UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Fantastic, I will be waiting nervously by my phone :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Sidley NY ding in mail. Certainly took their sweet time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sidley NY ding in mail. Certainly took their sweet time.

is this from screener or cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sidley NY ding in mail. Certainly took their sweet time.

is this from screener or cb?

It's from my screener roughly a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:44 pm

King & Spalding ding via snail mail express

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 pm

2L w/ no CBs here. Wanting to get an idea of how many ppl out there are in my situation. Anybody know of anybody with no CBs? Or does anyone have a guess you'd like to offer up of how many people like me out there just whiffed at OCI? ... :(

And what do people think- is it too late to send out cover letters/resumes to firms that didn't come to OCI? Like firms in non-major markets?

Thx.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L w/ no CBs here. Wanting to get an idea of how many ppl out there are in my situation. Anybody know of anybody with no CBs? Or does anyone have a guess you'd like to offer up of how many people like me out there just whiffed at OCI? ... :(

And what do people think- is it too late to send out cover letters/resumes to firms that didn't come to OCI? Like firms in non-major markets?

No offense, but shouldn't you have been asking that question weeks ago after ending OCI with no callbacks? Have you sent anything out yet?

I sent things out to firms that don't come to our OCI before OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L w/ no CBs here. Wanting to get an idea of how many ppl out there are in my situation. Anybody know of anybody with no CBs? Or does anyone have a guess you'd like to offer up of how many people like me out there just whiffed at OCI? ... :(

No offense, but shouldn't you have been asking that question weeks ago after ending OCI with no callbacks? Have you sent anything out yet?

And also what is 'too late'? Better late than never, desperate times call for desperate measures, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I've already sent things out for markets that I have ties to, but I want to do more. I wish I would have done more before OCI, but I can't change that now. I underestimated how difficult it was going to be to find a job for next summer, and I'd like to be proactive from this point forward. I'd like to know what anyone thinks about sending out more cover letters/resumes at this point in time to firms in non-major markets. Is it destined to be a fruitless endeavor? Should I try anyway? If anyone has some useful advice, I'd love to hear it. If you find yourself typing a reply about what I should have done that I didn't, don't bother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've already sent things out for markets that I have ties to, but I want to do more. I wish I would have done more before OCI, but I can't change that now. I underestimated how difficult it was going to be to find a job for next summer, and I'd like to be proactive from this point forward. I'd like to know what anyone thinks about sending out more cover letters/resumes at this point in time to firms in non-major markets. Is it destined to be a fruitless endeavor? Should I try anyway? If anyone has some useful advice, I'd love to hear it. If you find yourself typing a reply about what I should have done that I didn't, don't bother.

You should try anyway
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Gotta look at cost vs. benefit. It certainly won't hurt to send out things. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Thx.

Definitely worth a try. I had some luck with sending out letters a few weeks ago, which was already too late according to a lot of people. Don't wait though, you need to get the letters out ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You should try anyway

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should try anyway

I'm stunned this needs to be said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a lot of success in getting CBs through mass-mailing when I mentioned in my cover letter that I would be physically in the non-major market for a visit during a certain time period. If feasible, try that. After the CBs, the firms offered to pay for the cost of my trip, which was great.

Also, don't forget to mention what your ties are to the market. The people I spoke with at my CBs were very conscious of my connections, and if you can mention family ties, having previously lived there, anything, that will probably go a long way to getting a response from the firm.

This late in the game, I would also suggest sending emails, rather than letters, and following up with the recruiting coordinator two to three days after sending the email. Call in this case, don't email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had a lot of success in getting CBs through mass-mailing when I mentioned in my cover letter that I would be physically in the non-major market for a visit during a certain time period. If feasible, try that. After the CBs, the firms offered to pay for the cost of my trip, which was great.

Also, don't forget to mention what your ties are to the market. The people I spoke with at my CBs were very conscious of my connections, and if you can mention family ties, having previously lived there, anything, that will probably go a long way to getting a response from the firm.

This late in the game, I would also suggest sending emails, rather than letters, and following up with the recruiting coordinator two to three days after sending the email. Call in this case, don't email.

