ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolROCKS22

Re: ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys

Postby lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.

Your delusion is cute. Search the forum for the bloodbath that was Chicago's 2010 OCI. In fact, I'll search for you because that's just the kinda guy I am.

Here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=127861

Oh yeah, right, this seems absolutely horrible. Sorry, I did not read all 23 pages, but after I saw this post I figured best to say, I rest my case.

23 interviews
-19 callbacks
-multiple markets
-top 10%
-9 callbacks accepted
-5 offers, waiting on 4 most recent

Yup, one person in the top 10% does very well. Therefore, all people at CCN do very well!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 pm

You gotta love when two people that are both wrong, but convinced that they're right, argue. It's pretty funny. However, lawschoolrocks is winning pretty easily right now.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Uh yeah I know. I'm talking about your shtick of believing that 3K/wk jobs are a dime a dozen and that a single person who did well at Chicago OCI means that people at CCN have nothing to worry about... it can't be real.

Who said they were a dime a dozen? Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Nevermind, somehow I got the impression that you were incredibly naive about law school, but now I see you already know the secret about "bringing your A game" so clearly you will be making six figures shortly. Good luck!

ETA:

Renne Walker wrote: $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them)

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Uh yeah I know. I'm talking about your shtick of believing that 3K/wk jobs are a dime a dozen and that a single person who did well at Chicago OCI means that people at CCN have nothing to worry about... it can't be real.

Who said they were a dime a dozen? Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.

LOL. You're the only one that is "bringing their A game" at top schools, right? Brilliant!

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:I don't post on this site much. I used it sometimes while applying to law school, used it sometimes during 1L year to get advice on exams and stuff, and use it sometimes now when I'm looking for advice on legal employment. That said, I would like to nominate areyouinsane for best poster this site has ever had. His stories are hilarious and highly relevant for anyone not attending a HYS level law school.

LOL yep, I'm sure it's HIGHLY RELEVANT for top 1/3 people at CCN.

Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.

lawschoolROCKS22

Postby lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You gotta love when two people that are both wrong, but convinced that they're right, argue. It's pretty funny. However, lawschoolrocks is winning pretty easily right now.

Both wrong about what? That I, along with about 1/3 of my classmates, struck out at OCI and don't have a job lined up that could help us pay off a six-figure debt? Because I can assure you that I am VERY unemployable. Thank you.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Renne Walker wrote:

LOL.... You will be going to a very good school, so your chances for big law are good, but everyone brings their A game to that kind of institution... Even at NYU, you still would be better off putting your money on black
Last edited by Total Litigator on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:46 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:You gotta love when two people that are both wrong, but convinced that they're right, argue. It's pretty funny. However, lawschoolrocks is winning pretty easily right now.

Both wrong about what? That I, along with about 1/3 of my classmates, struck out at OCI and don't have a job lined up that could help us pay off a six-figure debt? Because I can assure you that I am VERY unemployable. Thank you.

You are both relying on anecdotal evidence. Yours is more convincing (because it is yourself), and you have a much better grasp on the market (other poster is a 0L it seems like), but you basically said in your first post that "if you don't go to HYS, you will do doc review." At NYU and Columbia, well over half the students got something out of OCI.

lawschoolROCKS22

Postby lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:51 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:

You are both relying on anecdotal evidence. Yours is more convincing (because it is yourself), and you have a much better grasp on the market (other poster is a 0L it seems like), but you basically said in your first post that "if you don't go to HYS, you will do doc review." At NYU and Columbia, well over half the students got something out of OCI.

I said that if you don't go to HYS, areyouinsane's stories are "highly relevant." Highly relevant doesn't mean that everyone who goes to a school other than HYS will do doc review. It just means that there's a legitimate chance that the world he's describing will soon become your own. Hell, I'm a rising 3L. I'm not reviewing any documents right now. I'm merely accepting the possibility that doc review will happen to me too since I've seen it happen to other similarly situated people. HYS seem to be the three law schools that are more or less recession proof, and even they aren't 100% safe (just damn close).

Anyway, does anyone have any other interesting stories about doc review/temp work? Would be interesting to hear some.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Renne Walker wrote:Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.

Hahahahahahahahahahah. Good luck with that. Given your fool-proof plan, I'll be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if it doesn't work out.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:59 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Anyway, does anyone have any other interesting stories about doc review/temp work? Would be interesting to hear some.

Your are right, this is a doc review thread. Waving goodbye, since hopefully, I will never have anything to add about doc reviews. Best of luck to all!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 pm

blurbz wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.

Hahahahahahahahahahah. Good luck with that. Given your fool-proof plan, I'll be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if it doesn't work out.

