UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham NY cb; Paul Hastings NY ding - snail mail

When was the Latham NY CB and who was your interviewer?

today and RS

when today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

has anyone actually gotten decent advice out of OCS? the results of my OCI have completely contradicted what they said

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham NY cb; Paul Hastings NY ding - snail mail

When was the Latham NY CB and who was your interviewer?

today and RS

when today

this afternoon about 3:30

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Any news from DPW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Anyone hear from the LA Latham office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any 3Ls hear from sidley chi yet?

CB earlier today. Hopefully more are coming. Good luck!

Did sidley chicago CBs already go out for 2Ls?

I heard this afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Ropes Bay Area CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone actually gotten decent advice out of OCS? the results of my OCI have completely contradicted what they said

They tell you the wrong thing because they want everyone to get jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone actually gotten decent advice out of OCS? the results of my OCI have completely contradicted what they said

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone actually gotten decent advice out of OCS?

There was this one time.....wait.....no, that was actually horrible advice. It turns out I should have been doing more with my time than preparing for questions such as, "What is your greatest weakness?" or "Tell me about a time you conquered adversity as part of a team." I guess the answer is "no." A most definite "no."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:07 pm

what advice were all you actually expecting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what advice were all you actually expecting?

"Here's the secret handshake that gets you a job"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

There was this one time.....wait.....no, that was actually horrible advice. It turns out I should have been doing more with my time than preparing for questions such as, "What is your greatest weakness?" or "Tell me about a time you conquered adversity as part of a team." I guess the answer is "no." A most definite "no."

I do think OCS could have stressed the importance of selling oneself during the interview over simply answering the questions, and I especially think that the importance of applying to firms outside of OCI was understated. But I certainly wouldn't say that OCS's advice has been worthless. They are pretty good if you ask them the right questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I do think OCS could have stressed the importance of selling oneself during the interview over simply answering the questions, and I especially think that the importance of applying to firms outside of OCI was understated. But I certainly wouldn't say that OCS's advice has been worthless. They are pretty good if you ask them the right questions.

Anyone who can't figure out that they need to sell themselves in a job interview doesn't deserve a job. Also, if you attended the OCI orientation there was better interviewing advice there -- it was not always consistent, but neither are firms in what they're looking for. If you chose not to go, that's your own fault.

The one big caveat for OCI advice is that it is always geared toward just getting you employed as opposed to getting you employed in a job/city/firm that's right for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 am

at this point, what is a healthy # of cbs such that you're likely to get an offer or more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:at this point, what is a healthy # of cbs such that you're likely to get an offer or more?

Tough to tell because it depends on the class size of the firms you have CBs to as well as how many people they decided to call back. I'm at a number where I would be concerned but for the fact that 4 of the firms I have CBs to all have large classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:at this point, what is a healthy # of cbs such that you're likely to get an offer or more?

Tough to tell because it depends on the class size of the firms you have CBs to as well as how many people they decided to call back. I'm at a number where I would be concerned but for the fact that 4 of the firms I have CBs to all have large classes.

What's a "large" class size?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What's a "large" class size?

Good point. I tell myself anything over 40.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone who can't figure out that they need to sell themselves in a job interview doesn't deserve a job. Also, if you attended the OCI orientation there was better interviewing advice there -- it was not always consistent, but neither are firms in what they're looking for. If you chose not to go, that's your own fault.

The one big caveat for OCI advice is that it is always geared toward just getting you employed as opposed to getting you employed in a job/city/firm that's right for you.

My intention was to stick up for OCS. Yes, selling yourself during an interview is a very obvious thing to do. My complaint was that all the advice from OCS seemed geared towards being able to answer any question that could be thrown at you as opposed to telling the story you want told regardless of the questions being asked. Now this is obvious, as you pointed out, which is why I ended my point with something positive about OCS. Really, everything you need to know about this process is very obvious. All OCS really needs to do is to remind us not to be stupid. Unfortunately, situations like OCI tend to bring out the stupid in some people (mostly people like me).

But seriously, what do you get out of anonymously kicking people while they’re down? Please take your good interviewing skillz and go fuck yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

High offer:callback ratio > Large class size

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:46 am

Have Sullivan & Cromwell NYC CBs gone out for the room that had GS and RN as interviewers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:

where do you find offer/callback ratio data?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 am

Know of one SullCrom callback out of that room. Received yesterday.

Any news about DPW, Wachtell, or Debevoise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

where do you find offer/callback ratio data?

I think Harvard and Columbia gives out the info to their students. It should be pretty consistent from school to school.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 am

I think Harvard and Columbia gives out the info to their students. It should be pretty consistent from school to school.

Not at all. Cheaper to do more screeners and callbacks for New York firms at New York City schools.

Return to “Legal Employment”