UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jenner (Chi) email ding.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Anyone hear from Cadwalader DC? Any DC firms today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Munger ding in mail today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MoFo SF callback.

What time?

A few hours ago. Maybe 1:30?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

V&E Houston CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Email ding: Jones Day Chicago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Both by mail - Skadden & Quinn NYC dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:50 pm

DPW SV office CB just now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Mcdermott, Jones day, jenner dings. All chi all via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V&E Houston CB

time? Are you LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

time? Are you LR?

It was actually Friday, I just didn't post it yet. Not LR, just above Median grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

time? Are you LR?

It was actually Friday, I just didn't post it yet. Not LR, just above Median grades.

Anyone hear of any Dallas CBs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

time? Are you LR?

Anyone hear of any Dallas CBs?

BB, last week

nothing else

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Dewey NYC ding via mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Cadwalader NY cb

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader NY cb

when?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

when?

+1 Also, any DC CB anyone has heard of?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:+1 Also, any DC CB anyone has heard of?

Heard of a Paul Hastings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

when?

this afternoon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Dear Friends:

I must share something of importance to you all-OCS is about 95.9% full of crap. Their inability to do research and be more upfront with me/most of us is sicken. They tell us that firms are excited to have UChicago students and just going to this school is already an upper hand. However, that is not enough and that is not the case.

For one, no such thing as ROLLING CALLBACKS. Just spoke to 6 firms, who had no idea what a rolling callback is. They said they have a list of people they want to invite back, if you are not on that list, it is probably(98%) a rejection. If callbacks occur and you did not get a call, IT'S A REJECTION!

I was stupidly sitting at home waiting, until I called these firms and they said once callbacks happen and you did not receive a call, it's a rejection.

It's time to get proactive ladies and gentelmen. Rather than mass-mailing, I say you mass-call. Your emails get lost, but if you tell them you were bumed they did not show up for our OCI and really want to get a screening interview with them, you will get the person's direct email, rather than the generic recuirting email-address.

I am mad at myself for not been as informed about OCI until it was too late. The truth is, OCI is enough for some people but not most people. I interviewed with 23 firms, rejected from all but 3. As we speak, I have ZERO callbacks. Those 3 said they have not made decisions or callbacks yet, but based on how I batted with the other 20, it aint looking good for me. I have extensive work exprience and a 176gpa, I interviewed well, but I guess others where better.

My point is: OCS, in the freaking future, as in with the incoming 1L, do your research, be more upfront, or try getting more less-grade obsessed firms to OCI.

Now I have to do this on my own, I thought paying 200,000 would get me some leverage.

Open your eyes guys, it's time to be proactive!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear Friends:

I must share something of importance to you all-OCS is about 95.9% full of crap. Their inability to do research and be more upfront with me/most of us is sicken. They tell us that firms are excited to have UChicago students and just going to this school is already an upper hand. However, that is not enough and that is not the case.

For one, no such thing as ROLLING CALLBACKS. Just spoke to 6 firms, who had no idea what a rolling callback is. They said they have a list of people they want to invite back, if you are not on that list, it is probably(98%) a rejection. If callbacks occur and you did not get a call, IT'S A REJECTION!

I was stupidly sitting at home waiting, until I called these firms and they said once callbacks happen and you did not receive a call, it's a rejection.

It's time to get proactive ladies and gentelmen. Rather than mass-mailing, I say you mass-call. Your emails get lost, but if you tell them you were bumed they did not show up for our OCI and really want to get a screening interview with them, you will get the person's direct email, rather than the generic recuirting email-address.

I am mad at myself for not been as informed about OCI until it was too late. The truth is, OCI is enough for some people but not most people. I interviewed with 23 firms, rejected from all but 3. As we speak, I have ZERO callbacks. Those 3 said they have not made decisions or callbacks yet, but based on how I batted with the other 20, it aint looking good for me. I have extensive work exprience and a 176gpa, I interviewed well, but I guess others where better.

My point is: OCS, in the freaking future, as in with the incoming 1L, do your research, be more upfront, or try getting more less-grade obsessed firms to OCI.

Now I have to do this on my own, I thought paying 200,000 would get me some leverage.

How do you know you interviewed well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Look my post was for people in my position, those with no CBs yet. The point is, start looking at other avenues, take my advise or keep waiting, it's up to you.

I don't know if I interview well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear Friends:

Dude. I'm sorry the process didn't go well for you.

However, I do have a couple of comments:

1) There are rolling callbacks for a lot of firms this year. I can attest to this because I have spoken directly to firms who are doing it. It may be that the firms you applied to are not. However, a lot of them are doing so. A lot of them also aren't. Callbacks will be rolling in for people into the next 3 or 4 weeks.

2) Being at a 176 should have caused you to hustle. You could have gotten more interviews in more markets. The OCS advice to bid 2 markets is dumb. I bid all markets I had ties to and really wanted to live in. I ended up with a good number of callbacks.

3) You may be a good interviewer, but unless your interviewer can actually make the callback decision (a partner who is on the hiring committee), you wont get a callback if you aren't above the number threshold (for a lot of firms it is a 177). The only reaches I got were when I hiring partner interviewed me and liked me.

4) You are right. People should be hustling for jobs outside of OCI. Your secret isn't that secret though. If you look at the who worked where list, while 80% of people got jobs at firms, a huge portion (30%) were from firms who didn't interview at Chicago's OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Look my post was for people in my position, those with no CBs yet. The point is, start looking at other avenues, take my advise or keep waiting, it's up to you.

I don't know if I interview well.

I do think this is TCR for people with Median or below grades. You should mass-mail from the get go in a perfect world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm

any offers from chicago? when can we expect them to begin really rolling in?

Return to “Legal Employment”