What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 pm

About the same as last year? Worse but not as bad as 2009? Much better, but not nearly as good as 07?

Heartford

Re: What is everyone hearing in terms of hiring this year?

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About the same as last year? Worse but not as bad as 2009? Much better, but not nearly as good as 07?

Is this an invitation to just cram all of the wild speculation and rumors from this whole section into one thread? If so, I'm getting some popcorn.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 am

Most indicators say better than last year. How much? Hard to say, probably not significantly but enough that you should be reservedly optimistic. We won't see 07 numbers again for a very long time.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 am

Based on what has happened so far, I'mma gonna go out on a limb and say I've changed from cautiously pessimistic to cautiously optimistic.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 am

Firms are anticipation double dip recession and cutting back accordingly.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 am

rad law wrote:Firms are anticipation double dip recession and cutting back accordingly.

I dunno man, rumors from my bros at firms say hiring is going up this year.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:07 am

rad law wrote:
rad law wrote:Firms are anticipation double dip recession and cutting back accordingly.

I dunno man, rumors from my bros at firms say hiring is going up this year.

boaltrising3l

Postby boaltrising3l » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:16 am

Too early to say, markets have crashed considerably last year and recovery has been far worse than projected. I'd guess worse than last year but better than two years ago.

IF we do default though, all bets are off.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 am

boaltrising3l wrote:Too early to say, markets have crashed considerably last year and recovery has been far worse than projected. I'd guess worse than last year but better than two years ago.

At least in NYC corporate practice is very busy and firms are hiring 3Ls. M&A, cap markets, etc transactions are way up this year.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 am

rayiner wrote:
boaltrising3l wrote:Too early to say, markets have crashed considerably last year and recovery has been far worse than projected. I'd guess worse than last year but better than two years ago.

At least in NYC corporate practice is very busy and firms are hiring 3Ls. M&A, cap markets, etc transactions are way up this year.

+1

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:30 am

rayiner wrote:

From what I hear, NYC seems to be recovering somewhat.

The Chicago market, however, seems to still be incredibly shitty. Kirkland & Ellis and a few other firms are back to hiring a full class again, but for the most part, class sizes are still cut in half, if not more.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 am

Boston hiring is up about 5-10%. Ropes and Foley are increasing class size, and Choate is ressurecting their 10-12 person program after they no-offered everyone in 2009 and put it on hiatus in 2010. Jones Day opened up a new office, which has fewer than 20 attorneys at present, but they are coming to BU and BC's OCI for their Boston Office, so perhaps they are looking to expand? I know Boston is a bit wonky, so its hard to generalize to other markets, but things look good in the Hub.

gradesmatter

Postby gradesmatter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 am

NYC is definitely recovering and should be better than last year (bigger class sizes, etc.)

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 am

Veyron wrote:Based on what has happened so far, I'mma gonna go out on a limb and say I've changed from cautiously pessimistic to cautiously optimistic.

Wow! Coming from this guy, this is a good sign. As a 0L, I will remain cautious, period.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
Veyron wrote:Based on what has happened so far, I'mma gonna go out on a limb and say I've changed from cautiously pessimistic to cautiously optimistic.

Wow! Coming from this guy, this is a good sign. As a 0L, I will remain cautious, period.

In spite of the relative positivity of this thread, as a 0L, unless you've been accepted to a T6, you should take this opportunity to genuinely reevaluate whether you want to go to law school.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

Aston2412 wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:

In spite of the relative positivity of this thread, as a 0L, unless you've been accepted to a T6, you should take this opportunity to genuinely reevaluate whether you want to go to law school.

So are you suggesting that a T10 is not good anymore??

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 am

I was making a generalization. T10 is a great school but with the market in recent years you'd be remiss to come out on the other side of OCI without a job and start asking yourself if you really want to do law. All of this assumes BigLaw is why you're going to law school of course, which could be fallacious in and of itself.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 am

Aston2412 wrote:I was making a generalization. T10 is a great school but with the market in recent years you'd be remiss to come out on the other side of OCI without a job and start asking yourself if you really want to do law. All of this assumes BigLaw is why you're going to law school of course, which could be fallacious in and of itself.

Hasn't MVP outplaced NYU the past couple of years tho?

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 am

icouldbuyu wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:I was making a generalization. T10 is a great school but with the market in recent years you'd be remiss to come out on the other side of OCI without a job and start asking yourself if you really want to do law. All of this assumes BigLaw is why you're going to law school of course, which could be fallacious in and of itself.

Hasn't MVP outplaced NYU the past couple of years tho?

NYU students will tell you that this is because NLJ250 stats do not account for PI, which a significant number, 10% or more, get at NYU.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:29 am

Duke placed around half of its class into SA firm jobs in the V100 for this summer. So I would say that any "T10" school is still a pretty solid investment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 am

Does anyone know about secondary markets? Particularly those in the South (Atlanta/Birmingham/Charlotte/Richmond/Etc)...

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 am

As I said, I was making a generalization.

Different schools place differently. Cornell has very high placement, for instance, compared to other T14s.

My point was if you aren't at a top school, reevaluate.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 am

Aston2412 wrote:As I said, I was making a generalization.

Different schools place differently. Cornell has very high placement, for instance, compared to other T14s.

My point was if you aren't at a top school, reevaluate.

Coming from someone who attends a T25...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 am

Lower T1 here. OCS told us that 90% of the Top 10% landed something at OCI last year. More employers are showing up this year.

My feel for it is that last year top 20% had a decent shot at our OCI while this year top 25% will have a decent shot.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

As someone said earlier, Chicago is showing signs of recovery, but they are not great. K&E, Sidley, Jenner, MWE, and Winston are looking to hire a decent amount of SAs. Outisde of those firms things are not so bright. NYC is a bright spot, the west coast is looking pretty slow. DC is never a safe bet. Is it better than last year? Yeah, I think so. Is it 2007? OMGfuckno.

Return to “Legal Employment”