DOJ Honors 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
firemed wrote:This sort of thing can't keep going though, right?

I mean, eventually they need to hire enough attorneys to maintain a base level of efficiency.... right?

They have plenty of attorneys, and ITE anyone with a stable government job is going to stay put. Cutting new hiring is a lot more politically and socially acceptable than laying off older employees, especially since the latter, done poorly enough, could violate the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (which is one-way and protects over-40 workers from discrimination that benefits younger workers, but not vice-versa). Plus, with a large labor pool and depressed salaries nationwide, it's easier for them to fill vacancies individually by hiring experiences attorneys rather than through large recruiting programs.

If you look at what happened in Japan after the housing bubble burst and the recession there... It took over a decade to see real recovery, and those who came of age in the worst years basically permanently lost opportunities. They're even referred to now as a "lost decade" and a "lost generation" by some analysts. I fear the same may happen here.

Considering this, do you think as 3Ls (and probably 2Ls), we should be focusing on targeting the private sector? It seems like government is going to be a dead end. At least until the election, and even then, it seems like the Republicans have the Democrats over a barrel when it comes to any kind of funding.

It's just extremely frustrating because working for the government this summer, and having friends there too, the govt. does have a ton of work and not enough people. Compared to the private sector where work seems to ebb and flow now and you can be stuck twiddling your thumbs nervously for a few weeks. Yet the govt. just can't hire.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
firemed wrote:It's just extremely frustrating because working for the government this summer, and having friends there too, the govt. does have a ton of work and not enough people. Compared to the private sector where work seems to ebb and flow now and you can be stuck twiddling your thumbs nervously for a few weeks. Yet the govt. just can't hire.

Dude, I don't think there would be associates billing 2700 a year if all private firms do is "twiddle their thumbs."

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:54 pm

johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
firemed wrote:It's just extremely frustrating because working for the government this summer, and having friends there too, the govt. does have a ton of work and not enough people. Compared to the private sector where work seems to ebb and flow now and you can be stuck twiddling your thumbs nervously for a few weeks. Yet the govt. just can't hire.

Dude, I don't think there would be associates billing 2700 a year if all private firms do is "twiddle their thumbs."

My understanding is that you can sit around twiddling your thumbs all morning then get assigned a project at noon and spend until 3 am working on it, come back in at 7, work till 11pm until project is done, and then twiddle your thumbs the next morning. The inconsistency of the biglaw schedule is quite a thing, apparently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Civil Rights Division is not participating in Honors this year. They previously estimated hiring 12 people on the public website, but now they're not listed as a participating component at all:

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... pants.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Is there any chance of the hiring freeze situation changing by next year? Or will it be too late then for 3Ls anyways?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hiring freezes are rampant across all of the DOJ and have officially been in effect for roughly six months now. I wouldn't bet on federal hiring to pick up in the next year with more impending cuts. And a lot of people I know within the DOJ think that funding will get even more pinched than it is now. GS employees will go their second year in a row without receiving the inflation adjusted locality pay or automatic step increases. Unfortunately I think this will be one of those years where very few people are hired by the fed gov, substantially less than the already small amount.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Hiring freezes are rampant across all of the DOJ and have officially been in effect for roughly six months now. I wouldn't bet on federal hiring to pick up in the next year with more impending cuts. And a lot of people I know within the DOJ think that funding will get even more pinched than it is now. GS employees will go their second year in a row without receiving the inflation adjusted locality pay or automatic step increases. Unfortunately I think this will be one of those years where very few people are hired by the fed gov, substantially less than the already small amount.

