Resume Font

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Resume Font

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Style? Size?

Discuss.

(Poll to be added later once candidates are clearly identified)

Cupidity

Re: Resume Font

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Big fan of Garamond. Classy, condensed. It makes you feel like there are more words on the page than there actually are. It's conservative without being times or tahoma.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:03 pm

I just go with Times. Simple but gets the job done

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Garamond with a mix of Constantia for the headings

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just go with Times. Simple but gets the job done

I read an article in a buisness magazine (I thought it was Forbes) that said times on a resume was the "kiss of death," and that it showed "lazyness" as you "took the font of least resistance." Unfortunately, I can't find the article to link, hopefully soemone else does.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Calibri - 10 pt

I know, I know. Awesome choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Cupidity wrote:

I read an article in a buisness magazine (I thought it was Forbes) that said times on a resume was the "kiss of death," and that it showed "lazyness" as you "took the font of least resistance." Unfortunately, I can't find the article to link, hopefully soemone else does.

In one person's opinion, that might be the case. But if the content of your resume is good, then it doesn't matter what font you use, so long as its not silly. Sent out 25 mass mails with everything in times and I've racked up 5 interviews so far. I don't think they care about the font as much as Forbes would have you believe. Standard and simple is good in the legal field. Maybe if I were a businessperson I would feel differently.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:13 pm

constantia is the balls

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

In one person's opinion, that might be the case. But if the content of your resume is good, then it doesn't matter what font you use, so long as its not silly. Sent out 25 mass mails with everything in times and I've racked up 5 interviews so far. I don't think they care about the font as much as Forbes would have you believe. Standard and simple is good in the legal field. Maybe if I were a businessperson I would feel differently.

this.
content >>>> form.
i think Times is the safe choice. if i read a resume with cute fonts but the content sucks, i couldn't help but judge the person, and s/he would actually look more douche.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Easily one of the best books on legal writing.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Cupidity wrote:

lol @ the concept of a specific conservative font being a "kiss of death."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:49 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

lol @ the concept of a specific conservative font being a "kiss of death."

Lol yeah, I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of a legal recruiter seeing a great resume, and loving the personality of the student, but saying "yeah, um, I don't think this is gonna work given your lazy choice of font"

I don't think there is a better field in the word than law to take the safest and most conservative route with regard to any matter, large or small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:16 pm

anyone saw the new movie "Bad Teacher"?
there's a 7th grade girl in the movie, who sits in the front row, kisses the teacher's ass all the time, and constantly asking "will i get extra credit if i do XYZ?"

thinking too much about fonts reminds me of this girl -- you are trying too hard.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Verdana. Still updating a Word template that I used to create my first resume years ago. Looks good to me.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone saw the new movie "Bad Teacher"?
there's a 7th grade girl in the movie, who sits in the front row, kisses the teacher's ass all the time, and constantly asking "will i get extra credit if i do XYZ?"

thinking too much about fonts reminds me of this girl -- you are trying too hard.

I think you are taking TLS a bit too seriously? I figured this could be an interesting, and slightly useful discussion. It has at least as much importance as the entire thread we've got going on which has moved from Tie patterns to shoe styles for interviews.

backtothebeat

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:constantia is the balls

I thought Constantia was the poor man's Georgia, or is it vice versa?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone saw the new movie "Bad Teacher"?

I am glad you posted that anonymously. Admitting that you saw Bad Teacher is the kind of sensitive legal employment information that could compromise your identity.

Asking what's a good resume font is not "thinking too much about fonts." You want to make sure your resume is perfect. That said, TNR is fine. Safe and boring is the standard for legal resumes.

I agree that thinking about resume font is certainly reasonable giving some of the neurotic stupidity people bicker over on this site at times. "Should I wear cuff links? You mean big firms won't hire me unless my shoe soles are a certain material? Is it true that statistics show that tie stripes that go downward from left to right harm your chances of being hired as opposed to those that go upward?" (ok, that last one was made up, but you get the point)

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 pm

ITT: TLS posters abuse the anon function like never before.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm

backtothebeat wrote:

uh, I don't know.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm

A few recruiters have said you can't go wrong with Times. Also, at least one recruiter told me that borders are a no-go: it made my resume look like it was done by an outside company that specializes in resumes, which is apparently bad.

backtothebeat

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
backtothebeat wrote:

uh, I don't know.

haha im just messing, there are like 20 fonts that look pretty much the same to me

shastaca

Postby shastaca » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:34 pm

I like century schoolbook.

It looks familiar because a huge number of textbooks printed with it. But almost nobody uses it for much these days. Making it both familiar and but not hackneyed at the same time.

SCOTUS requires Century family fonts so it can't be too bad on the eyes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Garamond is the shit. Check this bad boy out:

Return to “Legal Employment”