What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RMstratosphere

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Link?

Search function?

Notre Dame seems awesome.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Veyron wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
LOL not even close to true.

Proof?

NLJ placement. /discussion.

NLJ is SPS, in many markets, lots of firms that pay 6 figs aren't on the NLJ - see for example AZ. That doesn't mean that ASU does any worse than Fordham at getting students good jerbs.
Someone link to those Excel charts that dude made of every school's reported salary info, controlled for % not reporting. They might be stickied somewhere. That should settle this one way or another. On my phone or I'd hunt them down.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Yeah, as if I'm the biggest troll on this site. You guys are ridiculous. BC and BU place over 30%, and yet they're just as good as T50s as well apparently.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:31 pm

[/quote]Someone link to those Excel charts that dude made of every school's reported salary info, controlled for % not reporting. They might be stickied somewhere. That should settle this one way or another. On my phone or I'd hunt them down.[/quote]

It should settle it if, you know, it was adjusted for COL and we actually had reliable data on sallary info. Minor points.

PM61

Postby PM61 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah, as if I'm the biggest troll on this site. You guys are ridiculous. BC and BU place over 30%, and yet they're just as good as T50s as well apparently.

Chill dawg

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:40 pm

PM61 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah, as if I'm the biggest troll on this site. You guys are ridiculous. BC and BU place over 30%, and yet they're just as good as T50s as well apparently.

Chill dawg

Did you make an account just for that?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Veyron wrote:
Someone link to those Excel charts that dude made of every school's reported salary info, controlled for % not reporting. They might be stickied somewhere. That should settle this one way or another. On my phone or I'd hunt them down.[/quote]

It should settle it if, you know, it was adjusted for COL and we actually had reliable data on sallary info. Minor points.[/quote]So what you're trying to say is that Phoenix will pay that much less than the kind of smaller Midwestern markets (aside from Chicago, which will be subsumed by the top 25% data anyway) places like UIUC and WUSTL place into? Phoenix <<<< Cincy Louisville and KC, sounds plausible. Except they all start at 110 or less. The data is reliable. That's why I said "controlled for % not reporting." Schools mislead, they don't actively make up BS data points within their classes. It'll bear one side or the other out - I lean towards NDirish's side, but I'm not averse to being proven wrong if it can be done.
Last edited by stratocophic on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Someone link to those Excel charts that dude made of every school's reported salary info, controlled for % not reporting. They might be stickied somewhere. That should settle this one way or another. On my phone or I'd hunt them down.

It should settle it if, you know, it was adjusted for COL and we actually had reliable data on sallary info. Minor points.[/quote]So what you're trying to say is that Phoenix will pay that much less than the kind of smaller Midwestern markets (aside from Chicago, which will be subsumed by the top 25% data anyway) places like UIUC and WUSTL place into? The data is reliable. That's why I said "controlled for % not reporting." Schools mislead, they don't actively make up BS data points within their classes.[/quote]

I thought we were talking about ALL T-1s. Phoenix should pay about on par with STL.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Veyron wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Veyron wrote:

It should settle it if, you know, it was adjusted for COL and we actually had reliable data on sallary info. Minor points.
So what you're trying to say is that Phoenix will pay that much less than the kind of smaller Midwestern markets (aside from Chicago, which will be subsumed by the top 25% data anyway) places like UIUC and WUSTL place into? The data is reliable. That's why I said "controlled for % not reporting." Schools mislead, they don't actively make up BS data points within their classes.[/quote]

I thought we were talking about ALL T-1s. Phoenix should pay about on par with STL.[/quote]Right. And schools like wustl, ND and UIUC don't just place into one city. If other T1s are as good, it won't matter what market rate is for the smaller cities, they'll be relatively close and a 5 or 10k difference is easily explained away because it's a different market. I'm of the opinion that more people per school will be making 6 figs or close within the t25/30 than out, and market rate shouldn't make much of a difference.

