UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The Chicago and New York firms were both relatively fast with callbacks. Almost every Chicago firm did callbacks the same day or the next, with a few firms waiting a couple of days. New York was a mixed bag, it seems like many of the more prestigious firms had pretty quick turn around on their initial callbacks. While the mid tier NY firms are taking a fair amount of time.


Have Sidley Chicago and L&W Chi done CBs then?


Sidley has at least started them. But I think the difference between the Cali firms with tiny classes and the big Chi and NYC firms is that those firms with big classes probably rush out a few CBs to the kids with really top grades, and then take a while longer to differentiate between people closer to median. It is pretty easy for Sidley to throw out 10 CBs to the law review kids, and maybe they think the fast turnaround will lure those kids in. Then I'd imagine they take more care going over the applications of the mass of people close to median and send out another round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The Chicago and New York firms were both relatively fast with callbacks. Almost every Chicago firm did callbacks the same day or the next, with a few firms waiting a couple of days. New York was a mixed bag, it seems like many of the more prestigious firms had pretty quick turn around on their initial callbacks. While the mid tier NY firms are taking a fair amount of time.


Have Sidley Chicago and L&W Chi done CBs then?


Sidley has at least started them. But I think the difference between the Cali firms with tiny classes and the big Chi and NYC firms is that those firms with big classes probably rush out a few CBs to the kids with really top grades, and then take a while longer to differentiate between people closer to median. It is pretty easy for Sidley to throw out 10 CBs to the law review kids, and maybe they think the fast turnaround will lure those kids in. Then I'd imagine they take more care going over the applications of the mass of people close to median and send out another round.


This is true everywhere this year. I am slightly above median. I was told to wait on a CB for a CA firm. However, LR kids get them first before mine goes out-- firms can't have more than X offers out because they really don't want to oversubscribe. It wouldn't make sense the other way where 177 dude gets the CB first. The only firms to reject me are tiny class firms, those where I said "I actually want X office, not this office," and super selective firms.

My callbacks have all been at small class firms and firms that wanted me for a unique skill I have. At the callback dinners I went to, the same LR kids and me were there.

The firms are waiting to see how many LR-grade-ons will accept right now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:27 pm

i think there is probably something to this line of thought, but people should be careful not to pass off speculation as fact. i know plenty of median people who got fast turnaround callbacks from both large and small classes on both coasts. imho, the CB thing is certainly grade driven to an extent, but it is also something of a blackbox as to personality, "fit" &etc

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 am

Still looking for a recommendation on a tailor to do mens alterations (preferably in HP) -- anyone?

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:51 am

I'm not in Hyde Park, and I'm not a man, but since no one else is answering -- I've gotten a suit jacket and a gown altered at Frank's Alterations in the South Loop. It's reasonably priced. They do men's clothing, too.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 am

pehaigllleises wrote:I'm not in Hyde Park, and I'm not a man, but since no one else is answering -- I've gotten a suit jacket and a gown altered at Frank's Alterations in the South Loop. It's reasonably priced. They do men's clothing, too.

Thanks! I appreciate it. You were pleased with the work done?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 am

any NY cbs today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 am

Kramer Levin NY CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 am

I've heard good things about Maria's Alterations in South Loop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kramer Levin NY CB


Today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kramer Levin NY CB


Today?


This morning, about 30 minutes ago.

Also, King & Spalding NY CB.
Baker & Hostetler CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kramer Levin NY CB


Today?


This morning, about 30 minutes ago.

Also, King & Spalding NY CB.
Baker & Hostetler CB.



LR?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kramer Levin NY CB


Today?


This morning, about 30 minutes ago.

Also, King & Spalding NY CB.
Baker & Hostetler CB.



LR?


Kramer Levin cb - no LR

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 pm

LR?[/quote]

Kramer Levin cb - no LR[/quote]

+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kramer Levin NY CB


Today?


This morning, about 30 minutes ago.

Also, King & Spalding NY CB.
Baker & Hostetler CB.



LR?


No LR, but Journal, below median grades

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Jenner Chi CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm

anyone hear from Cadwalader NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Any Latham Chi CBs yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Latham Chi CB Friday

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 pm

DPW callbacks coming out

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Foley Chi email ding

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW callbacks coming out


+1

Actually got my e-mail before the call, which was weird.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 pm

tons of rejects in the mail today (all NY):

hogan lovells
skadden
debevoise
mintz levin
quinn emanuel

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Gunderson Dettmer SV office CB via email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Just got 2 email dings, including a firm where I had reasonably strong connections and was well within the GPAs they hire from. The only firms I haven't heard back from were reaches to begin with. When does it becomes reasonable to start thinking about cutting your loses?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.