MVPB BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Re: MVPB BigLaw

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:49 pm

I really wish I remembered you who are. Somebody told me once, but I can't remember.

You track down people from online? If you really want to know that bad, I'd be happy to introduce myself when we get back. I wonder who I know who was in your section . . .
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marija

Postby marija » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
You track down people from online? I wonder who I know who was in your section . . .

Nah, came up in conversation randomly. Somehow were talking about TLS and someone said "Oh, that guy Veyron, yeah, that's ______."

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 pm

marija wrote:
Veyron wrote:
You track down people from online? I wonder who I know who was in your section . . .

Nah, came up in conversation randomly. Somehow were talking about TLS and someone said "Oh, that guy Veyron, yeah, that's ______."

If you really want to know, I'd be happy to introduce myself when we get back.

marija

Postby marija » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
marija wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Nah, it's cool. I like to keep my internet life and real life separate.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:55 pm

marija wrote:
Veyron wrote:
marija wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Nah, it's cool. I like to keep my internet life and real life separate.

Fair enough.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:04 am

Veyron wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I made a mistake, but you've posted already so I'll just note it here. It's 2010 NLJ250 data, not 2009. And yes, it's 45%. Are you seriously suggesting ~20% of Boalt rising 2L's land 2L SA's through OCI, but ~45% of graduates have those same kinds of jobs after graduation?

Those numbers lag the current hiring market by several years bro. Do your research next time before investing 200k into something.

The c/o 2010 was one of the hardest hit. They did OCI during the beginning period of the economic recession.

Ummmm, no, this is just wrong. CO 2011 was the lost generation. c/o 2010 had start dates deferred but still got offers.

I don't want to get into this thread, but sometimes you just need to chill out with your "I'm in law school and therefore think I should be a prick" gig.

In any event, you're completely wrong about what you told this person (s)he was wrong about. The original term "lost generation," as used within the legal hiring community, definitely includes the c/o 2010 (http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/nalp-confirms-class-of-2010-is-lost/), and it most likely includes the c/o 2009, too (http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/nalp-2010-nalp-executive-director-james-leipold-talks-to-the-lost-generation/).

The c/o 2010 was one of hardest hit without a doubt. Any security that they felt in getting more SA positions than c/o 2011 was more than lost by the absolutely atrocious no-offer rates. Even where the SAs were lucky enough to fall into the dismal percentage that managed to snag an offer, many of them went on to face deferral programs that, at a large number of firms, were widely understood to be extended severance packages. While c/o 2011 had it significantly rougher during the OCI part of the process, they benefited on the back end because firms were very hesitant to no offer after taking reputation hits from doing that to the c/o 2010. Both classes had different but equally shitty experiences. Many will argue that at least the c/o 2011 had two years to figure out what to do rather than facing a ton of unemployed 3Ls who thought they had some level of job security. Either way, to suggest that the "lost generation" only includes c/o 2011 and that c/o 2010 was not devastated by the economic hiring climate is just silly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:33 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Veyron wrote:
orlando123 wrote:Read that ~70% of CCN got something last fall out of oci. What about MVPB. I'm guessing 55% P 50 V, 45 M, 40 B?

B was more like 20% according to my friend there. P is about on par with NYU with quibbles over who is higher.

Uch. Here we go again. Boalt was actually more like 60-70% according to what I heard.

According to the CDO hard data, at least 134 offers from OCIP employers were accepted. The CDO could not pull data from certain firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”