UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago 2011 OCI Discussion and Results

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Pricher Nichols snail ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 am

any early reports on how we did?

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 am

If any 2Ls or 3Ls would be willing to answer a couple questions I have about uchicago pm me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 am

cubbiesyear wrote:If any 2Ls or 3Ls would be willing to answer a couple questions I have about uchicago pm me
just ask here

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cubbiesyear wrote:If any 2Ls or 3Ls would be willing to answer a couple questions I have about uchicago pm me
just ask here
170 3.90-95 white female coming out of undergrad contemplating a Chicago ED..
After being through oci, what do u think of Chicago at sticker? I know u dont have the data yet but does it seem the vast majority have something? Or for 3Ls does nearly everyone have something desirable (PI if they want PI, firm if they want firm) lined up?

Also I'm really intimidated by the prospect of even being able to get median at Chicago. Id be coming from a subpar state school. Id work really hard but it seems that doesn't matter so much, at least according to these boards. how tough is it just to be median and if you're below are people generally able to still get some decent paying firm work?

Sorry so long.

Edit: phone auto correct issues
Last edited by cubbiesyear on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:08 am

cubbiesyear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
just ask here
After being through oci, what do u think of Chicago at sticker? I know u dont have the data yet but does it seem the vast majority have something? Or for 3Ls does nearly everyone have something desirable (PI if they want PI, firm if they want firm) lined up?

Also I'm really intimidated by the prospect of even being able to get median at Chicago. Id be coming from a subpar state school. Id work really hard but it seems that doesn't matter so much, at least according to these boards. how tough is it just to be median and if you're below are people generally able to still her some decent paying firm work?

Sorry so long.
I am a 2L, paying sticker. I'll be working at a V10 this summer and had V5 offers. I came from a run-of-the-mill state school.

It's hard to know if the vast majority have something because the people without jobs are going to be the vocal minority (at least on this board, I never hear anything at school. I have talked to OCS and they have said that most people have something.)

You really don't need to worry about the fact that you came from a "subpar state school." The menagerie shows that the people coming from top-end undergrads are in the minority. Further, it just doesn't matter. There are people who have done extremely well from every kind of school. The last person to graduate with highest honors did undergrad at a branch campus of a state school. It's all about what happens once you get here.

If you like the school, ED.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 am

Any word on how transfers are performing at OCI?

How are employers perceiving transfer students relative to the rest of the class (rank-wise)?

If there are any transfers on this board, please respond and I'll send you a pm. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on how transfers are performing at OCI?

How are employers perceiving transfer students relative to the rest of the class (rank-wise)?

If there are any transfers on this board, please respond and I'll send you a pm. Thanks.
If you're a 1L somewhere else, focus on school there. But with that said - the transfers did well, especially compared to Columbia and NYU because the transfer class here is SO small.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 am

not a UChi transfer, but a transfer at another T10 school. i can say after having gone through OCI there that it's really hit or miss. if you give the interviewers a reason to like you (e.g., you interview well, you have some really interesting WE, etc.), then even the most selective firms (with the possible exceptions of S&C, Cravath, and WLRK) won't exclude you solely because you're a transfer. the fact that you have good grades, even if they are from another school, is usually enough to satisfy a firm's grade requirement if the interviewer likes you enough to give you a CB.

that said, don't think that the grades alone will get it done. you won't have the same margin of error that someone with the same grades at your transfer school has. my guess is that they view you like a top 30-50% student at the transfer school unless, as i mentioned above, you really give the interviewer a reason to like you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not a UChi transfer, but a transfer at another T10 school. i can say after having gone through OCI there that it's really hit or miss. if you give the interviewers a reason to like you (e.g., you interview well, you have some really interesting WE, etc.), then even the most selective firms (with the possible exceptions of S&C, Cravath, and WLRK) won't exclude you solely because you're a transfer. the fact that you have good grades, even if they are from another school, is usually enough to satisfy a firm's grade requirement if the interviewer likes you enough to give you a CB.

that said, don't think that the grades alone will get it done. you won't have the same margin of error that someone with the same grades at your transfer school has. my guess is that they view you like a top 30-50% student at the transfer school unless, as i mentioned above, you really give the interviewer a reason to like you.
Do employers take into consideration the school you transferred from? For instance, would an employer interviewing at UChi differentiate a student who transferred from a T25 from another transfer who transferred from a TTT?

For UChi students, where do the majority of UChi transfers come from?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote: For UChi students, where do the majority of UChi transfers come from?
I'm a 3L at UChicago. I have never heard of a Chicago transfer coming from a non-T50 school. Almost all I know are from T25 schools.

I know that transfers did pretty well last year and the word on the street is that transfers did even better this year. Wouldn't be surprised if the majority had at least one V10 offer.
then even the most selective firms (with the possible exceptions of S&C, Cravath, and WLRK) won't exclude you solely because you're a transfer.
Don't know about WLRK or S&C, but I hear Cravath quite friendly to UChicago transfers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:not a UChi transfer, but a transfer at another T10 school. i can say after having gone through OCI there that it's really hit or miss. if you give the interviewers a reason to like you (e.g., you interview well, you have some really interesting WE, etc.), then even the most selective firms (with the possible exceptions of S&C, Cravath, and WLRK) won't exclude you solely because you're a transfer. the fact that you have good grades, even if they are from another school, is usually enough to satisfy a firm's grade requirement if the interviewer likes you enough to give you a CB.

Do employers take into consideration the school you transferred from? For instance, would an employer interviewing at UChi differentiate a student who transferred from a T25 from another transfer who transferred from a TTT?

For UChi students, where do the majority of UChi transfers come from?
maybe. though i really don't think it matters much if they like you. i know transfers from TTT schools with V5 offers. i know other transfers from "better" schools who couldn't get a V100 offer. totally depends. also depends, i think, on whether the T25 you're transferring from is one the firm usually recruits from. if it is, they'll probably use the same grade cutoff they would use had you stayed there (i.e., if their cut off is top 5% from that school and you were only top 10%, you might have a more difficult time). i actually think in many ways TTT and TTTT transfers have it a little easier, because to transfer into the T10 from one of those schools you usually need top 1-2% grades, which looks more impressive than top 10%, which is usually enough to get you into a T10 from a T1 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:38 am

cubbiesyear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
just ask here

Also I'm really intimidated by the prospect of even being able to get median at Chicago. Id be coming from a subpar state school. Id work really hard but it seems that doesn't matter so much, at least according to these boards. how tough is it just to be median and if you're below are people generally able to still get some decent paying firm work?

Sorry so long.

Edit: phone auto correct issues
I'm not going to touch on the first issue because I'd feel bad at giving wrong advice (although I always advise going for scholarships ITE, especially if MVP offers something nice... but of course you would be risking not getting in to Chicago by not EDing... I guess that's something you have to weigh).

As for the second one, I went to an extremely subpar state school. Odds are you never heard of it. I made it well above median. I know people who are at the tippy top of the class who didn't go to an ivy. With all that being said, law school is a crapshoot... but you can minimize your losses. You just gotta put in the work.

Best of luck in this upcoming cycle. It feels like so long ago that I was in your shoes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:51 pm

husch blackwell (chi) snail rejection. not going to lose sleep over that one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 pm

I know this is difficult, but can any rising 3L give an estimate of the average number of offers that ppl got from OCI? Thanks, much appreciated.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is difficult, but can any rising 3L give an estimate of the average number of offers that ppl got from OCI? Thanks, much appreciated.
It was totally varied. These numbers are so specific to the individual that no one will be able to give you any meaningful generalization.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”