UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 am

anyone hear from any firms that did screeners yesterday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 am

I personally blame all those people (with great grades) I talked to during OCI who were doing 30–40+ screening interviews (the majority of which were with firms they weren't even interested in) almost solely as a venture in seeing how many callback feathers they can pin in their cap. Hopefully once some of these people realize they can only work at one firm next summer the congestion will ease up and we'll experience some trickledown callbackonomics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I personally blame all those people (with great grades) I talked to during OCI who were doing 30–40+ screening interviews (the majority of which were with firms they weren't even interested in) almost solely as a venture in seeing how many callback feathers they can pin in their cap. Hopefully once some of these people realize they can only work at one firm next summer the congestion will ease up and we'll experience some trickledown callbackonomics.
few obvious candidates for this dubious honor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Image
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:25 am

How many people are there out there who haven't heard yay/nay from Cravath yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I personally blame all those people (with great grades) I talked to during OCI who were doing 30–40+ screening interviews (the majority of which were with firms they weren't even interested in) almost solely as a venture in seeing how many callback feathers they can pin in their cap. Hopefully once some of these people realize they can only work at one firm next summer the congestion will ease up and we'll experience some trickledown callbackonomics.
In fairness to those people, I don't think anyone has any idea of what interviewers like or how successful they will be. While there are certainly firms/markets that all of us would prefer, we all also want to be able to get a job and pay off our debt. People who used a lot of bids (and I am one) were simply doing so because they knew they would rather have a job that was less than their dream job than be unemployed. Nothing prevented other people from using all 50 bids and employing this strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In fairness to those people, I don't think anyone has any idea of what interviewers like or how successful they will be. While there are certainly firms/markets that all of us would prefer, we all also want to be able to get a job and pay off our debt. People who used a lot of bids (and I am one) were simply doing so because they knew they would rather have a job that was less than their dream job than be unemployed. Nothing prevented other people from using all 50 bids and employing this strategy.
The people I know doing this are going far and above the "playing it safe" zone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Cravath callback yesterday

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The people I know doing this are going far and above the "playing it safe" zone.
+1

I know people who are bidding on offices and trying to get callbacks just to visit the city and have a hotel room/meals paid for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Simpson Thacher callback, NY office.

interviewer initials: JO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1

I know people who are bidding on offices and trying to get callbacks just to visit the city and have a hotel room/meals paid for.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1

While people might joke around about that, I have a hard time believing people would really want to spend their vacation time in a suit, being interviewed, even at the firm's expense. For me, I can say that the real problem is the 3 day notice for cancellations. Often callbacks start coming in a few days after the interview; by the time you start to have enough callbacks where you would consider cancelling an interview, it's past the 3 day deadline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While people might joke around about that, I have a hard time believing people would really want to spend their vacation time in a suit, being interviewed, even at the firm's expense. For me, I can say that the real problem is the 3 day notice for cancellations. Often callbacks start coming in a few days after the interview; by the time you start to have enough callbacks where you would consider cancelling an interview, it's past the 3 day deadline.
What is this 3-day deadline you're talking about? If you're not interested in a callback, cancel.

From NALP:
If you find it necessary to cancel or reschedule a callback interview, please do so as far in advance as possible as there will likely be penalty fees and/or nonrefundable airfares for which the employer will be obligated to pay. If working with a travel agency, be sure to cancel or reschedule your travel arrangements directly with that agency in addition to letting the employer know. It is usually better to cancel a callback if you know you would not accept an offer from that employer. Employers will not be insulted; rather you will be saving them and yourself unnecessary time and effort. Of course, only cancel if you are sure you would not accept an offer, and don't forget to check the firm's travel policy to confirm you will not incur non-refundable travel expenses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Not for callbacks, for OCI. I agree, one should absolutely cancel callbacks after one has an offer they want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:27 pm

any more callbacks today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 pm

MoFo LA CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

MoFo LA CB

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Goodwin Procter Menlo Park Callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Goodwin Procter Menlo Park Callback
there seems to be a pattern to these s.v. callbacks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Which is?

I would assume you are going to say that we are going to hear back from Wilson Sonsini next.

I think honestly it is because Stanford's OCI is the same time as ours and they are taking a little while to evaluate applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:16 pm

WilmerHale ding via email. Should have listened to OCS about bidding on Boston :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Proskauer ding by email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer ding by email
Chicago or NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which is?

I would assume you are going to say that we are going to hear back from Wilson Sonsini next.

I think honestly it is because Stanford's OCI is the same time as ours and they are taking a little while to evaluate applicants.
Wilson sonsini is out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Anyone hear from Orrick, McDermott, or Ropes (chi)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”