What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lower T1 here. OCS told us that 90% of the Top 10% landed something at OCI last year. More employers are showing up this year.

My feel for it is that last year top 20% had a decent shot at our OCI while this year top 25% will have a decent shot.


hastings?

UVA2013
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby UVA2013 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am

Does anyone know about secondary markets? Particularly those in the South (Atlanta/Birmingham/Charlotte/Richmond/Etc)...


This

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 am

There was a pdf I saw a week ago with estimated 2012 SA class size as reported by firms. I forget which firm it was, but it was a top firm that started with S and they were increasing their class size from 100 this summer to 150 next summer. Probably should saved that pdf when I opened it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lower T1 here. OCS told us that 90% of the Top 10% landed something at OCI last year. More employers are showing up this year.

My feel for it is that last year top 20% had a decent shot at our OCI while this year top 25% will have a decent shot.


hastings?


No. We're in flyover country and our NLJ250 rank significantly outperforms our USNWR rank.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:59 am

Trequartista wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:I was making a generalization. T10 is a great school but with the market in recent years you'd be remiss to come out on the other side of OCI without a job and start asking yourself if you really want to do law. All of this assumes BigLaw is why you're going to law school of course, which could be fallacious in and of itself.


Hasn't MVP outplaced NYU the past couple of years tho?


NYU students will tell you that this is because NLJ250 stats do not account for PI, which a significant number, 10% or more, get at NYU.


Excuses don't make winners.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 am

UVA2013 wrote:
Does anyone know about secondary markets? Particularly those in the South (Atlanta/Birmingham/Charlotte/Richmond/Etc)...


This


I know a couple of Southern markets were abysmal last year. Many firms had miniscule summer classes or none at all. This year will certainly get better in terms of summer associate classes, but I would still approach southern firms with caution as the offer rates down here will still likely be comparatively low (outside of the top Vwhaterver firms).

I would recommend splitting your summer if you are going to spend at least half of the summer at a firm down here.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby beachbum » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:16 am

For what it's worth, the largest firm (Bryan Cave) in my home market (STL) is raising its starting salary back up to $125k. It had been lowered to $110k during the recession. Another large firm (Lewis Rice) is also upping its pay to $125k. I'm also hearing reports of increasing SA classes.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:As I said, I was making a generalization.

Different schools place differently. Cornell has very high placement, for instance, compared to other T14s.

My point was if you aren't at a top school, reevaluate.


Coming from someone who attends a T25...


I'm at a T20 and yes, given the opportunity I'd go back and do it again differently.

I thought a T20, while obviously not T14, would mean national mobility and plenty of job prospects. And that might have been true in the past but doesn't really hold up as well these days.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby JCougar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 am

beachbum wrote:For what it's worth, the largest firm (Bryan Cave) in my home market (STL) is raising its starting salary back up to $125k. It had been lowered to $110k during the recession. Another large firm (Lewis Rice) is also upping its pay to $125k. I'm also hearing reports of increasing SA classes.


$125K is a monsterous salary in St. Louis, given the cost of living. I'd much rather do that than work in NYC for $160K and throw half of that down the drain on taxes, cab fare, and rent.

I hope things are getting better here because I bid highly on a lot of STL firms.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:As I said, I was making a generalization.

Different schools place differently. Cornell has very high placement, for instance, compared to other T14s.

My point was if you aren't at a top school, reevaluate.


Coming from someone who attends a T25...


I'm at a T20 and yes, given the opportunity I'd go back and do it again differently.

I thought a T20, while obviously not T14, would mean national mobility and plenty of job prospects. And that might have been true in the past but doesn't really hold up as well these days.


LOL at T20 vs T25 vs T30. I mean, GW, ND, and BC are all peers and one is a 'T20' one is a 'T25' and one a 'T30.' While Minnesota has been a T20 recently and is not a peer to these schools, never mind IU.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:As I said, I was making a generalization.

Different schools place differently. Cornell has very high placement, for instance, compared to other T14s.

My point was if you aren't at a top school, reevaluate.


Coming from someone who attends a T25...


I'm at a T20 and yes, given the opportunity I'd go back and do it again differently.

I thought a T20, while obviously not T14, would mean national mobility and plenty of job prospects. And that might have been true in the past but doesn't really hold up as well these days.


LOL at T20 vs T25 vs T30. I mean, GW, ND, and BC are all peers and one is a 'T20' one is a 'T25' and one a 'T30.' While Minnesota has been a T20 recently and is not a peer to these schools, never mind IU.


All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.


Proof?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.


Proof?


NLJ placement. /discussion.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.


Proof?


NLJ placement. /discussion.


For realz?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.


Proof?


NLJ placement. /discussion.



Link?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Link?


Search function?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Link?


Search function?


Notre Dame seems awesome.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:LOL at T20 vs T25 vs T30. I mean, GW, ND, and BC are all peers and one is a 'T20' one is a 'T25' and one a 'T30.' While Minnesota has been a T20 recently and is not a peer to these schools, never mind IU.


There's a reason people differentiate it. The same reason you say T25 instead of T30 is the same reason I'll say T20 instead of T25. I wish I could say T25 because it would mean I had opted for BU instead of GW which would be paying dividends in OCI this time of the year.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Link?


Search function?


Notre Dame seems awesome.


LOL. This.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL at T20 vs T25 vs T30. I mean, GW, ND, and BC are all peers and one is a 'T20' one is a 'T25' and one a 'T30.' While Minnesota has been a T20 recently and is not a peer to these schools, never mind IU.


There's a reason people differentiate it. The same reason you say T25 instead of T30 is the same reason I'll say T20 instead of T25. I wish I could say T25 because it would mean I had opted for BU instead of GW which would be paying dividends in OCI this time of the year.


You're right, I should stop saying T25. But I don't want to say T30 or T20, I mean the fact is that the US News rankings are just kind of random in this area. I guess I could type out...BC/BU/GW/WUSTL/UIUC/NDLS/Fordham every time?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Link?


Search function?


Notre Dame seems awesome.


LOL. This.


Why are these posts anon? I'm not trolling for my school, but it's obvious that there is a difference between, for instance, GW and American, or USC and Hastings/Davis, or ND/WUSTL/UIUC and IU/Minnesota/Iowa. The numbers bear it out.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Yes. Trying to equate a school like BU to a school like UGA just doesn't mesh.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Models & Bottles. NY to 190 8)

Seriously, I've also heard class sizes are going up :).

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All non T-14 T-1s are peers with the possible exception of UCLA, Vandy and Texas


LOL not even close to true.


Proof?


NLJ placement. /discussion.


NLJ is SPS, in many markets, lots of firms that pay 6 figs aren't on the NLJ - see for example AZ. That doesn't mean that ASU does any worse than Fordham at getting students good jerbs.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.