Call first maybe. I think that this may be best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Call first maybe. I think that this may be best.

Talk to OCS. I know there's some debate about how helpful they are, but it can't hurt, right? I can't imagine that you're the only person in this situation, so maybe they've developed some sort of resources or have advice that would be useful. Plus, if firm interviewing doesn't pan out the way you want it to, there's always clerking - whether trial or appellate; maybe you can get a leg up on that now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Also had no callbacks. I still havent heard back from every firm I screened at though. Been emailing like crazy.
Median grades, journal, decent WE... I just dont know what happened. Im starting to think I must have a warrant out for my arrest or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1. Unfortunate that Career Services didn't offer this advice. I used this approach as well and had lots of success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: had a lot of success in getting CBs through mass-mailing when I mentioned in my cover letter that I would be physically in the non-major market for a visit during a certain time period. If feasible, try that. After the CBs, the firms offered to pay for the cost of my trip, which was great.

+1. Unfortunate that Career Services didn't offer this advice. I used this approach as well and had lots of success.

This is exactly the advice I got from Career Services when I took the bold step of asking for advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You just have to be really aggressive and spend a lot of time on the job search. Broaden your scope to not just biglaw, but midlaw as well. Get firm names wherever you can, e.g. NLJ 250. Then mass email them. You can get their recruiting info off of NALP, so just email the recruiter. I'd attach a resume, transcript, and either a cover letter or just something in the body of the email. For certain firms, like ones you have geographic ties to, you want to make that clear in the cover letter/body. For firms you like best/think you have the best shot at, write a few sentences about why you're interested in the firm so it's tailored to the firm. For the rest of the firms, a generic message you can copy/paste will be enough. After all, writing out 200+ tailored messages will be a pain, and not really worth the effort.

The real key is not the email, but following up. Be persistent. After a few days, call up every single firm and don't rest until you talk to someone who's in recruiting. Don't let yourself be stuck with leaving a voicemail or something. Get the # for the recruiter off the NALP form, or just call the firm's general phone number directly and ask for the recruiting department. Politely inquire as to the status of your application and reiterate your interest. Say you'll be in the area and are available for an interview.

The follow up is what will really help you stand out from the piles of resumes they have. Think: 99% of applicants never both to follow up. They just take the shotgun approach and send out a bunch of resumes, hoping something sticks. Following up makes you unique.

It's late, yes, but firms as recently as last week have called me up out of the blue and asked if I wanted to interview with them. These were firms I had emailed weeks ago and never expected to hear anything from.

So don't give up hope, keep working hard, and you can definitely get something. It's really rough out there this year. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:57 am

It must be getting close to the time where people will be hitting the first 28 day windows for their offers from callbacks. I'd suspect that as firms begin to get their initial offers turned down there will be firms extending offers to people still waiting to hear from callbacks, and hopefully conducting some further callbacks as well.

That definitely doesn't mean anyone without an offer should be sitting back and waiting for that to happen though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 am

To anyone who's struggling this late in the game: it's going to be virtually useless to go through a recruiter. Don't mass-mail. My advice would be: (1) locate firms you'd be interested in working at; (2) find alumni at the firm (ideally both UG/Law, but at this point we'll go with either); (3) tell them your situation ("I'm seeking a job in this market. Your firm is fantastic but I also know it's getting late. Ideally, and at the risk of going against procedure, might I submit through you?") (4) Your goal here is to avoid having the recruiter touch your file.

Another piece of advice -- see how high in the foodchain you can go. Look to see if you have a connection to the managing, the chairman, the president, etc. Those people don't need to pass on your file -- they often can make judgments on the spot.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 pm

More authoritative advice from an uniformed 2L/3L. I have been getting CBs from mass-mailings that I sent out recently. Maybe his/her way is better (I don't claim to be an expert), but don't give up on mass-mails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:More authoritative advice from an uniformed 2L/3L. I have been getting CBs from mass-mailings that I sent out recently. Maybe his/her way is better (I don't claim to be an expert), but don't give up on mass-mails.

Congrats on the CBs.

Return to “Legal Employment”