2011 Harvard EIP Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2011 Harvard EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:White & Case NY cb this morning

Are weekend callbacks common? I hadn't expected to hear from anyone else until Monday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:This next week will be very important. Letters, calls, and emails will be coming in. Fingers crossed for us all. I would hate for anyone of us to strike out. :)

Do you really think there will be a second wave of cbs though, from firms that have already given them out?

has anyone started rejecting their cbs yet? if not pls do because there are some of us who need them :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:White & Case NY cb this morning

Are weekend callbacks common? I hadn't expected to hear from anyone else until Monday.

Not sure it's common, but some firms do give out callbacks on weekends

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:38 am

just got a callback by email from white & case (WA). has anyone heard from allen & overy or shearman sterling?

also, i need some advice. right now i'm sitting on 5 callbacks...is this too few to reject one that i have particularly little interest in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:just got a callback by email from white & case (WA). has anyone heard from allen & overy or shearman sterling?

also, i need some advice. right now i'm sitting on 5 callbacks...is this too few to reject one that i have particularly little interest in?

1. Yes, Shearman has started offering callbacks.

2. It depends on how many people are weeded out at the callback stage at your firms. If you're looking at firms where 75% of callbacks get offers, you're probably fine. If it's more like 25%, then be careful. If you really have no interest in working at a particular firm, I don't know why you'd bother going for a callback, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got a callback by email from white & case (WA). has anyone heard from allen & overy or shearman sterling?

2. It depends on how many people are weeded out at the callback stage at your firms. If you're looking at firms where 75% of callbacks get offers, you're probably fine. If it's more like 25%, then be careful. If you really have no interest in working at a particular firm, I don't know why you'd bother going for a callback, though.

I'm scheduling every callback I've gotten. I've scheduled my top choices at the beginning, and will cancel the rest if I get an offer early on. Is this poor form? I feel uncomfortable declining opportunities without having something in hand.

Has anyone heard from Morvillo?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 am

has anyone heard from hughes hubbard?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm scheduling every callback I've gotten. I've scheduled my top choices at the beginning, and will cancel the rest if I get an offer early on. Is this poor form? I feel uncomfortable declining opportunities without having something in hand.

I don't think this is wrong as long as you could conceivably see yourself working at any of the firms you have scheduled. If you really wouldn't work at a place then its better to cancel, but yeah I am also trying to schedule my top choices first so that I can cancel others later if possible.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:

even if the firms are 75% it could still be risky. maybe OP is a bottom 10% interviewer and would get consistently rejected at CB phase. just schedule the one of little interest in week 3 of CB season so you can cancel if you line up an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard from hughes hubbard?

Hughes Hubbard NY CB yesterday. Initials RF and BG.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: the above discussion ... is it better etiquette to cancel callbacks before you schedule them / reply to the interviewer? I always just wrote back thanks to the interviewer quickly because OCS seems so adamant that you respond promptly, but I'm also on the fence about going through with one. Haven't scheduled it yet but have replied to my interviewer. I guess I'll do what others have done and put it on the third week and cancel if something else comes along, but I don't know whether you run the risk of burning bridges if you do that.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: the above discussion ... is it better etiquette to cancel callbacks before you schedule them / reply to the interviewer? I always just wrote back thanks to the interviewer quickly because OCS seems so adamant that you respond promptly, but I'm also on the fence about going through with one. Haven't scheduled it yet but have replied to my interviewer. I guess I'll do what others have done and put it on the third week and cancel if something else comes along, but I don't know whether you run the risk of burning bridges if you do that.

well, it comes down to priorities i guess and just how you want to look at things. keeping it till week 3 might be a tad more annoying to the firms, but is the more risk averse route. personally, im doing what i did for law school, etc., which is only go w/ ones i have serious interest in and not wasting time (mine or theirs) on any of the others...but only to the point where i have a good number and spread of reach, target, and safeties lol.

you can reply first, say you're waiting on your schedule like OCS states on the site, and will get back to them some time next week...see what other cbs you get and then make the call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:14 pm

sullivan & cromwell callbacks anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Shearman interviewer initials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:54 pm

what do you think is the average # of callbacks at this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what do you think is the average # of callbacks at this point?

Is there one, really?

It's so market/firm dependent. I talked to a few people outside of interview suites just yesterday who were both targeting North Cal. They said they didn't have any cbs...but then they told me that North Cal takes a lot longer to get back to people. If you bid heavily on NYC you should have more cbs than those who bid on other markets, however, just because NYC firms tend to get back to people at a faster rate.

ETA: Also, the number of interviews people decided to sign up for varies wildly. Some people only had like 12, whereas others had like 25+. I know someone who did 30.

I imagine that any average number of callbacks would be purely speculative at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: the above discussion ... is it better etiquette to cancel callbacks before you schedule them / reply to the interviewer? I always just wrote back thanks to the interviewer quickly because OCS seems so adamant that you respond promptly, but I'm also on the fence about going through with one. Haven't scheduled it yet but have replied to my interviewer. I guess I'll do what others have done and put it on the third week and cancel if something else comes along, but I don't know whether you run the risk of burning bridges if you do that.

well, it comes down to priorities i guess and just how you want to look at things. keeping it till week 3 might be a tad more annoying to the firms, but is the more risk averse route. personally, im doing what i did for law school, etc., which is only go w/ ones i have serious interest in and not wasting time (mine or theirs) on any of the others...but only to the point where i have a good number and spread of reach, target, and safeties lol.

you can reply first, say you're waiting on your schedule like OCS states on the site, and will get back to them some time next week...see what other cbs you get and then make the call.

Um, on doing what you did for law school--unlike for law school, we need a job. We had alternatives to law school. I'm definitely being more risk averse about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Anyone hear from Gibson Dunn NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what do you think is the average # of callbacks at this point?

Is there one, really?

It's so market/firm dependent. I talked to a few people outside of interview suites just yesterday who were both targeting North Cal. They said they didn't have any cbs...but then they told me that North Cal takes a lot longer to get back to people. If you bid heavily on NYC you should have more cbs than those who bid on other markets, however, just because NYC firms tend to get back to people at a faster rate.

ETA: Also, the number of interviews people decided to sign up for varies wildly. Some people only had like 12, whereas others had like 25+. I know someone who did 30.

I imagine that any average number of callbacks would be purely speculative at this point.

True. Any thoughts on the avg #s for DC & NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Gibson Dunn NY?

Dinner invitation = callback. Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was not invited to Gibson Dunn dinner but received a call back today... NY office

I think what you said might be truer for the Quinn Emanuel dinner invite last night...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was not invited to Gibson Dunn dinner but received a call back today... NY office

I think what you said might be truer for the Quinn Emanuel dinner invite last night...

Speaking of Quinn, has anyone gotten the official callback call/email from them yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Haha, same here re: Gibson Dunn CB. Also NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:17 pm

so when will we start getting snail mail rejections? I barely have any cbs and am wondering if there are going to be any second waves of cbs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is there one, really?

True. Any thoughts on the avg #s for DC & NY

I agree that any exact numbers must be speculative but the avg is probably mainly based on 1: if you went for NY v. any other location (due to speed of callbacks) and 2: how many interviews you did.

I've heard of a person doing 35 interviews all in NYC due to weak grades and only ~1 year of work experience but already getting 11 cbs. Then there are others with much stronger grades but aiming for DC or CA and thus only have 3 cbs so far.

Return to “Legal Employment”