UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm at median and I mass-mailed the week after the list of firms at OCI came out. I've gotten one response from all of that, a rejection letter. Meanwhile I have several callbacks from OCI. I interviewed in NY only.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

What firms do we know of where there are three groups of people: 1. CBs 2. Dings 3. Waiting to hear

I believe that Skadden Chi is one such firm. What other firms do people know of? This would give us a better idea of who may be doing rolling CBs.

I know Mayer Chi has sent out dings, but I'm not sure if some have not heard. I have not heard of any dings at the other major Chicago firms: Kirkland, Sidley, Winston, Latham, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at median and I mass-mailed the week after the list of firms at OCI came out. I've gotten one response from all of that, a rejection letter. Meanwhile I have several callbacks from OCI. I interviewed in NY only.

Mass-mailing seems tough. Sent out a reasonable number of letters over a month ago and have also only heard back from one firm: a ding. I have an ok resume and solid grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

As a side note, asking firms about their ROLLING CBs when you haven't heard from them yet is super bizarre and surely leads to a ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a side note, asking firms about their ROLLING CBs when you haven't heard from them yet is super bizarre and surely leads to a ding.


Called every V10 firm. The receptionists had no idea what a rolling callback is. OCS IS LYING TO US.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Should've sent carrier pigeons. You know those V10s are still traditional.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a side note, asking firms about their ROLLING CBs when you haven't heard from them yet is super bizarre and surely leads to a ding.


Called every V10 firm. The receptionists had no idea what a rolling callback is. OCS IS LYING TO US.


1) The receptionists probably are not in charge of callbacks.

2) If you read through last year's OCI thread, you can see some evidence of rolling callbacks.

3) OCS wants us employed. I doubt they would "lie" intentionally - why, just to avoid getting panicked calls?

4) Whether or not rolling callbacks exist, when your "waiting to hear" list gets stale or starts to dwindle, it's probably a good idea to start looking for other options. OCI is a great, but imperfect opportunity. If it fails, you don't want to be left holding the bag no matter whose fault it is...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 am

anybody hovering around 177 had no business relying on OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 am

Edited: nvm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a side note, asking firms about their ROLLING CBs when you haven't heard from them yet is super bizarre and surely leads to a ding.


Called every V10 firm. The receptionists had no idea what a rolling callback is. OCS IS LYING TO US.


1) The receptionists probably are not in charge of callbacks.

2) If you read through last year's OCI thread, you can see some evidence of rolling callbacks.

3) OCS wants us employed. I doubt they would "lie" intentionally - why, just to avoid getting panicked calls?

4) Whether or not rolling callbacks exist, when your "waiting to hear" list gets stale or starts to dwindle, it's probably a good idea to start looking for other options. OCI is a great, but imperfect opportunity. If it fails, you don't want to be left holding the bag no matter whose fault it is...


Wow. Look, I'm sorry you're stressed out about the callback situation. I'm sure you're lovely in person and very smart. But dude. Recruitment is not the primary focus of a law firm. They are also engaged in the practice of law, so yes, almost no one outside of recruiting is keyed into what the recruitment office is doing.

If you really want to "discover the truth" for yourself, call and ask to speak to the legal recruitment director or coordinator. I commend you for being pro-active and taking matters into your own hands -- this leads me to think that you're probably going to end up being just fine -- but I think we all need to try to manage the hysteria and channel extra energy into mass mailings. If you're not happy with your callback situation, there's no reason not to do it.

EDIT: Also, if you do speak to the recruiting, remember that they might not call them "rolling callbacks" -- you might have to explain what you are referring to since they might just think of this as the "recruiting process" as opposed to using your specific terminology.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at median and I mass-mailed the week after the list of firms at OCI came out. I've gotten one response from all of that, a rejection letter. Meanwhile I have several callbacks from OCI. I interviewed in NY only.

Mass-mailing seems tough. Sent out a reasonable number of letters over a month ago and have also only heard back from one firm: a ding. I have an ok resume and solid grades.


Finding a job is tough. We are VERY FORTUNATE that we have a OCI with hundreds of offices represented to potentially make it easier, unlike the kids at about 200 other law schools.

If you are just sending out letters and not following up, it should not be a surprise they are not giving you much consideration. You should send out a letter and say you will follow up soon (e.g. in the last paragraph mention that you will follow up at the end of the week or next week) and then actually follow up. You can follow up by 1) calling, asking for legal recruitment and asking about the status or 2) if you have another callback in the area, fwd the original message and add a note asking if they had a chance to review and mention that you are still interested and will already be in the area.

This will differentiate you from the hordes of mass mailings they get and significantly heighten your chances of getting a positive response. Unless you have a very specific skill that they have a specific need for (e.g. you speak Japanese and they just got a client where they need a Japanese speaker), there will be tons of people, especially in this economy, that are potentially good candidates on paper and they need an easy way to differentiate between them. Just coming to this school does not entitle you to a job. Yes, this way takes more work. This is exactly why they often don't respond otherwise. They want people who are willing to put in extra work because those are the people who presumably will be successful.