I know, right. She's the first to ever think of that.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:There is no way you are real

LOL. I am an OL. . . what I posted was from a Chicago student.

Don't let facts stand in your way. This is not a weight-loss program, you can't dig up contradictory evidence to buttress your delusion. The number of available $3000 SA positions are not relevant per se unless contrasted with the demand for said positions. Think like an economist. This is not to dissuade you in any way but your assertions thus far borders on a weird mix of delusion and naïveté. Going to NYU is by no means a safe bet, I have no idea why you insist on believing otherwise. You can do all the right things and still end up fucked. In fact you can get no-offered even if you get an SA position. Worse, you can get canned (see Latham) if your SA turns into a permanent offer. It's a gamble all the way through.

Good luck....

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:There is no way you are real

LOL. I am an OL. . . what I posted was from a Chicago student.

Don't let facts stand in your way. This is not a weight-loss program, you can't dig up contradictory evidence to buttress your delusion. The number of available $3000 SA positions are not relevant per se unless contrasted with the demand for said positions. Think like an economist. This is not to dissuade you in any way but your assertions thus far borders on a weird mix of delusion and naïveté. Going to NYU is by no means a safe bet, I have no idea why you insist on believing otherwise. You can do all the right things and still end up fucked. In fact you can get no-offered even if you get an SA position. Worse, you can get canned (see Latham) if your SA turns into a permanent offer. It's a gamble all the way through.

Good luck....

Or your firm can dissolve. Remember Howrey? Please remember that you have to pay close attention to everything about getting jobs. Even great grades at a great school may not save you if you bid incorrectly. The doors to law firms don't open by magically hitting above median at NYU. There is plenty of tough competition from schools all over the country for those biglaw summer jobs.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:29 pm

These are excepts from the same thread you pulled your anecdote:

"top 20% no callbacks...what's going on? I feel like there are a lot less callbacks than last year."

"Top 5%, Katten and McDermott Chicago email dings, no callbacks. "

"Legitimately fucking terrifying."

"178-178.5 interviewed with about 22 firms so far. No callbacks, mostly east coast offices"

"That's rough. For NY at least, probably out of luck. I bid only on NY, and I don't think it's as easy as people keep making it out to be."

"Okay, so are we agreed that this is a bloodbath, or is U.Chi really moving _this_ slowly?"

"bloodbath = Confirmed. I know many people with above median grades with only 0 or 1 callback. I have only heard of a couple of people with more than three callbacks."

"It's sink or swim. I know someone with 16 out of 23 screeners"

"Checking NU, CLS and other threads confirms that it really is a sink or swim type of deal. Across the board, people have either nailed or been shut out out of OCI."

"179
20 interviews/17 in Chicago
0 CBs
2 dings"

"officially a bloodbath."

"Skadden ny. Initials dd. This wasn't my callback though. A little above median and NOTHING."

"People need to calm down and be patient. I think we won't know if this was a bloodbath until we are through. Also, bidding conservatively helps with the number of callbacks. Don't overbid your grades, young 1Ls."

"I agree. I'm the 179 horror story above, but I talked to an OCS Counselor today. She told me that these Chicago firms have really bought into hiring in waves. As long as you don't get dinged, you're on a waitlist somewhere. The people who are swimming in CBs can't accept all those jobs. The conservative Chicago hiring process is just very stressful and it seems like we're all stuck in No Man's Land"

Feeling the heat yet...? Well, hang on...

"Things really seem to suck in New York for the median crowd. I really hope they are doing waves as well.

"mid 178's are doing no better in NY. I have heard that DC is just terrible. Although if firms are doing multiple rounds of callbacks who knows"

"I hate to admit it, but this looking more and more like a bloodbath. I wish OCS had better prepared us for this.

Median, good WE = 1 CB, 6 Rejections"

Etc Etc...there are 25 pages. This isn't a TTT, it's freaking Chicago for Christ's sake.

Also be cognizant of the fact that these are SA positions after which there is still a potential to get no-offered, after which there is a potential to get Lathamed.

Feeling lucky?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:59 pm

To be fair, top third at CCN is a pretty good position. As far as I know, CCN continued to place at least half the class in NLJ250 spots throughout the crisis. The positions were undoubtedly less plentiful and less prestigious, and some in the top third undoubtedly struck out. But overall, I wouldn't be too nervous if I were in the top third at CCN.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.

Your delusion is cute. Search the forum for the bloodbath that was Chicago's 2010 OCI. In fact, I'll search for you because that's just the kinda guy I am.

