shitlaw/midlaw===>biglaw ? ? ? ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
applejacks

shitlaw/midlaw===>biglaw ? ? ? ?

Postby applejacks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I want to realistically know what the odds of lateraling to biglaw are if you start out in midlaw/shitlaw. I'm very concerned that I will not land biglaw at OCI this year and will have to settle for a job that pays less than 160k to start. If I have to settle for midlaw or shitlaw, will I ever be able to get biglaw in the future? How would I go about lateraling if this is even possible?

vanwinkle

Re: shitlaw/midlaw===>biglaw ? ? ? ?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm

applejacks wrote:I want to realistically know what the odds of lateraling to biglaw are if you start out in midlaw/shitlaw. I'm very concerned that I will not land biglaw at OCI this year and will have to settle for a job that pays less than 160k to start. If I have to settle for midlaw or shitlaw, will I ever be able to get biglaw in the future? How would I go about lateraling if this is even possible?

This doesn't really happen often enough to be a viable career strategy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 pm

applejacks wrote:I want to realistically know what the odds of lateraling to biglaw are if you start out in midlaw/shitlaw.

Zero.

applejacks wrote:If I have to settle for midlaw or shitlaw, will I ever be able to get biglaw in the future?

No.

applejacks wrote: How would I go about lateraling if this is even possible?

It isn't.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm

applejacks wrote:I want to realistically know what the odds of lateraling to biglaw are if you start out in midlaw/shitlaw.

Pretty close to zero. But if you want something to hold on to, I was talking with my professor/mentor last week and she mentioned a former student of hers that started out in a midsize insurance defense lit firm and has worked his way to K&L Gates.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 pm

While I have some optimism for this year's OCI (I've got good stats), I think we should all honestly be at the point where if we get a job that pays a decent wage (IMO anything 65k+) that would allow you to a) pay loans, b) live in a decent apartment/area and c) food + other expenses, that would mark a successful OCI.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 am

I don't mean to raise your hopes beyond reason, but a friend of mine worked at a small/mid firm for a couple years, lateraled to a slightly larger firm, then lateraled to a V20. She said there were none others in her class from a similar situation, but there you go.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 am

Lol at "settling" for a midlaw or shitlaw job ITE. That's the spirit!

Return to “Legal Employment”