Edit: yeah, I know we are was just running with the example you gave, sorry about the ambiguity

Bonus edit: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Here's the link. I'll try and read it to see if it gives a general idea, but like I said I'm on my phone so...

PM61

Postby PM61 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
PM61 wrote:

Chill dawg

Did you make an account just for that?

no

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Doesn't Fordham do better than most other non t14 t-1's in NYC biglaw placement? Seems unfair to lump every non t14 into the same category
Last edited by wildcat25 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm

From a cursory glance, looks to me like, on average, 10-15% more students in the t25-30 range have salaries within the "25th percentile reported" mark than at the next rung down. Using that as a basis would control for market rates too, by normalizing outliers like CardoZo with its NYC salaries. I.e. More people make what the school says they make in the top 25-30ish, which is generally 6figs. More people are unreported at the lower ranked schools, which probably means 50k or unemployed. At least that's how I interpret all of this.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:05 pm

wildcat25 wrote:Doesn't Fordham do better than most other non t14 t-1's in NYC biglaw placement? Seems unfair to lump every non t14 into the same category

Yes it does. Just as BU and BC outstrip other schools when placing in Boston.

Fordham does better than schools that are significantly higher than it on USNWR in BigLaw placement, just because it places so heavily into NYC.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:22 pm

wildcat25 wrote:Doesn't Fordham do better than most other non t14 t-1's in NYC biglaw placement? Seems unfair to lump every non t14 into the same category

All schools place better in their home market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm

how did this thread turn into a discussion about which schools are better? lollll

robert85

Postby robert85 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

NYC appears to be strong for hiring this year. Already got 2 interviews lined up from mass mailing. Also, from what I can tell from NALP, summer class sizes are huge in NYC.

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Veyron wrote:

True, but you can't say that Cardozo (just as an example of a NYC market school) is on the same level as Fordham in terms of job opportunities:

Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Aston2412 wrote:

Fordham does better than schools that are significantly higher than it on USNWR in BigLaw placement, just because it places so heavily into NYC.

I've been lied to...

Time to remedy the situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

wildcat25 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

True, but you can't say that Cardozo (just as an example of a NYC market school) is on the same level as Fordham in terms of job opportunities:

Nobody suggests that is the relevant comparison. The comparison is between Cardozo and other T1 schools that are more highly ranked. Obviously if both Cardozo and Fordham are bumped in NYC, they aren't suitable for direct comparison. Compare Cardozo's NYC placement to OTHER (read: not Fordham) 25-35ish ranked schools.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:

I've been lied to...

Time to remedy the situation.

How so?

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wildcat25 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Nobody suggests that is the relevant comparison. The comparison is between Cardozo and other T1 schools that are more highly ranked. Obviously if both Cardozo and Fordham are bumped in NYC, they aren't suitable for direct comparison. Compare Cardozo's NYC placement to OTHER (read: not Fordham) 25-35ish ranked schools.

How is that not relevant to discussing whether every non t14 t-1 is the same? It shows that in a given market, one places better than the other, showing that they aren't the same? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Aston2412 wrote:How so?
I came across a thread in which it was said that if one sincerely wanted biglaw in NYC that it would simply be better to retake and reapply rather than go to Fordham.

Edit:

Oh damn - reading comprehension fail.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:58 pm

You're not allowed to want BigLaw anyway, you have a Crass avatar

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:You're not allowed to want BigLaw anyway, you have a Crass avatar

Let me sellout in peace! :twisted:

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lower T1 here. OCS told us that 90% of the Top 10% landed something at OCI last year. More employers are showing up this year.

My feel for it is that last year top 20% had a decent shot at our OCI while this year top 25% will have a decent shot.

hastings?

No. We're in flyover country and our NLJ250 rank significantly outperforms our USNWR rank.

Sounded like Hastings to me as well.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 pm

If you want to work in NYC, Fordham's a solid choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”