Dumb resume capitalization question...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ObLaDiObLaDa

Dumb resume capitalization question...

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

If I'm listing a few examples of things I did at my previous firm, and include something like, "Drafted numerous memoranda of law on issues such as the equal protection clause and forum non conveniens", would you capitalize EPC or FNC?

WhiskeyGuy

Re: Dumb resume capitalization question...

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 pm

If I remember correctly from the Chicago Manual of Style, you do not capitalize "equal protection clause." I'm as certain on FNC, but I bet that is lowercase as well.

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

I definitely believe FNC is not capitalized, but I'm not sure about EPC. Most websites seem to capitalize it but obviously that doesn't mean it's proper.

I almost think I should just capitalize it because over-capitalization > under-capitalization. Then again, I should probably just consult more writing manuals. Thanks for your help!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 pm

I would ensure you have internal consistency. For example, I mentioned that I worked on a motion for summary judgment in an ADA or Title VII case. If you have something similar, it might make more sense to capitalize all subject matters, rather than have your lower case epc not jive with your capitaliezd IDEA.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 pm

The Blue Book wrote:Also, capitalize parts of the U.S. Constitution when referring to them in textual sentences, but not in citations:

Students in this class have studied the full faith and credit clause of the Pennsylvania Constitution. The students agree that the clause in that constitution is substantially similar to the Full Faith and Credit Clause in the U.S. Constitution.

Rule 8.

Most legal employers are probably cool with you using the Blue Book's rules.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

I was gonna say to look up a law review article and see how they're used, but since the BB has a specific rule on it, go with that.

For the EPC it's probably something that's done both ways enough that it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you're consistent. The NPC doesn't seem like something that should be capitalized, but it might be italicized. (Though I think the BB says only to capitalize only the most obscure Latin terms or something like that.)

Return to “Legal Employment”