This thread shows no evidence that Chicago did bad last year in OCI. I honestly haven't polled all of the 2Ls, but I would guess that at least 75% got great jobs. Just because some guy who struck out in the thread says that "it was a bloodbath," doesn't mean it actually was. From what I've heard, just those that were at the median and bid Chicago super heavy (didn't understand that New York was where the most jobs were at) had big problems.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:These are excepts from the same thread you pulled your anecdote:

"top 20% no callbacks...what's going on? I feel like there are a lot less callbacks than last year."

"Top 5%, Katten and McDermott Chicago email dings, no callbacks. "

"Legitimately fucking terrifying."

"178-178.5 interviewed with about 22 firms so far. No callbacks, mostly east coast offices"

"That's rough. For NY at least, probably out of luck. I bid only on NY, and I don't think it's as easy as people keep making it out to be."

"Okay, so are we agreed that this is a bloodbath, or is U.Chi really moving _this_ slowly?"

"bloodbath = Confirmed. I know many people with above median grades with only 0 or 1 callback. I have only heard of a couple of people with more than three callbacks."

"It's sink or swim. I know someone with 16 out of 23 screeners"

"Checking NU, CLS and other threads confirms that it really is a sink or swim type of deal. Across the board, people have either nailed or been shut out out of OCI."

"179
20 interviews/17 in Chicago
0 CBs
2 dings"

"officially a bloodbath."

"Skadden ny. Initials dd. This wasn't my callback though. A little above median and NOTHING."

"People need to calm down and be patient. I think we won't know if this was a bloodbath until we are through. Also, bidding conservatively helps with the number of callbacks. Don't overbid your grades, young 1Ls."

"I agree. I'm the 179 horror story above, but I talked to an OCS Counselor today. She told me that these Chicago firms have really bought into hiring in waves. As long as you don't get dinged, you're on a waitlist somewhere. The people who are swimming in CBs can't accept all those jobs. The conservative Chicago hiring process is just very stressful and it seems like we're all stuck in No Man's Land"

Feeling the heat yet...? Well, hang on...

"Things really seem to suck in New York for the median crowd. I really hope they are doing waves as well.

"mid 178's are doing no better in NY. I have heard that DC is just terrible. Although if firms are doing multiple rounds of callbacks who knows"

"I hate to admit it, but this looking more and more like a bloodbath. I wish OCS had better prepared us for this.

Median, good WE = 1 CB, 6 Rejections"

Etc Etc...there are 25 pages. This isn't a TTT, it's freaking Chicago for Christ's sake.

Also be cognizant of the fact that these are SA positions after which there is still a potential to get no-offered, after which there is a potential to get Lathamed.

Feeling lucky?

Panic attack, initiated.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Whiskeyjack

Postby Whiskeyjack » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:09 am

Have you guys seen Renne Walker's T14 Class of 2014 thread over on the C/O 2014 forum?

Jesus Christ, I hope the kid is just flaming.

//It goes without saying, be weary of posting in it lest you meet with our glorious martyr's fate.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 am

Whiskeyjack wrote:Have you guys seen Renne Walker's T14 Class of 2014 thread over on the C/O 2014 forum?

Jesus Christ, I hope the kid is just flaming.

//It goes without saying, be weary of posting in it lest you meet with our glorious martyr's fate.

Pretty funny. Looks like no one has taken the bait yet

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

This thread shows no evidence that Chicago did bad last year in OCI. I honestly haven't polled all of the 2Ls, but I would guess that at least 75% got great jobs. Just because some guy who struck out in the thread says that "it was a bloodbath," doesn't mean it actually was. From what I've heard, just those that were at the median and bid Chicago super heavy (didn't understand that New York was where the most jobs were at) had big problems.

I think they bid Chicago super heavy because they wanted to spend their lives living and working in Chicago. They probably weren't super interested in NYC. I read that the number of SA jobs in Chicago is about a third of what it was before ITE. Before, most of these people would have easily gotten jobs from OCI. I don't think that it was only the kids from median who didn't get jobs through OCI. And since when has being median at Chicago been anything less than a great accomplishment and a stellar credential for your future career? Median at Chicago puts a student very high in the list of all law school graduates. Don't think that the median students at Chicago are not to be respected.

But you are right, it would be nice to know where they ended up for 2L SA.

edit some more quotes from that thread:

mid 178's. 17 interviews, all NY. 0 cb, 1 confirmed rejection. Any hope?

Things really seem to suck in New York for the median crowd. I really hope they are doing waves as well

mid 178's are doing no better in NY. I have heard that DC is just terrible. Although if firms are doing multiple rounds of callbacks who knows

My point is that people from all schools need to be pro-active when searching for 2L SA. I think there are people on this forum who believe this:

Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
(bolded for emphasis)

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:04 am

For god sakes, more hilarious/terrifying tales of mundane doc review.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 am

vanwinkle ruined our entertainment.

Return to “Legal Employment”