2011 Harvard EIP Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GeePee

Re: 2011 Harvard EIP Thread

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:20 pm

No, they're quite attainable. But if your concern was picking up less selective firms to "just get a job," they don't really qualify. FWIW with your grades I think you'll be okay; you might be able to get away with those bids, anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:22 pm

GeePee wrote:No, they're quite attainable. But if your concern was picking up less selective firms to "just get a job," they don't really qualify. FWIW with your grades I think you'll be okay; you might be able to get away with those bids, anyway.

Thanks. I was just concerned because looking through my interviews, the largest 2011 SF class was literally less than 20 people. All the NY firms seem to have hired 50-75, so they hopefully will be relatively easier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice .

I have 7HS/3Ps (including 1 DS). I bid almost exclusively SF because that's where I want to practice (family, fiance, etc.) and because OCS said that someone with my grades should be fine. But now, the markets and small class sizes have me spooked. I want to pick up 3 more NYC firms during the add period. Obviously depends on availability, but which 3 should I add if I'm just interested in getting a job? And, do yall think that 3 NYC interviews is enough (in addition to the slew of SF interviews), or should I crash hospitality suites as well?

I mean, you have nothing to lose by resume dropping. Additionally, Crowell, Jones Day, and Shearman all have a couple of slots available as of now and are decent bets with your grades (Kirkland and Simpson Thacher also have slots, but they don't really meet your criteria).

How did everyone else do interview-wise? I got 28/35, bidding NY and DC. I have 10 interviews on Wednesday. Not looking forward to that.

EDIT: Also, is Cravath the only firm that does 30 minute interviews?

Thanks. By "meet my criteria", do you mean they are out of my grade range?

I don't know if there was a communication error, but 7H/3P with a DS is within the grade range of virtually every firm. I'd add both K&E and STB before any of those 3 firms, especially STB (very large class sizes, IIRC).

Anyone with advice about how best to pick up screeners we missed in the lottery? Can you usually do this during the add/drop periods, or will I need to hustle/hang out in hospitality suites/etc.?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

GeePee wrote:

I have 7HS/3Ps (including 1 DS). I bid almost exclusively SF because that's where I want to practice (family, fiance, etc.) and because OCS said that someone with my grades should be fine. But now, the markets and small class sizes have me spooked. I want to pick up 3 more NYC firms during the add period. Obviously depends on availability, but which 3 should I add if I'm just interested in getting a job? And, do yall think that 3 NYC interviews is enough (in addition to the slew of SF interviews), or should I crash hospitality suites as well?

I mean, you have nothing to lose by resume dropping. Additionally, Crowell, Jones Day, and Shearman all have a couple of slots available as of now and are decent bets with your grades (Kirkland and Simpson Thacher also have slots, but they don't really meet your criteria).

How did everyone else do interview-wise? I got 28/35, bidding NY and DC. I have 10 interviews on Wednesday. Not looking forward to that.

Whoaaa GeePee.. how'd u get 10 interviews in one day? I thought the max was 7 and they wouldn't let you add anymore after that.

Anyways yeah are you going to try to pick up some of the ones you missed? I got 28/35 too but I think I might try to get a couple of the ones I didn't get int he lottery

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Whoaaa GeePee.. how'd u get 10 interviews in one day? I thought the max was 7 and they wouldn't let you add anymore after that.

Anyways yeah are you going to try to pick up some of the ones you missed? I got 28/35 too but I think I might try to get a couple of the ones I didn't get int he lottery

Yeah I'm thinking about adding 1-2 more. I wanted Skadden and didn't get them, but they're interviewing on Wednesday when I already have a ton. I might add STB even though I didn't bid them initially, and after that I'll see if I can try to pick up any of Quinn, Wilmer DC, Sidley DC, and Latham because they were all fairly high bids (10-20 range) that I didn't get.

A couple of the bid results really confused me, especially in DC. For example, GDC DC still has 7 open slots; last year, they were one of the most popular bids for those interested in DC. Covington has 11 open slots, and Steptoe has 28. Weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Need advice. I apologize for making this so abstract but I don't want to out myself by being more specific.

I am very interested in a large firm that has offices in cities A, B, and C, all of which I would be interested in working in. Cities A and B are large legal markets. City C is a secondary market. The firm's HQ is in city A. I grew up in city C and have strong ties to city A.

