Resume Font Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jkay

Bronze

Re: Resume Font

Post by jkay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I am dying to know. One space or two after a period?

Also, Mr. Seal O. Cust, I would hire the person behind that resume if I ever worked at a big enough shithole where they let me do the hiring.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Garamond or die.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:23 am

Do you think italics still looks okay in Garmond? I had Times but I'm thinking of changing it to Garmond... my employer info is in italics though

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 am

Font - Times (classic and effective, just like me)
Style - Bold & All Caps for section headings (e.g. EDUCATION); Bold & regular capitalization for items within each heading (e.g. Harvard Law School and United States Attorney's Office); italics for position title in experience section (e.g. Law Clerk)
Size - 12 pt.
Bullets - No fucking way

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm

wing

ding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I actually watched this feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. Ever since then, I pay a lot of attention to fonts.

My resume is in Garamond (10.5) font. This could change, though, if I find something better. I'm still experimenting.

denimchickn

New

Post by denimchickn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 pm

16.5 pt yellow Comic Sans with a black background for the body. You really want your credentials to pop out at them.

18.5 pt magenta Wingdings for the headers. If they really want you to work there, the least they can do is take the time to change them into an alphanumeric font.

Also, be sure to strikethrough any employment that you do not currently hold. Not doing so could send the signal that you still work there, which many employers would find misleading.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Geist13 wrote:Font - Times (classic and effective, just like me)
Style - Bold & All Caps for section headings (e.g. EDUCATION); Bold & regular capitalization for items within each heading (e.g. Harvard Law School and United States Attorney's Office); italics for position title in experience section (e.g. Law Clerk)
Size - 12 pt.
Bullets - No fucking way
Here, Here! Bullets are for people who don't have material to fill the page!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 pm

chimp wrote:I actually watched this feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. Ever since then, I pay a lot of attention to fonts.

My resume is in Garamond (10.5) font. This could change, though, if I find something better. I'm still experimenting.
Great film, though you wouldn't want a sans-serif on a resume. :?

Garamond strikes me as too childish. Georgia may well be TCR, and it's available on most all computers.

The fact of the matter is, though, that the size of the type on a resume is going to make any significant differences between various fonts unnoticeable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:05 pm

NZA wrote:Garamond strikes me as too childish.
Really? Garamond strikes me as classy.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

chimp wrote:
Yeah...maybe it's because I used Garamond when I was 12ish on my class papers. I guess I just associate it with junior high.

Again, I'd argue that appreciable differences are going to be non-existent when you finally print it.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:11 pm

NZA wrote:
chimp wrote:I actually watched this feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. Ever since then, I pay a lot of attention to fonts.

Great film, though you wouldn't want a sans-serif on a resume. :?

Garamond strikes me as too childish. Georgia may well be TCR, and it's available on most all computers.

The fact of the matter is, though, that the size of the type on a resume is going to make any significant differences between various fonts unnoticeable.
My resume has been in Helvetica since i graduated 3 years ago, I make sure to imbed fonts and/or save it as a PDF so it doesn't convert into an Arial shitshow.

No negative comments on my resume so far, from career services, attorneys, friends, etc

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm personally a fan of Comic Sans for the body with Papyrus for my contact info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

NZA wrote:
chimp wrote:
Yeah...maybe it's because I used Garamond when I was 12ish on my class papers. I guess I just associate it with junior high.

Again, I'd argue that appreciable differences are going to be non-existent when you finally print it.
It's also the Harry Potter font. But I still LOVE it!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

NZA wrote:
chimp wrote:

LOL yea. I have always been a Times New Roman guy myself up until recently. But you are right, as long as you don't use something ridiculous like Vivaldi or Kristen ITC, nobody will care or notice.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Army2Law wrote:I'm personally a fan of Comic Sans for the body with Papyrus for my contact info.
You sumbitch. :lol:

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:19 pm

NZA wrote:
Army2Law wrote:I'm personally a fan of Comic Sans for the body with Papyrus for my contact info.
You sumbitch. :lol:
Damnit, you use the same style as me? I was trying to make my resume stand out. *returns to drawing board*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:22 pm

chimp wrote:
I really like Garamond.

danidancer wrote:It's also the Harry Potter font. But I still LOVE it!
Also I had NO idea that was the HP font! :D

I downloaded Lumos and used it for econ notes in UG. :oops:

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think there is a better field in the word than law to take the safest and most conservative route with regard to any matter, large or small.
There is conservative and there is "most conservative." If you think choosing Garamond over Times is too risky I don't know what to tell you.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 am

chimp wrote:
And pleasing to the eye - nice curves.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

Let me jump in here with a quick warning about fonts. Don't use fonts that are not universal to most programs and systems. I just received a resume that was sent in .PDF format and the fancy font got compressed when opened on our system. All the words came out as dots and squares - completely unreadable. It had to be sent to the IT department to get it cleaned up and converted to a readable format. Not all recruiters will take that time . . .

Best bet is to avoid downloading special fonts and just stick with the standards - Times, Arial, Calibri, Garamond, Century Schoolbook, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:Let me jump in here with a quick warning about fonts. Don't use fonts that are not universal to most programs and systems. I just received a resume that was sent in .PDF format and the fancy font got compressed when opened on our system. All the words came out as dots and squares - completely unreadable. It had to be sent to the IT department to get it cleaned up and converted to a readable format. Not all recruiters will take that time . . .

Best bet is to avoid downloading special fonts and just stick with the standards - Times, Arial, Calibri, Garamond, Century Schoolbook, etc.
Sounds more like a problem with your Acrobat.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Dany wrote: I downloaded Lumos and used it for econ notes in UG. :oops:
Awesome. I'm going to turn my next workproduct in with this ; )

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm

I think font matters less than the overall cleanliness of the layout.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 pm

jkay wrote: I am dying to know. One space or two after a period?
One space. He makes a pretty irrefutable argument as well. I switched after reading it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”