Lookin' for a job with The Valkyrie Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Valkyrie

Bronze

Re: Lookin' for a job with The Valkyrie

Post by The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 pm

yeah.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Good story. You're like a gentler, poor man's areyouinsane. Except you cry a lot.
Thanks for saying this. I was trying to think of what to say to The Valkyrie in appreciation for his story.

Now if only you could get a coffee mug that said this . . .

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

gwuorbust wrote:the fuck
Srsly. Also, pretty sure just walking into the office of rando attorney you don't know and asking for a job is pretty damn unprofessional.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 pm

paratactical wrote:
Srsly. Also, pretty sure just walking into the office of rando attorney you don't know and asking for a job is pretty damn unprofessional.
But he had business cards with his picture on them...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I really hope OP is a girl.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm

paratactical wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I really hope OP is a girl.
That's what I thought at first too and that it was a self 'tar. But in the story the guy calls him "young man"

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm a man.

Or really, I should say, I'm a male.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:I'm a man.

Or really, I should say, I'm a male.
Another awesome post.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

But your profile and this post http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=153228 say female...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:58 pm

goodolgil wrote:But your profile and this post http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=153228 say female...
I used to have another name on here, but then decided to start fresh with another one. I pretended to be a girl for a little while, mostly because I was embarrassed about my General Hospital username and avatar.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

goodolgil wrote:But your profile and this post http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=153228 say female...
The Valkyrie wrote:The Valkyrie has been ripped from her firm job.
Maybe The Valkyrie is only female when referring to himself in the third person. After all, a Valkyrie is always a female. Sort of like a boat.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:I pretended to be a girl for a little while, mostly because I was embarrassed about my General Hospital username and avatar
again.

the fuck

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
I used to have another name on here, but then decided to start fresh with another one. I pretended to be a girl for a little while, mostly because I was embarrassed about my General Hospital username and avatar.
Soooo you're a guy who likes to pretend to be a girl, watches General Hospital, cries when people call him out on being unprofessional and you're surprised permanent work is proving difficult to find?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 pm

paratactical wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:
Soooo you're a guy who likes to pretend to be a girl, watches General Hospital, cries when people call him out on being unprofessional and you're surprised permanent work is proving difficult to find?
Well that last post is bordering on some pretty harsh gender stereotyping.

Anyway, OP. Consider writing a book about your law school and post-law school experiences. I feel like it might do reasonably well. Your story had me cracking up (I'm sorry, I know this was personally painful for you).

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

paratactical wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:
HA! I like you.

I wouldnt say I like to pretend to be a girl, but I do watch General Hospital from time to time (some might say that qualifies). I can't help it - I love the Spinelli character.

It wasn't so much being called unprofessional that made me cry - I'm a litigator, and I have tougher skin than my recent posts betray. It was more about getting viciously yelled at. Now I've been yelled at quite a bit in me time, but this was just so unexpected. I thought, at best, the guy and I would have a little conversation and bond over being lawyers in Small Town, and at worst he would ignore the card, say "Ok" and go back to his work. Maybe I should have expected to be screamed at? i don't know, either way I didn't, and I havent had that kind of reaction before or since. Most of the time, lawyers are quite happy to take my card. Most of the attorneys around here are very congenial and have been really supportive of me, even people I don't know. I had an attorney come up to me after the Quaker meeting and give me her card, said she wanted to help, all totally unsolicited.

It's cool though. I probably should have just left the card by the front desk, but I figured hey, he's got his door open, it's right here at the top of the stairs, and we're in the middle of downtown Small Town - he must get clients just walking in here with PI or DWI cases or whatever unsolicited. Guess I was wrong though.

And with the crying - I have to say that I have been crying a lot lately, but that's all related to being unemployed. I don't think there's anything shameful or peculiar about crying when losing a job, especially in the manner in which I lost mine.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:
Well that last post is bordering on some pretty harsh gender stereotyping.

Anyway, OP. Consider writing a book about your law school and post-law school experiences. I feel like it might do reasonably well. Your story had me cracking up (I'm sorry, I know this was personally painful for you).
That's sweet of you to say. I don't think I have enough law-related experiences worth filling a book with, but I have considered writing a book about my mother. The woman is unbelievable.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 am

areyouinsane gets banned and the valkyrie arises. Are we sure this is not the same person? maybe multiple personalities. Mods can we get an IP address check? Or do you ban using the IP address.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 am

gulcregret wrote:areyouinsane gets banned and the valkyrie arises. Are we sure this is not the same person? maybe multiple personalities. Mods can we get an IP address check? Or do you ban using the IP address.
Doubt it. The Valkyrie does not have the same vitriol toward the system as areyouinsane.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am

Wholigan wrote:
gulcregret wrote:areyouinsane gets banned and the valkyrie arises. Are we sure this is not the same person? maybe multiple personalities. Mods can we get an IP address check? Or do you ban using the IP address.
Doubt it. The Valkyrie does not have the same vitriol toward the system as areyouinsane.

True, but like I said, multiple personalities. Who else writes really long posts telling crazy stories? IDK, just running with this idea right now because I'm bored.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 am

areyouinsane would probably end the post regretting ever going into the law field and trying to get people on his side.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 am

The Valkyrie wrote:I figured I would hand out my "business" cards to the local firms. This is in a town that has a large square around the courthouse, with literally two dozen law offices and a place called the "Barrister's Bar" or whatever.

Also, who else uses the bolded phrase quite frequently in his/her stories?

areyouinsane wrote:It was really funny one day about 3 years ago when I was starting a gig at SullCrom. My project was starting the same day that the SA class was starting, and they had this big reception table set up in the lobby with 'Welcome Class of '08" or whatever.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

I thought areyouinsane was a conspicuous flame from the very beginning.. I thought that's what made it funny.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 am

I'm not areyouinsane. I'm sure were not the first nor last people to write narrative posts or use the phrase "or whatever." I live in the south, nowhere near NYC and I've never worked doc review.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

gwuorbust wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:I pretended to be a girl for a little while, mostly because I was embarrassed about my General Hospital username and avatar
again.

the fuck
This, to the whole thread

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 am

Last edited by 98234872348 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”