Market Connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I bid?

Market School Dominates + Market w/ Connections?
100%
NYC + Market w/ Connections?
No votes

Total votes: 1

Anonymous User

Market Connections

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 pm

I am transferring to a t14 in a market known for the premium it puts on connections (read- Boston, DC, San Francisco, Chicago) from a school nowhere near the market. I have no connections to the place other than the school.

Career services contends it is safe to bid this market because the school places extremely well in it and is clearly the best school placing into the market. Furthermore, I was told that despite transferring for the usual reasons, and without any reasonably articulable connection to said market, transferring to this school is a built in connection.

This defies the conventional TLS wisdom which states safely bidding a market other than New York requires connections. How risky is it to bid the Boston/DC/SF/Chi market your transfer school dominates when you have never lived there and no connection other than transferring for superior employment prospects? This is complicated because although all NYC major players are coming, the selection of firms in the major market dominated by my transfer school is still greater.

thesealocust

Re: Market Connections

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

23 risk points.

I understand your question, and why you want to know, but I don't think it can be meaningfully answered - at least not with the info you gave us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:23 risk points.

I understand your question, and why you want to know, but I don't think it can be meaningfully answered - at least not with the info you gave us.

what more information do you require. school and market?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:23 risk points.

what more information do you require. school and market?

If I knew you, I might be able to give you advice. We'd sit down and asses your background and interests and come up with a bid list. But you can't answer in broad strokes. Too many variables. Original school? Background? Age? Work experience? What market it is? Grades at original school? etc. It's just not a question you can answer easily, because at the end of the day you know and point out all the reasons why it's risky, and the exact extent to which you take on that risk is just a hard question. Nobody can ever answer it perfectly.

Return to “Legal Employment”