OCI Cover Letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which date to use?

August date
No votes
July date
75%
Neither
25%

Total votes: 4

PirateCap'n

OCI Cover Letter

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

When writing a cover letter for OCI that will be submitted on symplicity, is it better to put a date on the letter or not? I ask because the dates on my letters are from July. I don't want employers to see it and think that it's a typo, but I also don't want to change it to an August date and have it look like I waited until the last minute to write the letter. Or, is it better just not to have a date on it? I realize that it's probably a stupid question with a clear answer, but I have no idea what that answer might be.

Cupidity

Re: OCI Cover Letter

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:03 pm

I actually put July 4th, I thought it added a subtle psychological touch.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Cupidity wrote:I actually put July 4th, I thought it added a subtle psychological touch.

That you were so poor at time management you had to shut yourself in on the 4th to write cover letters?

I put the date of the day that the bids were due on Symplicity on my letters.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Put a date and make sure there are no typos. If you do not put a date it can make it look like this is a form letter you did not even bother putting a date on. More importantly, proper correspondence has a date and these dates are important in the legal profession (cases turn on the date a letter was sent).

I just put the date that symplicity closes for bidding. That makes it the most recent date that guarantees it is in the past when it is read. You would not want someone reading your letter dated from the future. It isn't a big deal to have a letter dated from a week or two before they read it. That is the way things go. Why are you concerned about having an old date?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Glock wrote:Put a date and make sure there are no typos. If you do not put a date it can make it look like this is a form letter you did not even bother putting a date on. More importantly, proper correspondence has a date and these dates are important in the legal profession (cases turn on the date a letter was sent).

I just put the date that symplicity closes for bidding. That makes it the most recent date that guarantees it is in the past when it is read. You would not want someone reading your letter dated from the future. It isn't a big deal to have a letter dated from a week or two before they read it. That is the way things go. Why are you concerned about having an old date?

Concerned about having an old date because I didn't want it to look odd/draw attention for being dated a month before OCI.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I dated letters for the day I wrote them (or if I was writing them on the day bids were due, a few days before).

I wouldn't expect the date on the letter to have any effect on your prospects for OCI.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:26 pm

doesn't matter a bit

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:56 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Concerned about having an old date because I didn't want it to look odd/draw attention for being dated a month before OCI.

Having no date will look much worse. Having a date in the future would be terrible. Having an older date might actually look better because it shows you get things done early.

None of this really matters. Just put a typo-free date on there.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Yeah, don't choose a date that is obviously later than when you wrote the letter. That would be, essentially, a lie.

Think about it like this: You're going to mail a letter to your mom today, but you know she's on vacation and won't read it for a week. Are you going to put down the day you wrote it or the day you anticipate she's going to read it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 am

What's the right format (July 27, 2011) ?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 am

Yes. You should probably google sample law cover letters for more help re: formatting.

Return to “Legal Employment”