I bid on this firm for city A and did not get an interview slot. They have no interview slots available for cities A or B, but they have tons open for city C. They ask prospective candidates to interview with one office and to indicate at the interview if they are interested in other offices.

(1) Should I add city C to my schedule during the add/drop period? Will I realistically have a chance of scoring a callback in city A or B if I do so?
(2) If I add city C, do I play up my desire/willingness to practice in city C and working in the same place I grew up, or do I try to hint that I really want city A/B?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Any way to reschedule interview times? Some of my top choice firms are early in the morning, and I'm not a morning person.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any way to reschedule interview times? Some of my top choice firms are early in the morning, and I'm not a morning person.

yeah, I hear you, although if you really don't like mornings, you probably should have put those times as unavailable last week during the conflict scheduling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

adameus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any way to reschedule interview times? Some of my top choice firms are early in the morning, and I'm not a morning person.

yeah, I hear you, although if you really don't like mornings, you probably should have put those times as unavailable last week during the conflict scheduling.

Didn't want to risk losing crucial interviews. I can do mornings -- they just aren't preferable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:11 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how can we see how many people are interviewing with each firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 pm

If they still have spots open you can go to the interview page and switch it to another time. People are probably still shuffling things around so I'd check back often.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Does anyone else have a problem where it shows that interview slots are available (estimated 2L interview slots != 0) and you can't add an interview? I'm having this problem right now, but only for those firms on which I bid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Is there a way to reschedule interviews without dropping the existing interview? I tried dropping one to reschedule it for a different time slot and had a mini heart attack when it looked like I was going to get shut out of interviewing from that firm at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a way to reschedule interviews without dropping the existing interview? I tried dropping one to reschedule it for a different time slot and had a mini heart attack when it looked like I was going to get shut out of interviewing from that firm at all.

Click on the link that displays your interview date (it's either the left-hand column or third from the right depending on which screen you're on). That should take you to a screen with a dropdown menu displaying available days (if applicable) and a radio button to select open times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 am

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 am

nm, add/drop over now anyways lol
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 am

I'm interviewing with my top firm at 4:00pm and have a throwaway interview from 3:20-3:40pm. Should I drop that interview or would it be good practice for the 4pm interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interviewing with my top firm at 4:00pm and have a throwaway interview from 3:20-3:40pm. Should I drop that interview or would it be good practice for the 4pm interview?

How many do you have before that? I had that problem as well and decided to go ahead and use the throwaway for practice because I only had three interviews that day anyways. Also, without the throwaway I would have gone into my top choice cold and I felt it would be better to warm up. But mine are in the morning; do you think you'd feel worn out by 4 PM? If so, I wouldn't do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm

is 26 interviews too many? i'm on the fence about whether to add another interview (at a small west coast satellite office of V75 firm). well above median (6-7 H) w/ties if it matters.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is 26 interviews too many? i'm on the fence about whether to add another interview (at a small west coast satellite office of V75 firm). well above median (6-7 H) w/ties if it matters.

26 seems manageable, but are you adding this firm because you might want to work there or as a CYA? I would add the former but not the latter if you are concerned about having too many interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:41 pm

How do we change the resumes that firms will receive? The EIP guidelines say it is possible to update our resumes until 10 PM tonight. I uploaded a new resume and made it my default, but I don't see any way to attach it to specific firms (the bids still list the old resume file name).

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do we change the resumes that firms will receive? The EIP guidelines say it is possible to update our resumes until 10 PM tonight. I uploaded a new resume and made it my default, but I don't see any way to attach it to specific firms (the bids still list the old resume file name).

Under "Default OCI Resume", change the drop down to the current resume and then select "update all"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:52 pm

GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do we change the resumes that firms will receive? The EIP guidelines say it is possible to update our resumes until 10 PM tonight. I uploaded a new resume and made it my default, but I don't see any way to attach it to specific firms (the bids still list the old resume file name).

Under "Default OCI Resume", change the drop down to the current resume and then select "update all"

Sorry, where do I find the "Default OCI Resume" toggle? I don't see it under the Documents tab...

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Sorry, where do I find the "Default OCI Resume" toggle? I don't see it under the Documents tab...

It's just above the bidlist in the "EIP" tab.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Has anyone emailed the interviewers to try to arrange an interview outside the normal schedule?

Return to “Legal Employment”