I've had a number of competitive internships (e.g. the types people often get through connections) and if there's one thing I've learned is that the way to get noticed in job searching is through (polite) persistence.

Last note, you also need to do this ASAP. When the class is filled, it's game over.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a side note, asking firms about their ROLLING CBs when you haven't heard from them yet is super bizarre and surely leads to a ding.


Called every V10 firm. The receptionists had no idea what a rolling callback is. OCS IS LYING TO US.


1) The receptionists probably are not in charge of callbacks.

2) If you read through last year's OCI thread, you can see some evidence of rolling callbacks.

3) OCS wants us employed. I doubt they would "lie" intentionally - why, just to avoid getting panicked calls?

4) Whether or not rolling callbacks exist, when your "waiting to hear" list gets stale or starts to dwindle, it's probably a good idea to start looking for other options. OCI is a great, but imperfect opportunity. If it fails, you don't want to be left holding the bag no matter whose fault it is...


"Called every V10 firm. The receptionists had no idea what a rolling callback is. OCS IS LYING TO US." was a joke

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 am

I'd like to say once again that the rolling callback thing is real.

There are several firms I have received no ding at, and others have received CBs or dings at two weeks ago.

The system makes a ton of sense. Why, if you were trying to 1) assemble the best class possible and 2) not spend tons of $$$ on CBs, would you not do CBs in waves? You first bring back your main target, then you bring back your secondary targets when the main target decides to work for a New York V10 instead of your satellite office in Kansas City.

Talk to 3Ls around median who got callbacks in the weeks after OCI for the same firms their LR classmates got in the first week.

I mean, if every firm wanted to take the best applicants and only had a limited number of CBs, the same 25 people would be getting all of the callbacks. Why in the world would a firm from Seattle with only two callback slots take the median kid from Portland with a nice personality over the law review girl from Seattle? The answer is that they don't do this. They first offer the Seattle girl. When she doesn't pan out, they offer the next guy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:14 am

Gammage and Burnham CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

Anyone hear of anymore DC CBs? They are either annoyingly slow or people who are getting them aren't on this board.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of anymore DC CBs? They are either annoyingly slow or people who are getting them aren't on this board.


I know a person who has had several DC CBs that does not post on this board.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of anymore DC CBs? They are either annoyingly slow or people who are getting them aren't on this board.


I know a person who has had several DC CBs that does not post on this board.


Mind posting the firms if they haven't been discussed here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of anymore DC CBs? They are either annoyingly slow or people who are getting them aren't on this board.


I know a person who has had several DC CBs that does not post on this board.


Mind posting the firms if they haven't been discussed here?


I'm not sure which firms have been discussed here, but if I recall correctly -- A&P, Cleary, and GDC, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

Debevoise NY ding - email

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 am

Sidley D.C. CB.
Crowell & Moring D.C. ding via email

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:10 am

Quick Q - Where to get a mens haircut around here (HP)? Or should I just plan on looking in the city?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to say once again that the rolling callback thing is real.

There are several firms I have received no ding at, and others have received CBs or dings at two weeks ago.

The system makes a ton of sense. Why, if you were trying to 1) assemble the best class possible and 2) not spend tons of $$$ on CBs, would you not do CBs in waves? You first bring back your main target, then you bring back your secondary targets when the main target decides to work for a New York V10 instead of your satellite office in Kansas City.

Talk to 3Ls around median who got callbacks in the weeks after OCI for the same firms their LR classmates got in the first week.

I mean, if every firm wanted to take the best applicants and only had a limited number of CBs, the same 25 people would be getting all of the callbacks. Why in the world would a firm from Seattle with only two callback slots take the median kid from Portland with a nice personality over the law review girl from Seattle? The answer is that they don't do this. They first offer the Seattle girl. When she doesn't pan out, they offer the next guy.


Yeah, I definitely know other people in this same boat. I've now heard back from every firm I interviewed with, but there are plenty of people in limbo at firms that have made both initial CB offers and inital dings. Don't lose hope, folks! (Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't think about doing some targeted mailings).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Did Paul Hastings Los Angeles send out ding letters or email yet? I know they did CB but I have not received a rejection. Should i just assume that ship left and I'm not on it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 pm

If we do mailings, should we include our GPA on our resume? I know it was frowned upon for OCI, but I believe that at many other schools including your GPA is standard. I would hate to get thrown into the reject pile just because I didn't include a GPA. If including a GPA is advisable, then what about a percentile estimate? Is doing so just frowned upon by OCS, or is it actually against school rules?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did Paul Hastings Los Angeles send out ding letters or email yet? I know they did CB but I have not received a rejection. Should i just assume that ship left and I'm not on it?


You might be on the dreaded wait list. I know a lot of people who received ding letters.

I did a CB with them over two weeks ago and heard nothing so I'm waiting for my ding as well.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.