strong candidates who will focus on another market but bid Kirkland and Sidley to cover bases.

Even assuming a generous 3/4 ratio of callbacks to offers, the number is around 25. In reality, my guess it is (or at least has been) considerably higher.

Return to “Legal Employment”