Oh well, good thing private sector hiring is booming!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:56 am

Here's a comparison of the announced hiring projections (not the final numbers) for 2011 and 2012:

2011 Honors (hiring done in fall 2010):

Antitrust - 11
Civil - 37
Civil Rights - 10
Criminal - 10
DEA - 10
E&NR - 12
EOIR - 56
BOP - 4
Nat'l Security - 1
SG - 1
Tax - 6-10
Other - 7-9

Total: 165-171

2012 Honors (hiring done in fall 2011):

Antitrust - 13
Civil - 3
Civil Rights - 0
Criminal - 6
DEA - 3-4
E&NR - 7
EOIR - 31
BOP - 2-4
Nat'l Security - 1
SG - 0
Tax - 0
Other - 4-6

Total: 70-75

Keep in mind that this isn't discriminating between temporary and permanent positions. In 2011, all 10 of the anticipated Criminal Division hires were for permanent spots. In 2012, 3 of the 6 Criminal Division openings are for a three-year fellowship. DEA, EOIR, and BOP are temporary spots in both years. Given that 31 spots this fall are for EOIR, it looks like over half of DOJ's openings this year are for temporary positions.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 pm

A bunch of sections aren't even participating in SLIP next summer, this is ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 pm

What's SLIP looking like for next year? I'm a 3L but that might give some indication of what Honors will look like for the next 2 years.

I keep thinking things can't get worse, and then they do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 am

Anyone here a current or former SLIP intern and know when funnel offers are made (or when you're told you're not getting a funnel offer). I'm a current SLIP intern and have no idea how the process will work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here a current or former SLIP intern and know when funnel offers are made (or when you're told you're not getting a funnel offer). I'm a current SLIP intern and have no idea how the process will work.

If you're in Civil Rights or Tax, then the process is "no funnel offers". They're not hiring at all for next year.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here a current or former SLIP intern and know when funnel offers are made (or when you're told you're not getting a funnel offer). I'm a current SLIP intern and have no idea how the process will work.

If you're in Civil Rights or Tax, then the process is "no funnel offers". They're not hiring at all for next year.

I'm at an office that actually has spots for next year and has given funnels out in the past. It remains unclear as to whether funnels are being given out this year, so I was wondering if anyone had any intel.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm

\

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If you look at what happened in Japan after the housing bubble burst and the recession there... It took over a decade to see real recovery, and those who came of age in the worst years basically permanently lost opportunities. They're even referred to now as a "lost decade" and a "lost generation" by some analysts. I fear the same may happen here.

Christ let's hope not. I wonder what, if any, effect this wil have on the administration of the Department, given there will be a nadir of attorneys working its way through the system as a result of the reduced hiring?

hoping my wonderful poast gets quoted on ATL, too

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm

TTH wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:If you look at what happened in Japan after the housing bubble burst and the recession there... It took over a decade to see real recovery, and those who came of age in the worst years basically permanently lost opportunities. They're even referred to now as a "lost decade" and a "lost generation" by some analysts. I fear the same may happen here.

Christ let's hope not. I wonder what, if any, effect this wil have on the administration of the Department, given there will be a nadir of attorneys working its way through the system as a result of the reduced hiring?

hoping my wonderful poast gets quoted on ATL, too

Wow. They pretty much lifted that whole story from this TLS thread. At least they're giving some credit to the site.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Is the SLIP application rolling?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I know this probably sounds like a ridiculous question given the current state of the honors program, BUT...

Are there any current SLIPs out there that have received funnel offers, or does anyone know any SLIPs who have received funnel offers? I'm just sitting here hoping someone will eventually tell me whether I got one or not...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

This seems as good a thread as any to ask if anyone has any good examples of government cover letters. Most schools just have firm-oriented cover letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

(One last try)

To any SLIPs out there: Has your division told you *anything* about funnel offers, even if its just that you aren't getting one? The deadline for funnels is the same as the application deadline, so hopefully the divisions will let SLIPs know one way or the other before then.

mvk216

Postby mvk216 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Anyone know when the DOJ does its interviews for the Honors Program? Anyone hear from them yet? I applied mid-August.
Last edited by mvk216 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:41 pm

mvk216 wrote:Anyone know when the DOJ does it's interviews for the Honors Program? Anyone hear from them yet? I applied mid-August.

We should get interview notices next week...Does your application status on avue still read "application received?"

mvk216

Postby mvk216 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvk216 wrote:Anyone know when the DOJ does it's interviews for the Honors Program? Anyone hear from them yet? I applied mid-August.

We should get interview notices next week...Does your application status on avue still read "application received?"

Thanks, and Yes - it says "Application Received by DOJ"

Return to “Legal Employment”